Forum Index » Gear Swap » WTB- GOLITE Shangri-la 6 or 8

Display Avatars Sort By:
Adam Kramer
(rbeard) - M

Locale: ATL, Southern Appalachia
Re: Wait a day or two on 08/16/2013 08:02:14 MDT Print View

agreed. ed is the man and he loves his gear. he will be very happy and deserves the good karma.

did ed get his dream house?

Edited by rbeard on 08/16/2013 09:06:46 MDT.

Bud Chapman
(budman5) - M

Locale: Alaska
SL8=SOLD on 08/16/2013 08:59:05 MDT Print View

NT

Edward Zwibel
(YetiEddie) - MLife

Locale: Sunny San Diego
So SAD! on 08/17/2013 15:29:27 MDT Print View

OH NO! I was offline for a day and half and missed it !!!!!!!!!!!! So bummed. I just got the PM! to check the thread...

STILL WANT ONE!

SO bummed.

Thank you all for the kind words in trying to buy me a couple days to check in.... life is busy 4 of my little ones have the flu and it's been a puke fest at my house....

AND I hate puke.

So I've been offline. But everything happens for a reason and something about that wouldn't have been ideal! (lol... just rationalizing ) It's like being the guy in line behind the guy who bought that winning lotto ticket. Oh well.

PS - No cranberries to sick kids.... It's hell on the floors.

Edited by YetiEddie on 08/17/2013 15:34:57 MDT.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: A very flat place (Grrrrrrrr)
Re: So SAD! on 08/17/2013 15:59:49 MDT Print View

Did someone swipe it from under your nose Ed?

Edward Zwibel
(YetiEddie) - MLife

Yup on 08/17/2013 16:22:03 MDT Print View

Thanks Stephen....

I just missed it...

Who knows, perhaps there was urgency to sell it under 2 days....... The hunt continues...

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Yup on 08/17/2013 16:28:58 MDT Print View

Ed,

Your too slow, maybe you should of put a wanted advert up, oh you did already :-)

Adam Kramer
(rbeard) - M

Locale: ATL, Southern Appalachia
wow on 08/17/2013 21:43:40 MDT Print View

ed, i can't believe you didn't get your dream home! i was rootin for ya.

i hope that whoever swiped it, did so only to sell it back to you (for a reduced price) after sewing netting around the perimeter.

this bud's for you.

(edit)

YESSSS I WAS ALMOST RIGHT!!!!!

Edited by rbeard on 08/22/2013 07:18:36 MDT.

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Locale: The WOODS
Another Idea? on 08/17/2013 22:06:04 MDT Print View

Sorry you missed it Ed. Have you considered just a big tarp? You could get a 10x20 blue tarp at Walmart or order a big silnylon tarp from Oware. Ryan Jordan posted a picture of a big tarp a boy scout crew used.

Tarp

Here is a picture of what I did once with a tarp. One tarp pitched this way might work but it obviously would need to be a bigger tarp. You might have to us something sturdier then trekking poles as well. Or you could have two of these facing each other or rig a lean-to off the front with a smaller flat tarp.

Edited by Cameron on 08/17/2013 22:25:41 MDT.

Edward Zwibel
(YetiEddie) - MLife

Thanks Luke on 08/18/2013 09:41:40 MDT Print View

Yes,

We can certainly do that.... however, I'm working with limited bags they have and I don't want to do high desert Utah in late October under the tarp... If I can't get my hands on an sl8 or similar for shelter I have a hogback and a rainshadow I can pair together... kids will just have to sleep separately. I just am a rosy eyed optimist that we can all sleep together in one big group shelter and trade stories till they pass out. One of my favorite things is waking up before them and watching them stir to life......

Something will come up, I know it!

Ed

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Re Thanks Luke on 08/18/2013 14:35:33 MDT Print View

Yeah October might be pushing it, could be done but probably not happily.

We put 12 small campers and two counselors in a 6 man tent once... but I don't recommend it. We thought since the boys were small it would be okay but they rolled around so there was much less space by morning.

Edward Zwibel
(YetiEddie) - MLife

Standby! on 08/18/2013 20:01:48 MDT Print View

There is a development............. A faith restorative development pending! I will advise if I can and when I know more. Be positive!

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Standby! on 08/18/2013 20:09:35 MDT Print View

Fingers crossed Ed :-)

James DeGraaf
(jdegraaf) - MLife

Locale: Bay Area
Re: Standby! on 08/18/2013 20:14:22 MDT Print View

Man, now even I'm interested to see if Ed gets his "house"! I keep checking back to see if the last post says, "I got one!" But not yet, and now I'm crossing my fingers for Ed too.

Edward Zwibel
(YetiEddie) - MLife

The search ends! on 08/19/2013 07:09:24 MDT Print View

Life is good. First, let me say I felt bummed to have missed the SL8 offered by Bud. He reached out to me, followed the thread and sent me a PM that he was offloading his. I got it a day and half later and was just a bit too late. Such is the business of commerce and I was admittedly jealous someone scored this shelter but confident something would happen for me along the same lines.... As you all noted. Bud thank you! I appreciate the heads up and attempt to get in touch...

What will really knock your socks off is that the day after the thread post of Bud selling the SL8... I got an email from someone I'd bought some things from on here for my ladies. This person wishes to remain unnamed... The title was "I swooped the SL8."

Think it braggadocios? Nope. They were letting me know that they saw it going going away that day and they grabbed it with the intention of giving me an email first refusal (They had my actual non PM email ...note to self to include in a WTB thread)and while they'd gladly have used the shelter themselves, they offered it to me in a magnanimous and kind gesture.

So yes, in a roundabout way, the shelter I've been hunting for a long time will eventually land at my house and we will put it to good use. I am thrilled to now not have the shelter issue with such a large group. (Sounds petty but I've actually left kids at home based on how many of us fit.) This will expand our horizons. To that good Samaritan who grabbed it, many thanks! And to all others thanks for your good thoughts and crossed fingers. It was entirely effective!

Edited by YetiEddie on 08/19/2013 07:10:27 MDT.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: The search ends! on 08/19/2013 07:44:55 MDT Print View

That great news :-)

Well done to the person who helped you out.

Garth Collier
(garthc) - MLife

Locale: Singapore
Re: Re: The search ends! on 08/19/2013 08:07:22 MDT Print View

This gives me faith in human nature! Great ending all round. Enjoy!!

Shanon Hedgecock
(Powking12)
Re: Desperately seeking SL8. Help a brother out! It's for the chiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiildren.... lol. on 08/20/2013 11:12:21 MDT Print View

Hey Ed. I'd sure be willing to take that Hogback from you now that you have an "SLhotel". My family of five would appreciate it greatly!

Thanks,
Shanon
Powking12@yahoo.ca

Edited by Powking12 on 08/20/2013 11:14:16 MDT.

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Good news on 08/21/2013 21:53:38 MDT Print View

Well I'm glad that worked out for you! I like my SL-1 a lot so I'm sure you'll have a good time with yours.

Two Tips

Mine is very good if its faced into the wind properly but a wind against the side deflects it a lot unless its staked tightingly. Not a problem but I think I'd use bigger stakes with such a large shelter. I'd be concerned little ti stakes would pull out if a good side wind hit.

If I don't stake mine out right the zipper is stretched a bit at the bottom. Not a big deal, just get it right. I mention it because kids are hard on zippers (my campers destroyed several).

I saw a picture of a group of boys scouts in one of these and it looked huge. I think you'll like it a lot.

I think a tent that big and special needs a name... "Ed's Castle" "Ed's Motel"

Edited by Cameron on 08/21/2013 23:15:32 MDT.

Rod Lawlor
(Rod_Lawlor) - MLife

Locale: Australia
Excellent on 08/21/2013 22:22:24 MDT Print View

This may very well be the last SL6/8 in captivity!!

Luke makes a good point about stakes. I use the Easton tubular 10" for my SL6. Yep, 10". These things are bomber, and the weight on these is pretty good. I found Amazon was the best option to buy them, but that was more about postage than anything.

Edward Zwibel
(YetiEddie) - MLife

thanks! on 08/22/2013 05:09:11 MDT Print View

Thank you both!