Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
WTB- GOLITE Shangri-la 6 or 8
Display Avatars Sort By:
Edward Zwibel
(YetiEddie) - MLife

Locale: Sunny San Diego
Desperately seeking SL8. Help a brother out! It's for the chiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiildren.... lol. on 07/23/2013 16:28:36 MDT Print View

Ok, my family hikes are now outgrowing even my hogback. I don't want to be separated from the kiddos and I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to find someone with an SL6 or SL8 with net tent as well preferably. I have some good stuff to trade if that provides incentive. Some cuben, some mids, bearikade, etc............. PLEASE let me know if you have one. I have an October trip I'm trying for this longshot. Please again, let me know if you have one I might purchase................ It will not be resold and I will use it personally to ensure my clan of 7 kiddos carry forward a lightweight backpacking zeal.... Did I say please?

Thanks folks!

Edited by YetiEddie on 08/17/2013 17:13:29 MDT.

K C
(KalebC) - F

Locale: South West
RE: on 07/23/2013 19:46:36 MDT Print View

Those old SL 6's 8's are pretty rare, and way heavier than spec. Have you checked out the Nemo Hexalite? It's on sale for $315 at campsaver.

Elias Pena
(3crows)
Re: WTB- GOLITE Shangri-la 6 or 8 on 07/23/2013 23:55:19 MDT Print View

Please help this folk before he need a SL12 or similar :)
I'm been looking for the same shelter in a few more places and if I find one I will pass it to you.
BTW: nice FAMILY.

BIG BUMP for this Family!!!!

Rod Lawlor
(Rod_Lawlor) - MLife

Locale: Australia
Good luck and good hunting. on 07/24/2013 05:28:18 MDT Print View

I have the SL6 and access to the Hexalite. I will take the SL6 every time. The Hexalite is reasonable quality, but not quite up to par with the Golite. The poles are very underdone, and I bent one in 5-10 mph winds. I now double pole every time. The Hexalite is much heavier than the Golite, but it is also bigger in every direction. It also requires more pegs and guys for anything approaching stable pitching. ThePentalite arrived today, so I will try to get that up this weekend to compare.

Edward, I'd focus on the SL8 if I were you. I've had six adults in the SL6, but that was either in the snow, or floorless, and sleeping rough. I think you'll struggle for 8, even if some of them are little. Plus, the SL8 will give you a buffer over the next 5 years.

Another option you might like to consider if you get no joy, is a couple of BD Megamids, with the doors facing each other and a tarp over the middle.

Either way, good luck and have fun. It sounds like you guys would be great to do a trip with!

Rod

Jason Elsworth
(jephoto) - M

Locale: New Zealand
mcdane on 07/24/2013 06:11:50 MDT Print View

google mcdane tents

Ben Wortman
(bwortman) - M

Locale: Nebraska
McDane on 07/24/2013 07:18:56 MDT Print View

Those McDane Tents look like a great value! Has anyone had one?

Edward Zwibel
(YetiEddie) - MLife

Looking into all options on 07/24/2013 07:40:19 MDT Print View

Thanks all of you for your PM's and suggestions. I am looking into them all. I've also sent an email out to Bearpaw to see if he can make one of these for me..... I appreciate the advice on the SL8... It may be what I need to go to but either the 6 or 8 would work well while some are still half-sized. I am looking to make trips every few weeks this next year. I'd also love to meet some of you out there and join up for some trips with kids together part of this community. The hunt continues!

brent driggers
(cadyak) - MLife

Locale: southwest georgia
Large Shelters on 07/24/2013 08:12:53 MDT Print View

Oware makes some nice big pyramids. And Seekoutside..

Mike Mooney
(dogplt)

Locale: Washington
Tipi on 07/24/2013 10:49:55 MDT Print View

Check out www.kifaru.net. They make the best tipi's out there. Expensive but worth every penny.

Rod Lawlor
(Rod_Lawlor) - MLife

McDane on 07/25/2013 04:24:05 MDT Print View

Okay, these look okay, and the price is right around the cost of the MLD Circus Tent when it was around. I can't find anything from anyone who's used one though?

It's a bit unfortunate, as I've just bought 3 Hexalites and a Pentalite. I probably would have jumped on one of these if I'd known about it.

Anyone seen one in the flesh?

Rod

Edward Zwibel
(YetiEddie) - MLife

Thanks on 07/25/2013 14:53:53 MDT Print View

If I didn't have the 7 kids, I'd love to drop the wad on a kifaru with stove.... sweet teepees. However, i like eating more than beans and rice at this point... :) Those others look good but I also am wary of something no one else has reviewed etc... Still waiting on the Bearpaw Estimate to build me an sl 6.1 (lol) Anyone have a GOLITE SL6 out there? Still hunting!

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Re: Thanks on 07/25/2013 15:04:46 MDT Print View

Ed,

Would you all fit in an Sl6, I had a 5 and it was more like a 3 person tent.

Might be worth doing me of Franco's mock ups.

Edward Zwibel
(YetiEddie) - MLife

SL8 would be great! on 07/25/2013 17:24:54 MDT Print View

An 8 would be great, but I'd bet an even longer shot than a 6................ I'd love an 8 don't get me wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edward Zwibel
(YetiEddie) - MLife

2 week bump for an SL8/ SL6? on 08/14/2013 15:36:47 MDT Print View

Anyone feel particularly unattached to their kit? Hmmm? Begging/hunting! 8 weeks left until my trip..........

Thanks for looking!

Bud Chapman
(budman5) - M

Locale: Alaska
SL8 on 08/15/2013 19:02:01 MDT Print View

I have an SL8 and I am willing to sell to your family.
It was used briefly for a girl scout troop, still in excellent condition...
Are you interested?

Terry G
(delvxe) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
wow on 08/15/2013 19:27:12 MDT Print View

I wasn't holding out hope for the poor guy. Not many of those around.

Bud Chapman
(budman5) - M

Please reply Ed on 08/15/2013 20:08:35 MDT Print View

ED I've had a couple of offers, but since you started the thread I feel you have first bid . I will wait for a couple of hours for you.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Re: Please reply Ed on 08/15/2013 20:14:21 MDT Print View

Bud,

Did you send a Pm to Ed, I know he really wants one of these.

Cheers,

Stephen

Bud Chapman
(budman5) - M

YES on 08/15/2013 21:40:18 MDT Print View

Stephen I did send a notice.

Rod Lawlor
(Rod_Lawlor) - MLife

Wait a day or two on 08/16/2013 07:35:46 MDT Print View

Hi Bud,

You'll have no problem selling it at any stage. Hold on a couple of days until Ed gets back to you.

Rod