November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Stainless dog bowl as cookpot?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Jacob Linton
(gardenhead) - F

Locale: Western NC
Stainless dog bowl as cookpot? on 07/23/2013 13:19:28 MDT Print View

So I was at goodwill scrounging around and came across a cheapo stainless dog food bowl for $1. Mostly just caught my eye as a cheap sturdy group cook pot. I rarely need anything larger than my evernew 900, but occasionally it would come in handy.

Any reason I should not boil water/attempt to cook in this?

todd h
(funnymoney) - MLife

Locale: SE
Re: Stainless dog bowl as cookpot? on 07/23/2013 13:22:31 MDT Print View

No reason at all, unless you're looking for the lightest bowl/pot. Stainless works great.

And the price was right!

EDIT to reinforce Randy's thoughts below: I was thinking of a standard "bowl" shape. But if it's the type which the edges extend to the floor, then I wouldn't want to use it in the woods.

Edited by funnymoney on 07/23/2013 13:31:29 MDT.

Randy Martin
(randalmartin) - F

Locale: Colorado
Re: Stainless dog bowl as cookpot? on 07/23/2013 13:25:49 MDT Print View

Does it have a handle? Stainless dog bowls I have seen do not and would be awkward to pickup and handle when hot.

brent driggers
(cadyak) - MLife

Locale: southwest georgia
doggie cookpot on 07/23/2013 13:31:58 MDT Print View

I have one that I use as a baking pot for my woodstove. It is very thin and light.

Jacob Linton
(gardenhead) - F

Locale: Western NC
thanks on 07/23/2013 22:07:42 MDT Print View

Awesome, thanks guys. I assumed it would be fine, but I feel like I've seen certain stainless items labeled 'food grade' and that sorta worried me.
I actually picked up two, a 1 qt and 2 qt. They're both pretty light and sturdy and the 1 qt fits in my evernew 900 sidewinder caldera cone pretty well, I figured it'd make a great loaner/gift for someone lacking a kitchen set-up. Anyways, thanks for the input.

Also, the bowls are shaped like this so I think that rim will make them fairly convenient to handle when hot.

Nathan Coleman
Handle on 07/24/2013 07:49:07 MDT Print View

A minute with a drill and a short length of wire will fix your handle issue.