Forum Index » GEAR » If it rains do you keep going?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Stephen Komae
(skomae) - MLife

Locale: northeastern US
learn to love the rain on 07/23/2013 15:01:06 MDT Print View

To a lot of people hiking in the rain is a slog. But I love it. Learn to love it.

If it's hot out and raining, consider not wearing a shell at all. Enjoy the cool rain. Stash your warm layers in a dry bag inside your pack. You can wear the shell later to warm up if you get cold. You are wearing quick-dry synthetics after all, aren't you?

If it's cold out and raining, zip up the shell and relish the cool weather. It's harder to overheat, so you can hike harder instead.

If it's raining when you are sleeping, hope that your tent doesn't leak. And enjoy the sound of rain drops.

If your shoes and feet get wet... learn to live with it. I love to hike in a particularly wet area (the Adirondacks), so regardless of whether it is raining or you are simply stomping your way upstream a river, your feet will get wet. The advice of others here to wear mesh runners and let your feet dry off doesn't work here... by the time my shoes get remotely dry I end up having to traverse another stream. Wear Gore-Tex shoes, socks or neoprene socks to keep your feet warm if it's cold weather. Both will keep water away... for a while.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: If it rains do you keep going? on 07/23/2013 16:38:36 MDT Print View

> if you are out on a multi day walk how do you combat rain?
Bain't no use trying to 'combat' it - you ain't gunna win.

If it is warm enough, we just keep walking and get wet. We'll dry when the rain stops.
If it is cold we put our ponchos on over our packs. We may still get a bit damp, they keep us warm.

BUT - our gear inside our packs stays DRY! By careful design, and some plastic bags inside the stuff sacks, our gear stays DRY! This is not negotiable.

Feet? You probably know my reply. Who cares whether they are wet or dry?

Cheers

James Reilly
(zippymorocco)

Locale: Montana
Dry grear on 07/23/2013 16:58:10 MDT Print View

Roger is right on about the dry gear. Make sure you have a system that works before you set out. For me a compactor bag worked nicely.

If hiking in rain and temps below 50 take extra precaution against hypothermia. Wear as little as possible under your rain gear while on the move keeping all your warm layers in your compactor bag. If you stop for any length of time get dry.

On the AT you have shelters that make it easy to get into dry clothes. On other trails you might have to make your own shelter. Whatever happens don't compromise your dry clothes. Keep that compactor bag closed until you are sheltered.

It's really not a big deal. In summer the rain is refreshing even.

george carr
(hammer-one) - F

Locale: Walking With The Son
Re:If it rains do you keep going? on 07/23/2013 16:59:22 MDT Print View

I love hiking in the rain. Empty trails, fresh smells, plenty of water! And this time of year it can be refreshing (especially out here on the humid east coast).

James Reilly
(zippymorocco)

Locale: Montana
Gortex socks on 07/23/2013 17:02:54 MDT Print View

If the rain might turn to snow I like Gortex socks and non Gortex shoes. Saved my toes in North Carolina this March. Lots of snow.

M B
(livingontheroad) - M
rain on 07/23/2013 18:40:32 MDT Print View

Sometimes rain is nice.
I like a light cool drizzle when the weather is hot otherwise.

I dont like torrential storms

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
Re: If it rains do you keep going? on 07/23/2013 21:27:39 MDT Print View

Learn to like being wet. It's just part of the experience.

If you were sweaty and hot in your rain gear, then don't wear it! In warm rain I always wear shorts and let my legs get wet (wet pants are generally uncomfortable). Sometimes I will even go shirtless. Rain pants aren't necessary unless it's a cold rain.

Don't use a pack cover, line your gear with a trash bag.

Always have dry clothing to change into when you set up camp. You can be warm while wet when moving but when you stop moving you will get cold fast.

In extended cold rain you are going to get wet either way so take a good fleece or wool mid layer to layer under your rain jacket.

Wear shoes with good, aggressive traction for mud.

Just my tips, I'm not super experienced with wet weather.

I think that wet weather trips offer a unique experience but I wouldn't want it to rain on every trip. It would eventually get tiring and detract from the experience.

mik matra
(mikmik) - M

Locale: Allways on the move
Thank you everyone :) on 07/23/2013 23:46:25 MDT Print View

Upon reading the replies my mistakes were;

1.Wearing too many layers under rain gear. I quickly over heated and was sweaty that sucked.
2.Compactor bag for back pack
3.Seperate plastic bags for must stay dry items like sleeping gear and clothes
4.Get a bigger towel for drying off
5.Haven't got any vents on my rain jacket so there might be a modification or 3 coming up!
6.I have high ankled gortex boots.....just love'em, very comfy though very long to dry I have noticed. May need to look into this too but I think I'll wear them out first as they cost me a pretty penny!

I really feel the cold on the best of days so when I am wet as soon as I stop the chills set in. I do wear synth base layers as they are light and very punchy for their weight AND dry quickly.

Thank you for your advice it's very much appreciated!!

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
"Embrace The Suck"... on 07/24/2013 01:15:00 MDT Print View

...as the SEALs say. Just keep walking after donning WPB raingear. But put it on only if you think hypothermia is a possibility without it. Otherwise your regular synthetic clothes can suffice B/C they will dry (relatively) fast later.

(Hypothermia can occcur even in 60F weather if you are wet enough long enough.)

I like eVent for its breathability but I slow down when wearing it so as to not overwhelm its moisture transport capability.

Ot use a Packa. Great design!

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
If it rains do you keep going? on 07/24/2013 01:33:20 MDT Print View

Yes, yes and yes.

Read the article cited by Marc Eldridge; it says it all! Even after almost 70 years of backpacking, I learned new things from it!