Forum Index » Gear Deals » Tyvek Wallet

Display Avatars Sort By:
Kevin Lane
(KEVINLANE) - F
Tyvek Wallet on 07/22/2013 12:18:06 MDT Print View

I was in a Marshall's store, which sells general merchandise at a discount, and picked up a tyvek wallet (0.5 ounces) for $4

Paddy

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Locale: North Woods. Far North.
DIY Tyvek Wallet on 07/22/2013 14:29:03 MDT Print View

Paddy, Thanks, I'm so going to steal that idea. And save $4 by cutting a scrap off the roll I have and using clear packing tape.

Okay. I'm back now. While 6.5" long would work for US currency, for a half length to hold credit cards and driver's license, the entire length needed to be 7.5". I did one full-length pocket for currency (somewhat deeper than strictly needed) and one shallower, half-length pocket for cards. Additional organizer pockets for business cards, etc, wouldn't add much weight.

Results: 3.5 grams. Versus 50 grams for my leather wallet and I tend to buy minimal wallets. And Tyvek is infinitely more waterproof than leather.

Even smaller and lighter would be just a credit-card-sized Tyvek pocket with currency folded to fit.

PM me with your snail mail address if you want me to send you a 20" strip of Tyvek. You're on your own for the packaging tape. I recommend name-brand (3M-Scotch) tape - some of the off-brand stuff tears too easily.

For fishing, I need DL, fishing license, CC, and gas money. I've been tucking that all in a zip-lock, but this Tyvek wallet would work better. For BPing, I'd go with the CC-sized Tyvek pocket, maybe with a tapered flap that doubles back through two slits in the body to close it up.

The other thing I'll use it for is Italy next month. No shortage of pickpockets in Rome and to have a "throw-away" wallet with gelato money and a subway card in it is what I'll handle in public and have in my back pocket. A second wallet with more money, ID, etc, will be tucked in my skivvies (so waterproof is good).

I'll post pics from my phone.

Edited by DavidinKenai on 07/22/2013 14:31:24 MDT.

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

DIY wallet pics on 07/22/2013 14:33:31 MDT Print View

Tyvek Wallet

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: DIY wallet pics on 07/22/2013 14:47:22 MDT Print View

This is a project I want to do. I'm thinking about taping a family picture to the left side.

I like the idea of a throw away travel wallet as well.

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Pics in a wallet on 07/22/2013 15:07:54 MDT Print View

I'm thinking about taping a family picture to the left side.

Simply applying packaging tape to both sides of inkjet photos (even using regular paper) renders them moderately waterproof.

From 3M's website:

"Tyvek® envelopes are compatible with many inkjet systems.*

Can I run Tyvek® Envelopes through a laser printer? No. Laser printers operate at higher temperatures that could soften or melt Tyvek®, causing damage to the printer. Rather than addressing your envelopes directly, run labels through your laser printer, then affix them to the Tyvek® envelopes."

Alas, inkjet ink isn't waterproof, whereas laser printers heat-set their toner into the paper. Rite-in-the-rain does make water-proof stock for laser printers. You could print it with a family photo, emergency numbers, first aid tips, drug dosages, etc, and then make the wallet out of that.

* So you could inkjet print on the Tyvek and then apply the tape over the printed area.

And while I'm thinking about it: afix your name, phone number and a business (not home) address to your phone, wallet, camera, etc. Then if an honest person finds it, you've made it easy for them to return it. The family photo puts a face to the object's owner and probably results in a higher return rate.

Stephen Parks
(sdparks) - M

Locale: Southwest
Re: DIY wallet pics on 07/22/2013 16:12:34 MDT Print View

You bother with 10s and 20s? I guess some people have to.

How about a taller outer panel to form a flap that folds over into the inside before folding the wallet closed so those cards and bills don't slip out? Or maybe just a flap for the cards - the cash may stay put ok.

Edited by sdparks on 07/22/2013 16:13:12 MDT.

Delmar O'Donnell
(Bolster) - F

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio
Small Change on 07/24/2013 16:23:24 MDT Print View

"You bother with 10s and 20s? I guess some people have to. "

LOL, and what makes this even funnier, is that when traveling, it's almost impossible to actually use a $100 bill. Nobody will cash it. Ever try paying for ANYthing in an airport with a hundie? Vendors will give you the dull stare and refuse your business. Some will freak out when they see Ben Franklin. Before I travel, I load up on fives and ones.

Tyvek wallet, great idea.

Edited by Bolster on 07/24/2013 16:24:02 MDT.

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Re: Small Change on 07/24/2013 17:18:57 MDT Print View

>"Some will freak out when they see Ben Franklin."

Eat first. Then pay. They WILL accept it.

But yes, small bills are often helpful even if they weigh one gram each.

This is even more true in third-word countries: Merchants and cabbies will try to claim they can't make change (then hand them only 20 for a 37 Zim dollar bill and suddenly they find some change), but yes, try to get and retain small bills whenever you can.

Early in our involvement in Afghanistan, we only shipped over $100 bills. Nothing smaller. Therefore, the least anything (dinner, a latter) could cost was $100.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Re: Small Change on 07/24/2013 17:20:50 MDT Print View

"Eat first. Then pay. They WILL accept it."

How does that work at McDonalds?

--B.G.--

Jim Colten
(jcolten)

Locale: MN
Re: Small Change on 07/24/2013 20:15:38 MDT Print View

"Some will freak out when they see Ben Franklin."

Eat first. Then pay. They WILL accept it.

Thank you for triggering a trip down memory lane ... from a U. S. Grant worth of years ago.

I had a paper route (remember those?). When I came home from collecting payment the first time my dad asked how it went "not too bad, a few people weren't home and there was one guy who only had a $100 bill and I didn't have enough money to give him change".

Dad offered a solution ... the guy tried that ruse only once more.

The solution? collect from him after I had $100 collected. But first hit up the local grocery store, both corner drug stores and the bar down the street and buy as many $1 bills as they were willing to spare ... and a couple $ worth of pennies. It took a quite while to carefully (oh so carefully) count out 5 Lincolns, 70 Washingtons and 160 copper Lincolns but I enjoyed every minute of it. The jerk happened to be a police officer ... it took a bit of discipline to resist counting the pennies 1 copper, 2 coppers, 3 coppers, ... :-)

Kevin Lane
(KEVINLANE) - F
lost ot on 07/24/2013 21:00:51 MDT Print View

Bellies: What has happened? Instead of inducing purchases I have initiated another myog effort. I have lost the touch For shame

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Tyvek Wallet on 07/24/2013 21:27:22 MDT Print View

My tyvek wallet: http://www.superherostuff.com/mighty-mouse/wallets/mighty-mouse-tyvek-mighty-wallet.html?itemcd=walletmitmoustyvek