Forum Index » GEAR » enLIGHTened equipment product changes in Sept.

Display Avatars Sort By:
Tim Marshall
(MarshLaw303) - MLife

Locale: Minnesota
Re: Re: Re: Re: synthetic and synthetic hybrid on 09/23/2013 11:09:27 MDT Print View

Hello all,

I don't have the new site done nor is the Enigma all set to go but I ran out of my lower cost 850 fill so today I had to change the site to reflect the new cost increase in the Revelation (less than $20 on avg) and the use of the 750 duck down on the RevelationX (and Revolt/RevoltX and Jrs) The X prices have come down a little on the 20* and warmer reflecting the lower down cost.

To soften this change some I'd like to offer $15 off any stock quilt through the end of the month. Plus the free shipping they already qualify for. Use Code "PRICES FALL"

All the stock RevelationX quilts will ship with the new 750 Duck Down from today on. We are having high order volumes but should still be able to ship these by the end of the week.

-Tim

just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear) - M
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: synthetic and synthetic hybrid on 09/23/2013 11:17:32 MDT Print View

Tim, just curious if you have ever thought about making a hybrid quilt like i mentioned earlier, with some apex on one side and some down on the other?

Tim Marshall
(MarshLaw303) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: synthetic and synthetic hybrid on 09/23/2013 11:39:26 MDT Print View

i Haven't put much thought toward it at this point. Hoping to get into winter and work on so new designs. Might even happen this year, but until them I am slammed with new models, updates, fabric sourcing and looking for a new space. No time for more new stuff right now. I'll have to check out your ides though when i get a chance

-Tim

Aaron Sorensen
(awsorensen) - MLife

Locale: South of Forester Pass
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: synthetic and synthetic hybrid on 09/23/2013 19:30:33 MDT Print View

I've made a hybrid with the scree insulation thru-hiker used to sell.
I used a 40" width of the scree along the main body.
Quit fit is 55" wide and fits 6' with 20d fabric and 9 ounces of 800 down.
I sewed the baffles to the scree and the inner fabric, so the outer fabric was seam free for sleeping in mist and foggy conditions.

I have a simlar 9 ounce filled quilt that came in at 15 ounces.
The hybrid came in a 26 ounces. It's between 5-10 degrees warmer than the other quilt, and works great in wet condiions, however, it's just not worth it's weight.

I can bring my 3 ounce bivy and stay just as warm and dry.
It would be a great Seatle quitl for tarping but still heavy.

just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear) - M
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: synthetic and synthetic hybrid on 09/23/2013 20:01:30 MDT Print View

Thank you for the feedback Aaron.

I was thinking more like one layer of 2.5 or 4 oz/sq-yd Apex combined with down, and for something like 20 to 40 degree quilts. Shouldn't be that much heavier than a full down quilt (well a 20 degree quilt with 4oz Apex and rest down will be to some extent). Definitely more noticeably bulkier though.

I think this alternative option would be good for people doing extended hikes, especially at places like the AT where wetness and high humidity are often, but not always experienced.

J C
(Joomy) - M
good options on 09/24/2013 03:02:55 MDT Print View

Looking at your website I think you've made the right choice, Tim. Your RevX is possibly even better value now, and for those who want to pay the extra 100 dollars to save 100 grams the Revelation is still good as ever. You might lose a little interest in the RevX because of the slight stigma against duck down and sub-800 loft but I think it's a better match with the 30D seconds. The people who balk at the 750 duck down are the ones who will be able to rationalise buying a Revelation. ;)

Charlie Murphy
(baltocharlie) - F

Locale: MAryland
Interested on 09/24/2013 09:07:44 MDT Print View

Very interested in one of your RevXs. Sent you an email through your site. website states 3-4 delivery time, does this include in stock items? Western trip in planning stages for mid October departure. Will a quilt make it to me by 10/9?? Thanks

Charlie Murphy
(baltocharlie) - F

Locale: MAryland
EDIT on 09/24/2013 09:08:39 MDT Print View

3-4 weeks delivery time...sorry

Tim Marshall
(MarshLaw303) - MLife

Re: EDIT on 09/24/2013 09:28:23 MDT Print View

Quilts from the instock page will ship by sat. Mon at the latest. Its only that long as the 750 is in transit and not here yet.

-Tim

Jennifer Mitol
(Jenmitol) - M

Locale: In my dreams....
Enigma on 09/24/2013 17:07:57 MDT Print View

Tim, when do you think you might have the enigma ready to go?

Because of course I need a new quilt. Obviously.

Tim Marshall
(MarshLaw303) - MLife

Re: Enigma on 09/24/2013 18:28:23 MDT Print View

Shooting for oct. Some early templates are getting cut this week so I can do staff training. Fabric will be here in 2 weeks, down is here. Just need to do the training and finalize the templates.

-Tim

John Davis
(JCD) - M

Locale: Southeast
Enigma on 09/24/2013 18:52:48 MDT Print View

What type of fabric will you use on the enigma?

Michael K
(chinookhead) - F - M
Downtek RevX? on 09/24/2013 18:53:55 MDT Print View

Tim, I think that it would be a great idea to offer the REV X with a "downtek" option of 700 or the 850 downtek that you already have in stock with an appropriate increase in price based upon the fancier down. I think that many like me would like this option and some people (like me) have been holding off until you received the downtek. I would assume that this would not be much of a burden to you since you make most of your quilts based on individual orders and you already have the 850 downtek. Thoughts?

Tim Marshall
(MarshLaw303) - MLife

Re: Downtek RevX? on 09/24/2013 19:28:26 MDT Print View

Enigma will be using a new 10d made just for me! More downproof yet still super soft and comfy!

I'm not sure about the downtek in the RevX. It costs 3 times what the 750 fill costs. I'll be thinking.

Aaron Sorensen
(awsorensen) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: synthetic and synthetic hybrid on 09/24/2013 20:11:09 MDT Print View

Okay, I could see a 2.5 ounce sewn thru quilt with 3-4 ounces of down added under the apex for a nice 40 degree quilt.

I'm surprised no one has done this yet, however I think the down would be suspended in a permanent clomp and wold loft up all that well under the synthetic layer.

just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear) - M
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: synthetic and synthetic hybrid on 09/24/2013 20:22:00 MDT Print View

I would put the Down just on top of the apex in the quilt so that the apex material wouldn't be compressing the Down down. Some down (or more likely feathers) would work it's way into the apex material i suppose, but i don't see any reason why it should especially clump, except maybe a little from static electricity generated by the apex material..??

As far as keeping the down separated from the apex (as to not work it's way into the apex at all), if one wanted to do that, one could use a very thin, light weight silk in between. But i don't think that would be really all that necessary.

Aaron Sorensen
(awsorensen) - MLife

Re: synthetic and synthetic hybrid on 09/24/2013 21:01:05 MDT Print View

"I think this alternative option would be good for people doing extended hikes, especially at places like the AT where wetness and high humidity are often, but not always experienced."

With the down on top, the purpose of the above becomes useless.

Sorry for trolling Tim.

Edited by awsorensen on 09/24/2013 21:01:42 MDT.

just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear) - M
Re: Re: synthetic and synthetic hybrid on 09/24/2013 21:14:24 MDT Print View

Why? Only if down collapse is coming from precipitation, but not if from consistent high humidity. In the latter case, it won't matter if the down is on top or bottom. Even in the former case, wetness doesn't always come from above, sometimes it comes from getting the quilt on the ground accidentally and in that case, down on the bottom wouldn't be any better necessarily. Also, if really need be, one could flip it over temporarily if precipitation was coming from above.

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
Hmmm... on 09/24/2013 22:52:35 MDT Print View

Must be too many new, wealthy Chinese climbers buying up all the prime European goos down, causing a spike in demand and thus prices.

Chinese farmers don't want to wait long enough for their geese (and the down) to become fully mature before slaughter. Costs too much feed.

Anthony Viera
(joydivisi0n) - M

Locale: Orange County
Down Testing on 09/24/2013 23:02:07 MDT Print View

What was the result of the 750 duck down testing? More to the point, is the new RevX just as warm as the old RevX?

Edited by joydivisi0n on 09/24/2013 23:02:42 MDT.