Forum Index » GEAR » enLIGHTened equipment product changes in Sept.

Display Avatars Sort By:
Paul Andronico
(Jakesandwich) - M

Locale: S.F. Bay Area
2.5 ozs on 10/26/2013 12:59:50 MDT Print View

I have a 20 degree RevelationX, which I loved until I saw the Enigma :) In the summer months in the Sierras I have not generally needed to sleep in my hooded Stoic Hadron. So in the heart of the summer, a 30 degree Enigma would probably work well even if there is a cold snap (just add the Hadron). In the shoulder seasons, however, I have been very happy to have the 20 degree quilt rather than a lighter, but less warm quilt.

So what to do for 3-season use in the Sierras? Tough call. I personally would probably choose the 20 degree Enigma. It is still ridiculously light and only weighs 2.5 ozs more than the 30 degree Enigma. And even with the sewn footbox I think it can be reasonably vented during warmer weather. But my trips tend to be 3 to 4 days, where I am not as worried about a few ounces.

Either way the Enigma looks fantastic.

alex hansen
(holden425) - F
the 2.5 ounce difference.. on 10/26/2013 13:09:11 MDT Print View

the 2.5 ounce difference is not my biggest concern, though lighter is nice, i just cant justify buying another bag designed for the same temps as my current bag, especially when it would be costing 350ish dollars to save that Lb

Paul Andronico
(Jakesandwich) - M

Locale: S.F. Bay Area
Upgrading on 10/26/2013 13:19:23 MDT Print View

Alex, I understand not wanting to upgrade if you are duplicating your current gear. I suppose one choice is to sell the bag, but I know a lot of people don't like using quilts below freezing. I have taken my quilt down to around 20, and with a hooded down jacket it was perfectly fine. But I certainly understand the allure of a cozy mummy bag in really cold weather.

Aaron Sorensen
(awsorensen) - MLife

Locale: South of Forester Pass
Re: Upgrading on 10/26/2013 19:24:47 MDT Print View

I received a 1 off quilt from Tim today.
I Have been helping him out with his new fabric and sent him some stuff I had.

Tim offered me the mock up quilt he made with a few fabric samples including the fabric I sent him as the liner.
I was awe-struck and was thinking it would be a 40 degree synthetic quilt.

Holly crap, I opened the box and out pops a 20 degree RevX style quilt.
It has his newly moded karo dimensions and I was very surprised (having made 2 karo quilts myself) just how level the bag lays on top of you and didn't notice any down shift at all.

I have not ordered a quilt from Emlightened Equipment just because I have made every style and degree quilt I need for my backpacking needs.

The quality and construction of this quilt is top notch.
I love how many little tiny details he has in each quilt.
You can open it up flat and it has all the attachments needs to keep it on your pad.

If you are thinking about buying a quilt, don't be afraid of the karo design.
I'm sure other can attest to his new karo design as well.

Thanks Tim