What is the loudest alarm wrist watch for backpacking?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: What is the loudest alarm wrist watch on 07/03/2007 00:25:35 MDT Print View

I may be the only one left in LA who doesn't own a cellphone or subscribe to cable or Direct TV...

Roleigh Martin
(marti124) - MLife

Locale: Moderator-JohnMuirTrail Yahoo Group
Re: What is the loudest alarm wrist watch on 07/03/2007 05:00:27 MDT Print View

Brett, we are leaving our cellphones behind. What is the purpose of taking them? We will be out for 17 days, their charges will die, they can't make calls while in the back country. They weigh more than 2 ounces too.

Robert Matson
(rmatson) - F

Locale: Brooklyn, NY USA
Light SW radio alarm - where to buy - other interesting LW tools too on 12/13/2008 13:25:34 MST Print View

I have similar needs. I had a Polar heart rate monitor with loud and long alarm, which I could recommend. Interested in the radio above. Following up, I found the following sites with interesting lightweight gear incl. the radio/alarm mentioned, small straight blade razor and more. Haven't seen any of it in person, but I ordered the radio.

http://countycomm.com/

http://www.endtimesreport.com/survival_shop.html

Roleigh Martin
(marti124) - MLife

Re: What is the loudest alarm wrist watch on 12/13/2008 13:44:28 MST Print View

I hike in remote wilderness, such as the High Sierra Trail and the John Muir Trail. Cell phones do not get signal there. I have my phone waiting for me at trail-end. Waist of weight. This last summer I used the Invisible Clock II in vibration mode inside my titanium coffee cup and was able to get up every AM at 5:45 with no problem. It only weighed 1.7 oz. Completely worth it. First time I was able to always hear the alarm.

ps - oops, I did not do "show all" and responded not the latest posting but the one earlier. Anyway, nothing more to add other than the post-JMT writeup on how well the 1.7oz Invisible Clock II worked for me.

Edited by marti124 on 12/13/2008 22:42:23 MST.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Re: What is the loudest alarm wrist watch on 12/13/2008 13:54:49 MST Print View

Roleigh:

Good to know you found an alarm that works for you. As you know, I too have been shopping around and found something that works as well.

I don't know if it is 'the loudest' -- but the el cheapo $14.99 Armitron Digital Sport Watch does have a pretty loud alarm -- one that is significantly louder than Timex Ironman and Casio watches. It also has the basic stuff like stopwatch and countdown alarm. I bought mine at Target.

Edited by ben2world on 12/13/2008 13:56:58 MST.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
What is the loudest alarm wrist watch for backpacking? on 12/13/2008 14:13:00 MST Print View

Reading the OP's question I thought (like Scott) that maybe putting the alarm inside a pot/mug would help. ( I was a bit annoyed that someone else came up with the same idea)
Then I discovered that my Optio also has an alarm, I have only had this camera for 3 years.
So I did a test with my Casio Pro Trek and the Pentax WPi. To my ears the Casio is louder (higher pitch) and putting either inside a Ti pot did not sound any louder.
Three tests later..
With the pot on its side the sound is a bit more directional , so if you are in the right spot it could help. However because I move around a lot and usually check the time and temperature a couple of times per night, I would provably end up with the pot on top or pointing away. The Casio does wake me up anyway so I don't need to "improve it".
Franco

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: What is the loudest alarm wrist watch on 12/13/2008 14:19:34 MST Print View

Roleigh,
Just FYI - the Invisible Clock is wide open to all types of precipatation. Keep it in a ziplock or it will die and then have to be dried out.

Vibrate works well under any inflated pillow - one big drum.

Roleigh Martin
(marti124) - MLife

Re: Re: What is the loudest alarm wrist watch on 12/13/2008 15:25:29 MST Print View

I do use a aloksack for it for that reason.

victoria maki
(clt1953) - F

Locale: northern minnesota
re:wrist watches-? to benjamin on 12/13/2008 15:50:52 MST Print View

benjamin. does the armitrom wrist watches have more than 3 alarm settings?

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Re: re:wrist watches-? to benjamin on 12/13/2008 16:41:45 MST Print View

That's Benjamin with a "B".

Oh yeah, right, your question... The watch's alarm is pretty loud -- but it's also basic: one alarm, stopwatch, and a countdown alarm.

Mike Clelland
(mikeclelland) - MLife

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)
In the hat on 12/13/2008 17:51:39 MST Print View

I second the very simple solution - Just put it in your hat!

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
What is the loudest alarm wrist watch for backpacking? on 12/13/2008 17:56:36 MST Print View

I don't get that Mike. Can we have a drawing ?
Franco
( after a "free" cartoon)

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
What is the loudest alarm wrist watch for backpacking? on 12/13/2008 20:37:28 MST Print View

Another vote here for the Casio. Never rely on a Timex or on any women's watch. The worst possible is any Timex women's watch, which can't be heard if your ear is more than 6 inches from the watch. Even with the Casio, I have to put it outside my sleeping bag, because if it's on my wrist down inside, the sound is smothered by Western Mountaineering down. I've found that it's best to tie the hood drawcord around it.

Unfortunately the model I have is rather persnickity to set. There was the morning I really wanted to get up at 5 am, and woke up at 7 am. I found that I had set the watch for 5 pm. Aargh!

Cell phone? Most places in the Cascades I lose reception before I even get to the trailhead. If it's left on, the battery is gone by the next morning, from trying to pick up a signal. That's the only item I have (other than maybe a pair of grungy sneakers) that I leave in my car.

Edited by hikinggranny on 12/13/2008 20:40:12 MST.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: What is the loudest alarm wrist watch for backpacking? on 12/13/2008 22:38:25 MST Print View

Funny - we never have this problem at all. But we go to sleep as soon as we have finished dinner and washed up and cleared up - usually within half an hour or so of it getting dark. So by (say) 8 pm we are going to sleep. We rarely wake up other than to turn over during the night - no midnight toilet wanders.

By the time the sun starts to lighten the sky we have had enough sleep for the night - say by 5:30 am, and Sue gives me a nudge and says one word: 'breakfast'. That's over 9 hours sleep. In winter it is a bit longer - no worries.

Which is just as well as I can't hear any of the electronic wrist watch alarms when my head is under my quilt. Sue reckons I can't hear them anytime ... she may be right.

Cheers

Kris Kisatsky
(Teufelhunden) - F
Casio G-Shock weak alarm on 12/20/2008 08:37:59 MST Print View

I recently purchased Casio's "G-Shock", looked pretty rugged, shock resistant, atomic clock sync, and is solar powered rechargeable battery equipped. The thing is going back today. $90 USD watch with an alarm you can't hear unless it is held inches away from your ear. And then barely. I, like Roleigh, have high freq hearing loss. Would have been a nice watch if not for the fatal alarm flaw. I agree about the crappy alarms on the Timex watches, especially the women's sizes, I returned an Ironman woman's watch I had bought for my wife for the same reason. Funny how nobody at the watch counter in most discount stores has any idea how to demonstrate an alarm while you are there.

Jim Ford
(jimford) - F

Locale: DFW
Re: What is the loudest alarm wrist watch on 12/20/2008 10:42:42 MST Print View

Has anyone tried the Highgear ATF8 yet? With a cellphone always with me in my daily life, I gave up wearing watches years ago, and wearing a watch on my wrist would be distracting to me.

The ATF8 looks good (carabiner clip which folds into the back of the unit, so it can be clipped on, or just slipped into a pocket), but I'm wondering about the loudness of the alarm (my main reason for considering it). I've tried some other watches such as Nike, with the thought of removing the wristband, but invariably all of the alarms are just too quiet.

Robert Matson
(rmatson) - F

Locale: Brooklyn, NY USA
Re: Light SW radio alarm - where to buy - other interesting LW tools too on 03/02/2009 17:34:31 MST Print View

Following up on my earlier post, having recently completed a 5-week trip reliant on the alarm issue. Many of the days had crucial pre-dawn wakings. In short, the little LW shortwave radio with alarm proved unhelpful and I left it in camp. It was loud, but heavy and the design imperfect. I used the Polar heart rate monitor watch, which I already owned. It worked perfectly, is waterproof, plenty loud, has a little illumination, is lightweight, has a useful timer built in, etc. I can recommend it.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Nike? on 03/02/2009 18:00:32 MST Print View

I have a Nike Triax watch my kids got me a couple years for Christmas. I don't take it hiking, because the alarm is too loud and I can't figure out how to turn it off (:

It is just a basic watch for runners and weighs 1.8 oz. The Nike Triax ID watches are even lighter.

Cell phone? That would be the last thing I would take, next to my old Eureka Timberline tent :) - plus usually I can't even get cell coverage at the trailheads, let alone where I am going. But just a personal idocincracy. My kids will tell you I am a wack job anyway.

Christopher Kayler
(ChrisKayler) - F

Locale: Outside
Re: Re: What is the loudest alarm wrist watch for backpacking? on 08/26/2009 17:30:57 MDT Print View

Can the Invisible Clock both vibrate and beep at the same time?

Also, one thing to keep in mind for others wanting to purchase the ADC Pro. I did, and I like it ... but I found out the hard way the first use that the alarm only lasts for 30 seconds.

Christopher Kayler
(ChrisKayler) - F

Locale: Outside
Re: Re: What is the loudest alarm wrist watch on 08/26/2009 17:39:03 MDT Print View

Hi Benjamin,

Do you know how much the Armitron Digital Sport Watch weighs?