Forum Index » SuperUltraLight (SUL) Backpacking Discussion » 22 Gram Esbit Kit

Display Avatars Sort By:
Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Re: Re: Re: large flat esbit block on 08/26/2013 21:37:00 MDT Print View

"Do you use matches or a lighter?"

The Mini-BIC lighter is standard equipment here at BPL.

I carry one book of paper matches, and it is wrapped up in plastic. That is just for backup.

--B.G.--

mik matra
(mikmik) - M

Locale: Allways on the move
Re: Re: large flat esbit block on 08/27/2013 05:34:50 MDT Print View

"Hi Mik, the large flat blocks you have are probably the 4 gram tablets and I have been testing those. I purchased mine on ebay. I'll see if I can get a link for you 6 of them fit inside the esbitlyte burner."

The ones I am buying locally are 14g large flat block ones. They are not called Esbit but are the same thing still.

Hey did you say those cristal thingies are harmful to health?

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Locale: www.bplite.com
Re: Re: Re: large flat esbit block on 08/27/2013 12:26:26 MDT Print View

Bob, My hands are too large for the mini. I need to get one of those torch lighters. I use the large kitchen matches most of the time. Cold weather and bic lighters don't get a long very well. Cold hands can't spin the wheel very well.

MikMik, now I know what your using :-)

4 little cubes equals one big one:

photo 4gramtablets_zps44e71bff.jpg

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: large flat esbit block on 08/27/2013 12:32:32 MDT Print View

"Bob, My hands are too large for the mini."

You see, Dan, there is another place where you can shave off some weight.

"Cold weather and bic lighters don't get a long very well. Cold hands can't spin the wheel very well."

Understood. Sometimes I am a cross-country skier. When out in the snow country, it becomes vitally important to have a dependable source of fire or heat. So, early on I discovered that an ordinary butane lighter gets pretty bad when the air temperature drops below freezing. That's why I carry it in my pants pocket where it is warmed up to almost body temperature, and then it is extremely reliable.

Cold hands? That's why I use clothing pockets or else liner gloves for my hands.

--B.G.--

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Re: Re: Burning Esbit on the ground on 08/27/2013 12:34:22 MDT Print View

A steel bottle cap makes a good Esbit holder

--B.G.--

Bob, my bottle caps are too small. what kind are you using?

photo 4gramtablets2_zps00ec71cc.jpg

Edited by zelph on 08/27/2013 12:37:22 MDT.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Re: Re: Burning Esbit on the ground on 08/27/2013 12:43:33 MDT Print View

Ah-ha!

Think out of the box.

First of all, I use the standard size of Esbit tablets and I have never seen the small size in any store. Sometimes I am cutting them in half to boil a single cup of water. I stand the half-cube on its end, not flat. That slightly changes the distance from flame to pot.

Now, I suspect that leads to a faster boil time, but slightly less fuel efficiency. However, when I am in a situation where I am using a bottle cap, I am generally in a hurry.

Normally I use my Esbit fuel in an Esbit 3-wing burner. Again, I can burn it flat, or on its side, or on its end.

--B.G.--

Gary Dunckel
(Zia-Grill-Guy) - MLife

Locale: Boulder
Esbit tabs on 08/27/2013 12:52:55 MDT Print View

"4 little cubes equals one big one"

Actually, Dan, three of the 4 gm tabs = one 12 gm tab.

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Burning Esbit on the ground on 08/27/2013 12:56:41 MDT Print View

Yeah, standing on end would surely make them burn faster. My recent purchase and testing of the 3 wing burner showed it was a fast burner, not too efficient. Do you use the alum foil to cover up the sides to slow it down? I've had success in slowing it down by leaving it in it's original plastic container. Just squish the plastic sides down a bit 1/2 way.

In cold weather I don't use gloves to set up my stove/kitchen and so when I'm ready to light the fire my hands are numb, old school type of stuff heh heh. I burn wood most of the time. No fire bans in the Midwest corn/soybean fields.....lucky to find a wooded area LOL

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Burning Esbit on the ground on 08/27/2013 13:04:54 MDT Print View

"Do you use the alum foil to cover up the sides to slow it down?"

No, I'm too impatient for that.

Besides, where I backpack the altitude is normally around 10,000 feet, so the boiling temperature is depressed somewhat. If I am going to drink my tea hot, then I like to get it to a boil as fast as possible, not as efficiently as possible.

"No fire bans in the Midwest corn/soybean fields.....lucky to find a wooded area LOL"

Why do you think I moved out from the Midwest about 35 years ago?

--B.G.--

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Re: Esbit tabs on 08/27/2013 13:15:06 MDT Print View

Gary, I weighed them again. This time I took the big one out of the packaging.

photo 4gramtablets2002_zps42d33fbe.jpg
 photo 4gramtablets2001_zps7dbc7d67.jpg

Why do you think I moved out from the Midwest about 35 years ago?

--B.G.--

Haha, my daughter moved to Utah in January of this year, came home for a visit 4 weeks ago and quickly said "there is so much green here in IL. It smells green also :-)

Woodlands are on the increase do to habitat restorations. we be thinking "green" out here! Yousa guys are burning up your's Youse guys have to pay more taxes so the DNR/blm can do more controlled burns to get rid of the understory fuel. Just kidding!

Edited by zelph on 08/27/2013 13:24:31 MDT.

Gary Dunckel
(Zia-Grill-Guy) - MLife

Locale: Boulder
Re: Esbit tabs on 08/27/2013 13:40:33 MDT Print View

A-ha, Dan! So 3.5 of the little guys equals one of the 14 gm. big guys. So here's what you do--cut one of the 4 gm tabs in half, and send one half to the BLM to use in their controlled burns out here. That'll help reduce our taxes a wee bit, and you'll have 2 versions of a 14 gm Esbit load for your tests.

Edit--On second thought, send the extra half tabs to -B.G.-. They'll fit perfectly in his bottle caps. The BLM wouldn't know what to do with them anyway.

Edited by Zia-Grill-Guy on 08/27/2013 13:43:45 MDT.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Re: Esbit tabs on 08/27/2013 14:08:57 MDT Print View

"They'll fit perfectly in his bottle caps."

Naah. I'm busy with my Dremel tool. I'm trying to grind off the excess metal of a bottle cap. Maybe drill some air holes in it.

--B.G.--

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: large flat esbit block on 08/27/2013 18:18:00 MDT Print View

"Hey did you say those crystal thingies are harmful to health?"

I don't think I said that but......I will surely not blow out any more cubes in a burner such as the tri wing that I recently tested. From now on I'll let them burn up completely. I'm surprised the state of California allows them to be sold there. When they are blown out, the cloud of smoke can gag a maggot. Watch Trail Designs video on the demo of the Sidewinder and see the cloud of smoke.

Maybe I can modify the Tri-wing to burn alcohol in the Modified StarLyte burner. Come to think of it, the Esbitlyte might work well with the tri-wing as a simmer stove.

mik matra
(mikmik) - M

To Dan on 08/28/2013 05:14:28 MDT Print View

Here is that Esbit burner I ordered.....though I modified it as my Ti windscreen's circumference was not big enough to slide all the way to the ground and so I trimmed the bits 'hanging out' on the Ti Pot Stand/Stove. It's now under 12grams

Esbit Ti Pot stand/stove

The Esbit tabs that I can get are actually 26grams and they are a large size. Here it is:

local esbit

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Re: To Dan on 08/28/2013 11:48:53 MDT Print View

I love it when we can "modify" to "make it work" :-) Nice trim!

That is one big esbit tablet. whoa! Bob would need a large bottle cap for that one. LOL

So, Are you satisfied with the results of your new esbit stove?

mik matra
(mikmik) - M

Re: Re: To Dan on 08/28/2013 14:07:20 MDT Print View

I just finished holidays and literally only had time to tinker with the stove/potstand and not try it yet. I can't see it being less efficient compared to my home made gram cracker and coat hanger wire potstand. This Esbit stove/potstand is a lot more sturdier than my home creation and is on-par with weight so it will get the nod.

Haven't got your mail yet though some things I have purchased from the U.S. recently have taken 3-3.5 weeks to get here. I bet it's the USPS but the Aussie Post that is to blame. Aussie post has a nickname here in Oz......Snailmail.