Forum Index » SuperUltraLight (SUL) Backpacking Discussion » 22 Gram Esbit Kit

Display Avatars Sort By:
mik matra
(mikmik) - M

Locale: Allways on the move
Brian Green modified Gram Cracker on 07/30/2013 04:11:57 MDT Print View

"** With the Brian Green modified Gram Cracker tablet holder to hold in and utilize the burning tablet's liquid you will get even better performance."

I made one from a cut down coke can ( I think it registered .9g on my scale)

I then put 10g of Esbit into the tray and fired it up. After a couple minutes of 'simmering' it all of a sudden went from a okay flame to flaming holy moly....but no boil. I think if I got a cone wind shield I might get a boil (for the first time!).

When I had a look at the cup gram cracker it's legs deformed a bit from the heat I think but there is no residue on it or the bottom of the foster's can. Here it is once I straightened it back up;

coke can modified gram cracker

I am thinking of making a cone from a full height foster's can and folding the edges over so it doesn't tear easily. I MUST get a boil even if it the very very very last thing I do!!!

Edited by mikmik on 07/30/2013 04:13:46 MDT.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Brian Green modified Gram Cracker on 07/30/2013 11:17:57 MDT Print View

"I MUST get a boil even if it the very very very last thing I do!!!"

You know, I had a friend who kept trying to boil two cups of water with minimum fuel, and he kept running into problems like this. He went over and over it, and still it didn't work. Finally I agreed to observe his technique. In an instant, I saw his problem. His measuring cup was not standard 8 ounces. It was 12 ounces. So, he kept failing to boil 24 ounces of water with fuel for 16 ounces. Once he measured right, it was normal.

--B.G.--

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Locale: www.bplite.com
Windscreen with esbit on 07/30/2013 12:02:20 MDT Print View

mikmik, are you using a windscreen?

With the round aluminum esbit burner I can boil 2 cups in my stainless steel Fire Pot with 9 grams of esbit without a windscreen under calm conditions.

Are you testing under calm conditions?

mik matra
(mikmik) - M

Re: Windscreen with esbit on 07/31/2013 01:07:11 MDT Print View

"mikmik, are you using a windscreen?

With the round aluminum esbit burner I can boil 2 cups in my stainless steel Fire Pot with 9 grams of esbit without a windscreen under calm conditions.

Are you testing under calm conditions?"

My current set up is this one;

suluk 46

So the pot is held up by an identical Ti ring but smaller in size. I am going to by a full Fosters can and make a cone shaped windscreen from it to suit.

I think there is 2 reasons why I am not getting a boil as yet;
1.My modified gram cracker dish isn't deep enough and the liquefied esbit overflows and burns un economically.
2.The windscreen really need to be a cone shape to direct all heat into the pot.

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Re: Re: Windscreen with esbit on 07/31/2013 16:34:43 MDT Print View

You say the pot is just like the windscreen so I say you need a new pot support made with lots of holes. It's too hot inside your burner.

Rob E
(eatSleepFish)

Locale: Canada
Re: Re: Windscreen with esbit on 07/31/2013 17:06:24 MDT Print View

What is the height of your pot above your esbit?

mik matra
(mikmik) - M

pot stand and pot height on 08/01/2013 05:02:45 MDT Print View

Here is the picture of my Ti pot stand, ground heat shield and home made (from alu coke can) gram cracker stove;

pot stand

From the stove tray to the bottom of the pot is exactly 5cm (2 inches). I am beginning to think that the burn and heat produced might not be enough to bring the water to boil. I tried 14grams of Esbit and I 'almost' got a boil....had the noise and the bubbles rising but not-quite-there.

Edited by mikmik on 08/01/2013 05:22:19 MDT.

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Re: pot stand and pot height on 08/01/2013 13:48:46 MDT Print View

mikmik, put at least four more holes in the base of your pot support.

If you have some 1/2" hardware cloth make a pot support out of it and try the same amount of fuel and windscreen. It may be your pot support causing the inefficiency.

James DeGraaf
(jdegraaf) - MLife

Locale: Bay Area
Re: pot stand and pot height on 08/01/2013 16:03:34 MDT Print View

Hi Mik,
I had that same set up. Suluk46? And the same problem, never got two cups to boil... Until I took a regular paper punch a put two more rows offset like the bigger ones. That finally allowed enough air flow to get it to boil two cups. I emailed back and forth with Steve a few times about it, but nothing came if it. I think a really trimmed down hardware cloth is better than the ti foil pot stand. Keep the BGET or one of Dan's new esbit trays. I've had a chance to play around with one of Dan's esbit stoves and there is noticeably less gunk from esbit and more of just soot, which wipes off easily.

Try some other things and letus know how it goes.
Thanks,
James

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Re: Re: pot stand and pot height on 08/01/2013 21:04:31 MDT Print View

James, inside the esbit burner there are two black lines on it's wall. Line up your 4 gram tablets lengthwise in the direction of those lines for best performance. Air flow will pass over the tablets in a fashion that will help center them. You may notice more air coming in from one side more than the other. I suspect that is due to the tablets being a little off center one way or another. The flames stay centered though.

mik matra
(mikmik) - M

Re: Re: pot stand and pot height on 08/03/2013 05:48:08 MDT Print View

Thanks for the replies James :)

I got a nice row of holes in the Ti pot stand to allow breathing but I have a sneaking suspicion that a lot of the heat gets ejected out through the top holes rather than hit the bottom of the cup. I tried 9g 12 nad 14g esbit, alcohol at various amounts and different heights to burn esbit and alcohol and no go.....frustratingly close!! It seems as not enough heat is generated quickly enough and the esbit or alcohol clonks out before the job is done. I am going to do away with the Ti cup holder and either go for that gauze or just be patient and wait for the ebit 'tray and cookpot trypot'.

I'll get back to you guys then.

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: pot stand and pot height on 08/03/2013 08:53:06 MDT Print View

Yes, I suspect there is a "boundary layer on the bottom of the pot caused by the hole configuration of the pot support. Get a different pot support. Make a simple coat hangar wire support. don't give up :-)

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

EsbitLyte Burner on 08/03/2013 17:51:56 MDT Print View

Mika, I made some esbit burner trays available for you and others. Internationals also :-)

"EsbitLyte" Gear Deals BPL Viewers Only

mik matra
(mikmik) - M

Hi Dan on 08/06/2013 09:20:54 MDT Print View

Hi Dan,

I sent you a PM regarding if you are sending the fosters pots overseas. I am in Australia and am wondering if you'd send one to me?

Ta.

Mik :)

mik matra
(mikmik) - M

Re: Re: Re: pot stand and pot height on 08/06/2013 09:25:28 MDT Print View

Woop woop I got my first boil then back to back boils :)....now to work on efficiency.

I did away with Ti pot stand I posted picture of before and made one of a coat hanger and made 50mm height. I used a 13gram Esbit piece and had about 1.5-2g left after the boil.

By the way, I have been going for a active boil where the water is moving not just bubbles forming. Is that how you guys class as a boil too?

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained Mika on 08/06/2013 11:58:38 MDT Print View

Mika, you're a winner. Got the boil....whoooop! :-))) active boil is what we look for.

Sure thing, I can send a Foster's pot to you. I'll send you a paypal invoice with the correct shipping charges. Let me know which one you want. Today I created a new SULyte 400ml pot from a Foster can. Has snap-on lid.

photo sulytegramsplitter_zps9a979953.jpg

Chad B
(CenAZwalker) - F

Locale: Southwest
400 Foster on 08/06/2013 12:23:39 MDT Print View

"Today I created a new SULyte 400ml pot from a Foster can. Has snap-on lid."

Ooooh, I want one of those.

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Re: 400 Foster on 08/06/2013 16:40:11 MDT Print View

CB, I need time to work on this little gem.

EBY265 Ti cup is 400ml cap. (no lid) but has handles

The Foster pot has 400ml cap. and has a color coordinated "snap-on" lid. and can easily picked up with a 3" wide cozy type product made of relectix or 1/16" high density foam to fit the diameter of the pot. When the water boils just slip the cozy over the top and pick it up.

I can put some 1/8" holes in the lid for steam to escape and that will allow for the "snap-on" cap to remain on in the tight position when removing from cone or stove.

I filled it with water and tipped it upside down and shook it and the lid stays on. I'm sure it way stay put with all the stuff stored in it while in a stuff sack. Cool feature.

M B
(livingontheroad) - M
pot on 08/06/2013 17:39:33 MDT Print View

Dan, you dont have aluminum flat bottom pots on your website.

How do I get one.?

I have the steel bottom.

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Re: pot on 08/06/2013 19:10:37 MDT Print View

MB, send me your email address and I'll send you an invoice. I have 2 that I can let loose of.