Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Locale: www.bplite.com
22 Gram Esbit Kit on 07/19/2013 15:50:31 MDT Print View

This is the beginning of my esbit kit:

Pot = 18 grams

Aluminum Lid = 2 grams

Titanium Pot Support = 2 grams

Place esbit on ground and let burn to ash/bio-char good for soil according to all the big wood burning stove creators. No need for ground protector.

Esbit 22 gram kit photo 22grampotlidsupport_zps0f3a5adc.jpg

Edited by zelph on 07/20/2013 18:02:49 MDT.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: 22 Gram Esbit Kit on 07/20/2013 22:33:22 MDT Print View

That looks great Dan. Great idea using the ashtray as a lid! I haven't seen one of those in a million years.

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Re: Re: 22 Gram Esbit Kit on 07/22/2013 09:18:32 MDT Print View

Thanks Ian. I first started including the ashtray along with the StarLyte stove here on BPL about 3 years ago. It was furnished as a ground protector piece for placing the stove onto. I had a few laying around on my table and just by chance I tried placing one onto the Foster pot and it fit perfect.

I have to chuckle a bit because no one has said anything about burning the esbit on the ground. Must be ignoring me or all approve :-)

The pot has an aluminum top ring and bottom.

Kevin Babione
(KBabione) - MLife

Locale: Pennsylvania
Burning Esbit on the ground on 07/22/2013 10:30:31 MDT Print View

I was going to suggest that you carefully peel the foil top of the Esbit and put the tablet on that instead of directly on the ground...

Chad B
(CenAZwalker) - F

Locale: Southwest
I wouldn't on 07/22/2013 15:35:32 MDT Print View

I don't agree with burning esbit directly on the ground. At the very least, bring a small piece of aluminum foil . . . hardly weighs anything.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Burning Esbit on the ground on 07/22/2013 15:39:09 MDT Print View

A steel bottle cap makes a good Esbit holder.

--B.G.--

Ryan Smith
(ViolentGreen) - F

Locale: Southeast
Re: Re: Burning Esbit on the ground on 07/22/2013 17:27:36 MDT Print View

What are the negatives of burning esbit on the ground? Possibly starting a forest fire?

Ryan

Justin Baker
(justin_baker)

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
Re: Re: Re: Burning Esbit on the ground on 07/22/2013 17:39:54 MDT Print View

There are no negatives to burning esbit on the ground unless you are using it on a rock surface that could leave a burn mark. On dirt it's not an issue.

Michael Gillenwater
(mwgillenwater) - M

Locale: Seattle area
Re: Re: Re: Re: Burning Esbit on the ground on 07/22/2013 19:29:59 MDT Print View

esbit partially liquefies as you burn it. and the liquid still burns. so if you burn it on the ground you will incompletely consume the fuel and waste a good portion of it. Plus you will do damage to the soil surface unnecessarily.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Burning Esbit on the ground on 07/22/2013 19:39:16 MDT Print View

"esbit partially liquefies as you burn it."

Exactly. That's the reason for the bottle cap.

Sometimes an Esbit tablet will burn up and leave behind some sticky black residue, and the bottle cap helps contain that.

--B.G.--

michael levi
(M.L) - F

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles
re on 07/22/2013 21:39:00 MDT Print View

I also think an argument could be made for heat reflection when a tray is used, but the difference wouldn't be great. Obviously a tray, lid and windscreen together would be better although heavier.

One downside of your design is where do we store the lid when packing. It might be hard to nest it.

Edited by M.L on 07/22/2013 21:41:30 MDT.

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Don't burn Esbit on the ground on 07/23/2013 19:57:27 MDT Print View

Ok, I won't burn it on the ground. I'll put it in one of these aluminum containers. Testing shows there is virtually nothing that remains of the esbit after it burns out. I've been testing the 4 gram tabs. They are placed side by side. 2 1/4 tabs(9grams) boils 2 cups. Now all I need is a nice flexible Ti Cone to fit the pot. I made an aluminum one but it's too stiff.

The one on the left weighs 9 grams. The one on the right weighs 8 grams, has a reinforced rim to prevent damage once rim is annealed by heat.

photo esbit8gram_zps330ce6bf.jpg

The aluminum ashtray lid can be stored right on top. A super light tyvek stuff sack cinched close to the pot will keep it in place.

Edited by zelph on 07/23/2013 20:03:00 MDT.

Chad B
(CenAZwalker) - F

Focus ring? on 07/23/2013 21:03:24 MDT Print View

Interesting. Do you find that the shape and depth of that burner help to focus the heat/flame of the esbit better than a completely open burner?

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Re: Focus ring? on 07/24/2013 08:14:11 MDT Print View

C B, Absolutely, the shape,depth, hole quantity and placement make a big difference in the burn rate and focus of the flame. I originally started with 6 holes and then went to 3 and then found that the present location of 4 holes was the best. A completely open burner burns too hot and inefficiently. When an esbit burns too fast , you can see it melting and starts to flow away from the cube.

When I make a new video you'll be able to see the focus ability of the air intake holes. This video shows the burner with 6 holes and is burning "hot":

Esbit burner with 6 holes and 4 gram tablets

Edited by zelph on 07/24/2013 08:22:12 MDT.

E J
(mountainwalker) - MLife

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England
Low oxygen cone performance on 07/24/2013 14:35:11 MDT Print View

Dan very nice design and work. Do you know if it performs any differently in a lower oxygen environment like in a cone?

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Re: Low oxygen cone performance on 07/24/2013 16:18:28 MDT Print View

E J, I'll do a few test burns today in my Ti cone made for my stainless steel 3 cup pot. I'll burn 2 four gram tablets of esbit. I'll use a new burner and a nice clean bottom pot. I'll do a video of it also. The tests I did last week were varied and first impression was it burned a little hotter...........maybe! I was hoping for a 2 cup boil with 8 grams of esbit but it didn't happen. The 1 extra gram is needed to get the boil.

Thank you E J for your positive comment.

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Test Burn Video on 07/25/2013 07:28:24 MDT Print View

Here's a youtube video that shows the burner with two 4 gram Esbit. No gooey residue on bottom of pot and very little residue left inside the burner.

8 gram Esbit Burner youtube video

A lid can be used over the burner for storage. A new container on the left holds 11 four gram tablets for storage and transport. Has clear plastic insert in lid.

photo esbit8gram003_zps68728d1b.jpg

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
Missing the point... on 07/27/2013 14:03:44 MDT Print View

Gentlemen, this thread is beginning to sound like so many alky stove threads, i.e. ever lighter stoves with no thought to FUEL EFFICIENCY.

** I still contend that my TD Sidewinder stove made for a small aluminum 3 cup pot is the most fuel efficient ESBIT stove available.

** With the Brian Green modified Gram Cracker tablet holder to hold in and utilize the burning tablet's liquid you will get even better performance.

** A narrow Fosters can is not as fuel efficient as my wide 3 cup aluminum pot. That's just physics, not opinion.

My Caldera Cone setup gets a 33%+ efficiency increase over my best previous ESBIT stove. And believe me, I've tinkered with ESBIT stoves for a few decades.

So it ain't all in the stove weight. It's in the amount of fuel carried as well.

OK, end of rant.

mik matra
(mikmik) - M

Locale: Allways on the move
Is that really correct weight? on 07/29/2013 02:22:01 MDT Print View

I got same cookpot and with alu flat bottom (holds about 550ml water) and without lid it is 26g....is yours a smaller version?

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Re: Eric, My pot is better than your pot! on 07/29/2013 09:24:38 MDT Print View

Yes, that's the correct weight. It has an aluminum bottom and top ring, yours is probably steel top ring.

Besides, at my age I'm "crusty" enough without having a crusty pot.Keep on tinkering! That's how things improve.

Eric, the esbit burner is an improvement in efficiency. No more crusty residue on the pot bottom(see above video) In the same video is my 3 cup stainless steel "Fire Pot"(2.4oz)pot that gets 2 cups to boil with 9 grams of esbit using the TD Ti Caldera Cone.

Now you just wait and see the results of my Ti Cone being used with the 18 gram small diameter Foster's pot. The weight of the cone weighs 0.08oz. My pot will prove to be better than your pot;)

Eric, Thanks from one ESBIT tinkerer to another. Keep on tinkering! That's how things improve. :-)

mik matra
(mikmik) - M

Brian Green modified Gram Cracker on 07/30/2013 04:11:57 MDT Print View

"** With the Brian Green modified Gram Cracker tablet holder to hold in and utilize the burning tablet's liquid you will get even better performance."

I made one from a cut down coke can ( I think it registered .9g on my scale)

I then put 10g of Esbit into the tray and fired it up. After a couple minutes of 'simmering' it all of a sudden went from a okay flame to flaming holy moly....but no boil. I think if I got a cone wind shield I might get a boil (for the first time!).

When I had a look at the cup gram cracker it's legs deformed a bit from the heat I think but there is no residue on it or the bottom of the foster's can. Here it is once I straightened it back up;

coke can modified gram cracker

I am thinking of making a cone from a full height foster's can and folding the edges over so it doesn't tear easily. I MUST get a boil even if it the very very very last thing I do!!!

Edited by mikmik on 07/30/2013 04:13:46 MDT.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Brian Green modified Gram Cracker on 07/30/2013 11:17:57 MDT Print View

"I MUST get a boil even if it the very very very last thing I do!!!"

You know, I had a friend who kept trying to boil two cups of water with minimum fuel, and he kept running into problems like this. He went over and over it, and still it didn't work. Finally I agreed to observe his technique. In an instant, I saw his problem. His measuring cup was not standard 8 ounces. It was 12 ounces. So, he kept failing to boil 24 ounces of water with fuel for 16 ounces. Once he measured right, it was normal.

--B.G.--

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Windscreen with esbit on 07/30/2013 12:02:20 MDT Print View

mikmik, are you using a windscreen?

With the round aluminum esbit burner I can boil 2 cups in my stainless steel Fire Pot with 9 grams of esbit without a windscreen under calm conditions.

Are you testing under calm conditions?

mik matra
(mikmik) - M

Re: Windscreen with esbit on 07/31/2013 01:07:11 MDT Print View

"mikmik, are you using a windscreen?

With the round aluminum esbit burner I can boil 2 cups in my stainless steel Fire Pot with 9 grams of esbit without a windscreen under calm conditions.

Are you testing under calm conditions?"

My current set up is this one;

suluk 46

So the pot is held up by an identical Ti ring but smaller in size. I am going to by a full Fosters can and make a cone shaped windscreen from it to suit.

I think there is 2 reasons why I am not getting a boil as yet;
1.My modified gram cracker dish isn't deep enough and the liquefied esbit overflows and burns un economically.
2.The windscreen really need to be a cone shape to direct all heat into the pot.

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Re: Re: Windscreen with esbit on 07/31/2013 16:34:43 MDT Print View

You say the pot is just like the windscreen so I say you need a new pot support made with lots of holes. It's too hot inside your burner.

Rob E
(eatSleepFish)

Locale: Canada
Re: Re: Windscreen with esbit on 07/31/2013 17:06:24 MDT Print View

What is the height of your pot above your esbit?

mik matra
(mikmik) - M

pot stand and pot height on 08/01/2013 05:02:45 MDT Print View

Here is the picture of my Ti pot stand, ground heat shield and home made (from alu coke can) gram cracker stove;

pot stand

From the stove tray to the bottom of the pot is exactly 5cm (2 inches). I am beginning to think that the burn and heat produced might not be enough to bring the water to boil. I tried 14grams of Esbit and I 'almost' got a boil....had the noise and the bubbles rising but not-quite-there.

Edited by mikmik on 08/01/2013 05:22:19 MDT.

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Re: pot stand and pot height on 08/01/2013 13:48:46 MDT Print View

mikmik, put at least four more holes in the base of your pot support.

If you have some 1/2" hardware cloth make a pot support out of it and try the same amount of fuel and windscreen. It may be your pot support causing the inefficiency.

James DeGraaf
(jdegraaf) - MLife

Locale: Bay Area
Re: pot stand and pot height on 08/01/2013 16:03:34 MDT Print View

Hi Mik,
I had that same set up. Suluk46? And the same problem, never got two cups to boil... Until I took a regular paper punch a put two more rows offset like the bigger ones. That finally allowed enough air flow to get it to boil two cups. I emailed back and forth with Steve a few times about it, but nothing came if it. I think a really trimmed down hardware cloth is better than the ti foil pot stand. Keep the BGET or one of Dan's new esbit trays. I've had a chance to play around with one of Dan's esbit stoves and there is noticeably less gunk from esbit and more of just soot, which wipes off easily.

Try some other things and letus know how it goes.
Thanks,
James

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Re: Re: pot stand and pot height on 08/01/2013 21:04:31 MDT Print View

James, inside the esbit burner there are two black lines on it's wall. Line up your 4 gram tablets lengthwise in the direction of those lines for best performance. Air flow will pass over the tablets in a fashion that will help center them. You may notice more air coming in from one side more than the other. I suspect that is due to the tablets being a little off center one way or another. The flames stay centered though.

mik matra
(mikmik) - M

Re: Re: pot stand and pot height on 08/03/2013 05:48:08 MDT Print View

Thanks for the replies James :)

I got a nice row of holes in the Ti pot stand to allow breathing but I have a sneaking suspicion that a lot of the heat gets ejected out through the top holes rather than hit the bottom of the cup. I tried 9g 12 nad 14g esbit, alcohol at various amounts and different heights to burn esbit and alcohol and no go.....frustratingly close!! It seems as not enough heat is generated quickly enough and the esbit or alcohol clonks out before the job is done. I am going to do away with the Ti cup holder and either go for that gauze or just be patient and wait for the ebit 'tray and cookpot trypot'.

I'll get back to you guys then.

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: pot stand and pot height on 08/03/2013 08:53:06 MDT Print View

Yes, I suspect there is a "boundary layer on the bottom of the pot caused by the hole configuration of the pot support. Get a different pot support. Make a simple coat hangar wire support. don't give up :-)

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

EsbitLyte Burner on 08/03/2013 17:51:56 MDT Print View

Mika, I made some esbit burner trays available for you and others. Internationals also :-)

"EsbitLyte" Gear Deals BPL Viewers Only

mik matra
(mikmik) - M

Hi Dan on 08/06/2013 09:20:54 MDT Print View

Hi Dan,

I sent you a PM regarding if you are sending the fosters pots overseas. I am in Australia and am wondering if you'd send one to me?

Ta.

Mik :)

mik matra
(mikmik) - M

Re: Re: Re: pot stand and pot height on 08/06/2013 09:25:28 MDT Print View

Woop woop I got my first boil then back to back boils :)....now to work on efficiency.

I did away with Ti pot stand I posted picture of before and made one of a coat hanger and made 50mm height. I used a 13gram Esbit piece and had about 1.5-2g left after the boil.

By the way, I have been going for a active boil where the water is moving not just bubbles forming. Is that how you guys class as a boil too?

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained Mika on 08/06/2013 11:58:38 MDT Print View

Mika, you're a winner. Got the boil....whoooop! :-))) active boil is what we look for.

Sure thing, I can send a Foster's pot to you. I'll send you a paypal invoice with the correct shipping charges. Let me know which one you want. Today I created a new SULyte 400ml pot from a Foster can. Has snap-on lid.

photo sulytegramsplitter_zps9a979953.jpg

Chad B
(CenAZwalker) - F

400 Foster on 08/06/2013 12:23:39 MDT Print View

"Today I created a new SULyte 400ml pot from a Foster can. Has snap-on lid."

Ooooh, I want one of those.

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Re: 400 Foster on 08/06/2013 16:40:11 MDT Print View

CB, I need time to work on this little gem.

EBY265 Ti cup is 400ml cap. (no lid) but has handles

The Foster pot has 400ml cap. and has a color coordinated "snap-on" lid. and can easily picked up with a 3" wide cozy type product made of relectix or 1/16" high density foam to fit the diameter of the pot. When the water boils just slip the cozy over the top and pick it up.

I can put some 1/8" holes in the lid for steam to escape and that will allow for the "snap-on" cap to remain on in the tight position when removing from cone or stove.

I filled it with water and tipped it upside down and shook it and the lid stays on. I'm sure it way stay put with all the stuff stored in it while in a stuff sack. Cool feature.

M B
(livingontheroad) - M
pot on 08/06/2013 17:39:33 MDT Print View

Dan, you dont have aluminum flat bottom pots on your website.

How do I get one.?

I have the steel bottom.

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Re: pot on 08/06/2013 19:10:37 MDT Print View

MB, send me your email address and I'll send you an invoice. I have 2 that I can let loose of.

mik matra
(mikmik) - M

ta Dan on 08/06/2013 19:32:51 MDT Print View

I will get back to you in a day or so Dan, ta mate :).

One thing with the esbit efficiency is that as the esbit burns it looses height and thus the burn power is affected. I am noticing that a flatter piece rather than a higher piece is more effective over the life of the burn.

I'm still waiting for my Esbit manufactured tray holder /tripod cup holder but what height do you have the tray of the esbit burner from the bottom of the pot? My pot stand holds my pot 50mm from the ground and I don't want to go any higher than that.

I was thinking of making a caddy to hold everything in from a wetsuit type of material. I found a wine bottle cooler out of this stuff and it fits the pot perfectly. It's not really a cprotection caddy as such more like an insulation sleeve for the pot to be able to pick it up straight after a boil and to keep the coffee/tea warm for a little longer.

Pictures to follow.

Edited by mikmik on 08/06/2013 20:32:29 MDT.

mik matra
(mikmik) - M

esbit burn efficiency on 08/06/2013 20:42:00 MDT Print View

I noticed with the modified gram cracker stove I built that you can't have a 'deep' tray as that slows the burn too much. I'm going to have a go at making another gram cracker stove with a bigger tray area so I can lie my esbit tab flat. I seem to have different looking tabs from you guys. Mine comes in large flat blocks.

Drew Jay
(drewjh) - F

Locale: Central Coast
Burner height on 08/06/2013 21:06:53 MDT Print View

Based on my research, 1.25" to 1.75" from the surface of the esbit to the bottom of the pot is best. So I built my stoves with a distance of 1.25" from the top of a fresh esbit tab to the bottom of the pot. That way when the tab burns all the way down it is still within the optimal distance.

mik matra
(mikmik) - M

Re: Burner height on 08/07/2013 00:43:49 MDT Print View

"Based on my research, 1.25" to 1.75" from the surface of the esbit to the bottom of the pot is best"

Cool, mine is close to the 1.25" mark. I think I now will experiment with making a larger tray for the esbit so I have more of even burn.

I can see though that an upright pot will take longer to boil water than a wider pot.

Wonder is anyone ever thought of making a pot out of those Heiniken beer 'kegs'....I think they are 5liters (?). Don't quote me on the liter amount but I know they are bigger than the Fosters 1liter pots.

Troy Ammons
(tammons) - F
22 Gram Esbit Kit on 08/07/2013 18:20:17 MDT Print View

What is the source of this tiny container ??
Thanks

mik matra
(mikmik) - M

tiny container? on 08/10/2013 01:22:03 MDT Print View

Are you asking about the gram cracker or the Esbit burner/pot stand?

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Re: tiny container? on 08/16/2013 09:59:51 MDT Print View

Troy, they are available at Amazon.com.

MikMik, have you used your EsbitLyte burner yet?

Introducing the "EsbitLyte" burner.

mik matra
(mikmik) - M

Re: Re: tiny container? on 08/17/2013 05:26:57 MDT Print View

Hi Dan,

I was on your website a few days ago and you were still away. I wanted to order a Fosters Pot.

I am looking for a flat bottomed one with the ribbing for strength on the side that will boil 2 cups of water please. Can you let me which one would suit my purpose please. Thank you :).

No I haven't tried that burner but have checked it out on your site. I bought and am waiting for this esbit burner. I like it for it has a tray to hold the liquid AND it is a pot stand as well for 11grams:

esbit stove and pot holder

Edited by mikmik on 08/17/2013 05:27:39 MDT.

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: tiny container? on 08/19/2013 07:05:04 MDT Print View

MikMik, I'll start making another batch of foster 2 cup flat bottom pots today and will send you an invoice when they are ready. that is the one for you to use with your new pot support/esbit stove. Did you receive the ti Esbit pot stand yet and will the StarLyte burner work with it? I'll have to order one to do some experimenting.

mik matra
(mikmik) - M

Re: Re: Re: Re: tiny container? on 08/19/2013 17:11:39 MDT Print View

I put an order in last night for a flat bottomed fosters can but haven't got a confirmation email from your company yet.

I don't think your stove will work with the Ti pot stand I ordered. I haven't got it yet it's still in transit but in the picture the pot stand has it's own esbit holder.

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Re: tiny container? on 08/19/2013 20:17:22 MDT Print View

mikmik, I got an order to ship to Queensland 4128 is that you? I will make more 2 cup flat bottom pots tomorrow and then ship on Wednesday. I ordered 1 Ti potstand today and received a conformation that it was shipped today. I might receive it in 2 days and will test it with EsbitLyte siting on top of the esbit tray. We already know the esbit does not melt inside the Esbitlyte and is very efficient using the 4 gram tablets.

mik matra
(mikmik) - M

Yep that is me on 08/20/2013 04:35:00 MDT Print View

Yeah that is my order :).

If that Ti stove/pot holder does not work out I'll give your stove a go :).

Thank you Dan.

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Re: Yep that is me on 08/21/2013 21:06:29 MDT Print View

I sent a burner along with your order for you to test. The winters are long over there and you need something to keep you occupied :-)

Where do you purchase large flat blocks of esbit?

Edited by zelph on 08/21/2013 21:08:24 MDT.

mik matra
(mikmik) - M

large flat esbit block on 08/21/2013 23:42:29 MDT Print View

Thanks heaps for sending the extras!!! :)

The Esbit I got from the local camping shop. I haven't been able to find the same ones on Ebay. Are you interested in the larger flatter ones for experimenting with?

Soul patch
(mtblack) - F
11 grams on 08/22/2013 00:28:22 MDT Print View

Mik,

That stove will most likely weigh 14 grams. That type is often listed at 11 grams but they all seem to weigh in at 14, regardless of whose brand is on the stove. It is a very utilitarian and I love mine.

Edited by mtblack on 08/22/2013 23:29:12 MDT.

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Re: large flat esbit block on 08/24/2013 09:32:30 MDT Print View

Hi Mik, the large flat blocks you have are probably the 4 gram tablets and I have been testing those. I purchased mine on ebay. I'll see if I can get a link for you 6 of them fit inside the esbitlyte burner.

Mathew is right about the weight. Mine weighs 14grams.

I received my "Esbit" brand stove yesterday and did one test this morning in my kitchen while my wife was out and about. I was able to boil 2 cups of 70 degree water under Ideal conditions in approx 6 min. and had esbit left over in the tray (I used the large cube). (see photo) After the water boiled I took the stove outside to blow out the flames. Most of you that use esbit know what a cloud of smoke that comes off the snuffed cube and what it smells like. You can see that cloud of smoke in Trail Designs demo video of the Sidewinder.

As the stove was cooling down I could see tiny droplets of chemical being given off by the remaining cube. The latent heat was enough to have the cube continue to off-gas. I was holding the stove with a hot pad and was able to get a close look of the process. As it cooled further I could see the formation of tiny pointed crystals forming at the top edge of the tray and on the esbit itself. They looked really cool glistening in the sun light. After the remaining cube had cooled I lightly, very lightly, was able to scrape the tiny crystals off and put them on a sheet to photograph them for you to see. That's a lot of crystal chemical to be handling if you are saving the remaining tablet by touching it to put it into a zip-lock bag. This is just a heads up infomercial on the use of esbit ;-) Wherever you put the remaining piece it's sure to be losing some of those tiny crystals. It would be interesting to get some input from users on how they handle their stove and remaining esbit. Eric has been using esbit for a long time so maybe he can give us some insight on how he manages his leftovers.

My recent tests with the 4 gram tablets 2 at a time in the Esbitlyte burner show no signs of the crystal formation and residue left on the pot bottom. Maybe they would form if I had blown out the fuel midway into the tests, dunno!.

In today's test we can see the amount of residue left after a 6 min. burn time.(see photo)

photo TitaniumEsbitstove003_zpsbeb81afe.jpg
 photo TitaniumEsbitstove002_zps0d89bec8.jpg
 photo TitaniumEsbitstove001_zps725eff23.jpg
 photo TitaniumEsbitstove004_zpsaadeca28.jpg
 photo TitaniumEsbitstove006_zps65384d5e.jpg

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Re: large flat esbit block on 08/24/2013 09:42:27 MDT Print View

I normally use this Esbit burner for my cooking in the field.

I put a tiny piece of aluminum foil, less than one square inch, into the fuel tray before I burn Esbit there. This allows me to easily remove any burned or unburned remainder. I always have some aluminum foil to use as a wind screen, and often I use a piece on the ground to avoid catching any grass. The remainder can be wrapped in foil if you need to transport it somewhere else.

The white crystals are convenient if you want to re-light the Esbit for a second burn. They seem to allow the lighter flame to catch it better.

--B.G.--

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: large flat esbit block on 08/24/2013 21:47:52 MDT Print View

Thanks Bob. The foil is a good tip. I find it hard to light used tablets even in calm conditions. I've been using the large kitchen matches but may have to get one of those "jet" butane torches like Rand at TD uses in his demo video of the Sidewinder Ti-Tri. Do you use matches or a lighter?

The esbit that remained from the first test was only able to get the water hot enough that I could only hold my finger in it for about 5 seconds max. I think I've seen it said by
Eric B. that he can get a second 2 cup boil out of his remaining esbit, is that correct?

Edited by zelph on 08/24/2013 21:50:41 MDT.

Rex Sanders
(Rex) - M

Locale: Central California Coast
Re: Re: Re: Re: large flat esbit block on 08/24/2013 22:28:24 MDT Print View

"I think I've seen it said by Eric B. that he can get a second 2 cup boil out of his remaining esbit, is that correct?"

Ahh, the holy grail of two 2-cup boils from one 14 gram Esbit tablet. Like a shining light over a lonely nunnery. Guarded by insane knights. Seekers are taunted by nasty Frenchmen, and attacked by dangerous wildlife.

In my experience, your experience is about right. Boil 2 cups of water, heat up another cup or two for a hot drink, but not a boil.

-- Rex

Edited by Rex on 08/24/2013 22:30:21 MDT.

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Rex is onto something on 08/25/2013 13:37:02 MDT Print View

Rex, that is quite the collection of tall tales as is the 4 cups on one 14 gram esbit.

I like the ultralight PVC pack frame in the Nasty Frenchman video. Stop it at minute 2:52.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: large flat esbit block on 08/26/2013 21:37:00 MDT Print View

"Do you use matches or a lighter?"

The Mini-BIC lighter is standard equipment here at BPL.

I carry one book of paper matches, and it is wrapped up in plastic. That is just for backup.

--B.G.--

mik matra
(mikmik) - M

Re: Re: large flat esbit block on 08/27/2013 05:34:50 MDT Print View

"Hi Mik, the large flat blocks you have are probably the 4 gram tablets and I have been testing those. I purchased mine on ebay. I'll see if I can get a link for you 6 of them fit inside the esbitlyte burner."

The ones I am buying locally are 14g large flat block ones. They are not called Esbit but are the same thing still.

Hey did you say those cristal thingies are harmful to health?

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: large flat esbit block on 08/27/2013 12:26:26 MDT Print View

Bob, My hands are too large for the mini. I need to get one of those torch lighters. I use the large kitchen matches most of the time. Cold weather and bic lighters don't get a long very well. Cold hands can't spin the wheel very well.

MikMik, now I know what your using :-)

4 little cubes equals one big one:

photo 4gramtablets_zps44e71bff.jpg

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: large flat esbit block on 08/27/2013 12:32:32 MDT Print View

"Bob, My hands are too large for the mini."

You see, Dan, there is another place where you can shave off some weight.

"Cold weather and bic lighters don't get a long very well. Cold hands can't spin the wheel very well."

Understood. Sometimes I am a cross-country skier. When out in the snow country, it becomes vitally important to have a dependable source of fire or heat. So, early on I discovered that an ordinary butane lighter gets pretty bad when the air temperature drops below freezing. That's why I carry it in my pants pocket where it is warmed up to almost body temperature, and then it is extremely reliable.

Cold hands? That's why I use clothing pockets or else liner gloves for my hands.

--B.G.--

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Re: Re: Burning Esbit on the ground on 08/27/2013 12:34:22 MDT Print View

A steel bottle cap makes a good Esbit holder

--B.G.--

Bob, my bottle caps are too small. what kind are you using?

photo 4gramtablets2_zps00ec71cc.jpg

Edited by zelph on 08/27/2013 12:37:22 MDT.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Re: Re: Burning Esbit on the ground on 08/27/2013 12:43:33 MDT Print View

Ah-ha!

Think out of the box.

First of all, I use the standard size of Esbit tablets and I have never seen the small size in any store. Sometimes I am cutting them in half to boil a single cup of water. I stand the half-cube on its end, not flat. That slightly changes the distance from flame to pot.

Now, I suspect that leads to a faster boil time, but slightly less fuel efficiency. However, when I am in a situation where I am using a bottle cap, I am generally in a hurry.

Normally I use my Esbit fuel in an Esbit 3-wing burner. Again, I can burn it flat, or on its side, or on its end.

--B.G.--

Gary Dunckel
(Zia-Grill-Guy) - MLife

Locale: Boulder
Esbit tabs on 08/27/2013 12:52:55 MDT Print View

"4 little cubes equals one big one"

Actually, Dan, three of the 4 gm tabs = one 12 gm tab.

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Burning Esbit on the ground on 08/27/2013 12:56:41 MDT Print View

Yeah, standing on end would surely make them burn faster. My recent purchase and testing of the 3 wing burner showed it was a fast burner, not too efficient. Do you use the alum foil to cover up the sides to slow it down? I've had success in slowing it down by leaving it in it's original plastic container. Just squish the plastic sides down a bit 1/2 way.

In cold weather I don't use gloves to set up my stove/kitchen and so when I'm ready to light the fire my hands are numb, old school type of stuff heh heh. I burn wood most of the time. No fire bans in the Midwest corn/soybean fields.....lucky to find a wooded area LOL

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Burning Esbit on the ground on 08/27/2013 13:04:54 MDT Print View

"Do you use the alum foil to cover up the sides to slow it down?"

No, I'm too impatient for that.

Besides, where I backpack the altitude is normally around 10,000 feet, so the boiling temperature is depressed somewhat. If I am going to drink my tea hot, then I like to get it to a boil as fast as possible, not as efficiently as possible.

"No fire bans in the Midwest corn/soybean fields.....lucky to find a wooded area LOL"

Why do you think I moved out from the Midwest about 35 years ago?

--B.G.--

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Re: Esbit tabs on 08/27/2013 13:15:06 MDT Print View

Gary, I weighed them again. This time I took the big one out of the packaging.

photo 4gramtablets2002_zps42d33fbe.jpg
 photo 4gramtablets2001_zps7dbc7d67.jpg

Why do you think I moved out from the Midwest about 35 years ago?

--B.G.--

Haha, my daughter moved to Utah in January of this year, came home for a visit 4 weeks ago and quickly said "there is so much green here in IL. It smells green also :-)

Woodlands are on the increase do to habitat restorations. we be thinking "green" out here! Yousa guys are burning up your's Youse guys have to pay more taxes so the DNR/blm can do more controlled burns to get rid of the understory fuel. Just kidding!

Edited by zelph on 08/27/2013 13:24:31 MDT.

Gary Dunckel
(Zia-Grill-Guy) - MLife

Locale: Boulder
Re: Esbit tabs on 08/27/2013 13:40:33 MDT Print View

A-ha, Dan! So 3.5 of the little guys equals one of the 14 gm. big guys. So here's what you do--cut one of the 4 gm tabs in half, and send one half to the BLM to use in their controlled burns out here. That'll help reduce our taxes a wee bit, and you'll have 2 versions of a 14 gm Esbit load for your tests.

Edit--On second thought, send the extra half tabs to -B.G.-. They'll fit perfectly in his bottle caps. The BLM wouldn't know what to do with them anyway.

Edited by Zia-Grill-Guy on 08/27/2013 13:43:45 MDT.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Re: Esbit tabs on 08/27/2013 14:08:57 MDT Print View

"They'll fit perfectly in his bottle caps."

Naah. I'm busy with my Dremel tool. I'm trying to grind off the excess metal of a bottle cap. Maybe drill some air holes in it.

--B.G.--

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: large flat esbit block on 08/27/2013 18:18:00 MDT Print View

"Hey did you say those crystal thingies are harmful to health?"

I don't think I said that but......I will surely not blow out any more cubes in a burner such as the tri wing that I recently tested. From now on I'll let them burn up completely. I'm surprised the state of California allows them to be sold there. When they are blown out, the cloud of smoke can gag a maggot. Watch Trail Designs video on the demo of the Sidewinder and see the cloud of smoke.

Maybe I can modify the Tri-wing to burn alcohol in the Modified StarLyte burner. Come to think of it, the Esbitlyte might work well with the tri-wing as a simmer stove.

mik matra
(mikmik) - M

To Dan on 08/28/2013 05:14:28 MDT Print View

Here is that Esbit burner I ordered.....though I modified it as my Ti windscreen's circumference was not big enough to slide all the way to the ground and so I trimmed the bits 'hanging out' on the Ti Pot Stand/Stove. It's now under 12grams

Esbit Ti Pot stand/stove

The Esbit tabs that I can get are actually 26grams and they are a large size. Here it is:

local esbit

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Re: To Dan on 08/28/2013 11:48:53 MDT Print View

I love it when we can "modify" to "make it work" :-) Nice trim!

That is one big esbit tablet. whoa! Bob would need a large bottle cap for that one. LOL

So, Are you satisfied with the results of your new esbit stove?

mik matra
(mikmik) - M

Re: Re: To Dan on 08/28/2013 14:07:20 MDT Print View

I just finished holidays and literally only had time to tinker with the stove/potstand and not try it yet. I can't see it being less efficient compared to my home made gram cracker and coat hanger wire potstand. This Esbit stove/potstand is a lot more sturdier than my home creation and is on-par with weight so it will get the nod.

Haven't got your mail yet though some things I have purchased from the U.S. recently have taken 3-3.5 weeks to get here. I bet it's the USPS but the Aussie Post that is to blame. Aussie post has a nickname here in Oz......Snailmail.