Forum Index » GEAR » Golite/Eureka "NIGOR" Packs.

Display Avatars Sort By:
Matthew Perry
(bigfoot2) - F - M

Locale: Oregon
Golite/Eureka "NIGOR" Packs. on 07/20/2013 09:14:52 MDT Print View

"I don't think anyone here other than Mr. Perry would have started this thread."

(sigh)....Here we go, again.........

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/24b56caf3e/black-hiker-with-blair-underwood

Matt

Edited by bigfoot2 on 07/20/2013 09:15:59 MDT.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: Golite/Eureka "NIGOR" Packs. on 07/20/2013 09:31:41 MDT Print View

Just seeing if you were paying attention. Good Morning Matthew!

george carr
(hammer-one) - F

Locale: Walking With The Son
Re:Golite/Eureka "NIGOR" Packs on 07/20/2013 10:10:03 MDT Print View

"I actually LOVE the Nova story. Cracks me up every time I think about it ;)"

http://spanish.about.com/cs/culture/a/chevy_nova.htm

Matt Dirksen
(NamelessWay) - MLife

Locale: Mid Atlantic
Re: Re: Golite/Eureka "NIGOR" Packs. on 07/20/2013 10:55:56 MDT Print View

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experiences, Miguel.

I, too, was thinking of the "corporate unconsciousness" that created the Nova fiasco for Chevy. However, unlike that particular situation, and as you have indicated, the N word has very deep and very negative historical roots in the US. (I, like many of the gen-x population here, probably don't have to go far in our family tree where that word was actively used or spoken to). Coincidentally, I heard Obama just spoke about our country's race relations yesterday in an unannounced speech. I didn't get to hear it, but I understand it was quite powerful, and quite relevant to the issues at-hand.)

Therefore, in my opinion, agree with you that the US and Europe are as equally conscious AND UNCONSCIOUS, when it comes to race. However, I very much see this as just another example of corporate unconsciousness and irresponsibility. I believe that creating and naming a product which can easily be miss-construded to represent one of the most offensive words in American culture, is highly disrespectful, at the minimum, even if the pack is never intended to be sold in the States.

This reminds me of a man I once knew who recently passed away. He was an extraordinarily sweet, gentile, and deeply spiritual person. Due to a series of powerful visions he had experienced in the 60's, he had committed himself to the mission to reclaim the ancient symbol of the swastika.
In case you are interested I just found this page about him: http://www.vice.com/read/manwoman-is-taking-back-the-swastika

Anyway, I suspect that the reason I share this is because I have witnessed first-hand the visceral impact that jewish men have experienced just looking at this man without his shirt on, regardless of his sincerity of intentions. For some of them; to simply look at a man covered in an ancient symbol which the Nazi's hijacked and used to their gain was FAR too much to for them bear, both personally, and inter-personally. In my wife's family (Filipino) , we have are elders in her family who wont even look upon Japanese men to this day, due to the indescribable trauma they had experienced by Japanese soldiers as children in the WWII concentration camps.

Like the swastika, I believe it may take many many MANY more generations before the N word may not have the same cultural impact that it still has. And due to the interconnected world that we live in, if I were an international company, it would be in my best interest to pay very close attention to this. I don't foresee any protests and riots over this one, but I can assure I already have friends who will say to me "There goes another one..."

all the best,

Matt

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
Re: Golite/Eureka "NIGOR" Packs. on 07/20/2013 11:32:46 MDT Print View

*Ba dum tssshh

Wes Kline
(weskline) - F

Locale: Adirondacks
removed on 07/20/2013 12:20:13 MDT Print View

removed

Edited by weskline on 07/20/2013 14:09:10 MDT.

Wes Kline
(weskline) - F

Locale: Adirondacks
removed on 07/20/2013 12:43:22 MDT Print View

removed

Edited by weskline on 07/20/2013 14:09:54 MDT.

Steofan The Apostate
(simaulius) - F

Locale: Bohemian Alps
Golite/Eureka "NIGOR" Packs on 07/20/2013 13:20:48 MDT Print View

Mr. Perry,
Thank-you for reminding me that I really wanted to order one of packs. It should be perfect for the typical Fri-Sun Boy Scout campouts. If I can get the guys into intelligent conversations regarding the pack name and their impressions then I will be happy. If they can't seem to grow up and get beyond it then I suppose I could sew a Conch Republic flag over the NIGOR and just be done with it.

Clayton Mauritzen
(GlacierRambler) - M

Locale: NW Montana
re Miguel on 07/20/2013 13:29:36 MDT Print View

Well said, Miguel. Thank you.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Europe? on 07/20/2013 13:50:48 MDT Print View

Europe is pretty diverse...
Racism in "Europe" is hard to define, complicated and not exactly parallel to this country's.
Southerns migrating north, both in their own country and abroad, have held the more menial jobs and historically have been subject to what we would call racism. Northern Italians complain about how other countries are prejudiced against them, yet they have been doing the same to their southern neighbors for centuries. Every country seems to have their own group, defined either by their ethnicity, their religion or something else, that they get to pick on, blame and treat unfairly. Same for African countries, same for Mexico, where the short dark people from Oaxaca are called "negros" and treat as inferiors.
I know I am not saying anything enlightened here..
North African immigration is pretty new to a lot of Europe, a little older to France because of their "colonies". Racism is alive and well in a lot of Eurpoean countries , and I would say more so than in the US. On my last visit to Italy the graffiti that I saw two years previous was still there. It said "Negri ai forni". Now "Negri" is the PC word, where as "neri" ( blacks) is the derogatory word. It still read " Negri to the ovens". I would have to believe that in this country that graffiti would have been removed pretty quickly.

I don't think the pack name has anything to do with any of this though.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Golite/Eureka "NIGOR" Packs on 07/20/2013 18:10:54 MDT Print View

If you like the No Va story you should read about the Pajero (Mitsubishi)

Another case in point to illustrate just how difficult coming up with a new name is.
The hardest part is avoiding names that "sound" like something else or simply idiomatic terms that, by definition, don't translate the way you think they do.
Silly examples, the Italian word for fennell can be the vegetable or the slang and derogatory word for a male homosexual , lemonade can mean a french kiss..

BTW, as Katharina has already pointed out, in Italian the accepted word for "black" is negro (niger (black) in Latin) and of course there is the African country of Niger with the Niger river crossing it and their southern neighbours Nigeria...

The Swastika has been used since the Bronze Age in India as well as several Asian countries.

Edited by Franco on 07/20/2013 18:19:54 MDT.

eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F - M
chunky on 07/20/2013 20:49:22 MDT Print View

whenever i see an ad for campbells CHUNKY soups i get REALLY offended ...

i mean really are those campbells folks soooo insensitive that they dont realize that it sounds like ch-nky .... as an azn this is absolutely and utterly insulting ...

BURN THEM ALL !!!

;)

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Amen! on 07/20/2013 21:00:45 MDT Print View

I feel the same way Eric when people honk their horn at me or offer me crackers.

Jeffs Eleven
(WoodenWizard) - F

Locale: Greater Mt Tabor
Re: chunky on 07/20/2013 21:38:10 MDT Print View

The overweight azn population really has a beef with campbells.

Wonder bread- you're next!

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: chunky on 07/20/2013 21:42:12 MDT Print View

Yeah, That Enriched White. Like it was named after the 1%

Raymond Estrella
(rayestrella) - MLife

Locale: Northern Minnesota
what am I on 07/20/2013 21:55:14 MDT Print View

I have a Spanish name but look more like my mom's Russian. Does that make me a Spigor?

Hmm,

SW Spigor seeks lightweight Nigor for low volume fun. Outdoors lover a plus...

Raymond Estrella
(rayestrella) - MLife

Locale: Northern Minnesota
Soup on 07/20/2013 21:58:06 MDT Print View

"whenever i see an ad for campbells CHUNKY soups i get REALLY offended"

Dang Eric, at least they say it has extra big pieces... ;-)

Jeffs Eleven
(WoodenWizard) - F

Locale: Greater Mt Tabor
Re: what am I on 07/20/2013 23:28:55 MDT Print View

"SW Spigor seeks lightweight Nigor for low volume fun. Outdoors lover a plus..."

That is funny as hell, Ray!! Nice!

Lol- "low volume fun". Ahhh the entendres

Danny Milks
(dannymilks) - MLife

Locale: Sierras
model names on 07/20/2013 23:30:30 MDT Print View

+1 Miguel.

That being said, my first car was a 1986 Nova. It went.

Matt Dirksen
(NamelessWay) - MLife

Locale: Mid Atlantic
Re: chunky on 07/21/2013 05:53:15 MDT Print View

Eric:

"No... I meant, where are you FROM?"

http://www.youtube.com/embed/DWynJkN5HbQ?autoplay=1

;>D

(I guess this thread is officially off topic now...)