Sawyer Squeeze "grafity filter" bag recommendations
Display Avatars Sort By:
Bill Law
(williamlaw) - M

Locale: SF Bay Area
Re: Re: Re: Failed Nalgene Cantene on 07/27/2013 10:32:04 MDT Print View

No signs of wear, at least so I noticed. The most recent one is simply a pinhole at the junction where the solid material of the opening meets the soft body material. Like where it would flex when one folds it up flat to stow in one's pack.

John Coyle
(Bigsac)

Locale: NorCal
Sawyer Squeeze "grafity filter" bag recommendations on 07/27/2013 14:06:10 MDT Print View

I just got back from a 5 day 3 person backpacking trip in Lassen National Park. We used a Sawyer Squeeze for all our water. I had 2 Evernew 1.5L water bags and the largest Sawyer bag for the dirty water bag. My friends had various other containers for clean water. I also had the Sawyer adapter from Mini Bull Designs (Tinny). None of us got sick drinking water filtered by the Squeeze filter, and I could see what appeared to be little crustaceans and other minute critters swimming around in some of the water.

I may have been a little overzealous with my squeeze pressure because one Evernew bag sprung a leak where the neck is glued on, although the bag is 3 years old, which is 90 years old in human years. When using the adapter from Minibull, I noticed the Evernew bag seemed to blow up like a balloon indicating excessive pressure, which probably contributed to the leak. After that, I backed off on the adapter one turn to let the excess pressure go through the threads. That solved the problem and the other Evernew bag didn't leak. Strangely enough, the much maligned Sawyer dirty water bag didn't leak at all.

The Mini Bull Squeeze adaptor works great for back flushing in the field and I plan to continue using it, although I will back off one turn in squeeze mode where the clean water bag fits on as I said before. Also a cut down plastic soda bottle is essential for filling the plastic dirty water bag in the field because you will go bonkers trying to fill it without one. If you blow it up with your mouth first, and who wants to put his lips on a dirty water bag anyway, it just collapses when you submerge it in the water.

I can tell you one thing, squeezing enough water for three people through the Squeeze filter every night and morning is tedious, unless you have forearms like Popeye, which I don't. I noticed that water flows through it at a reduced rate with no squeezing at all, so I think rigging the Sawyer filter as a gravity filter is a good idea, as gravity should push the water through the filter eventually. It would sure make life a little easier.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Sawyer Squeeze "grafity filter" bag recommendations on 07/27/2013 14:22:33 MDT Print View

I used soda bottle last couple times. High flow rate. No popeye arms required.

steven franchuk
(Surf) - M
Re: Re: Sawyer Squeeze "grafity filter" bag recommendations on 07/27/2013 22:07:53 MDT Print View

"I just had my third Nalgene Cantene failure this past weekend. The first two I used for some time before they sprung leaks. The last one didn't really get that much use. The plastic seemed a bit too stiff and suffers from " plastic" fatigue, or something. I have a Platypus bag and time will tell if that will hold up better."

I had two platypus bladders the older transparent plastic type) do the same thing. The problem is that as the bag drains the plastic can kink or fold tightly in certain places. Once a kink forms it will repeatedly kink in the same place every time you use it. Eventually the plastic laminates and fails.

I tried a a discontinued MSR bladder made of a softer plastic and it also failed for the same reason. I am now trying a MSR Dromedary which is polyurethane coated fabric. I also have a small Cantene which I use for juice but both can use the same lid.

My advice is to inspect the bag after each use for delamination or weak areas forming and replace it when you see issues. Also carry tap or blue so that you can patch the bladder when necessary. The other option is to carry two smaller bladders so that if one fails you have a backup. I use one for juice and the other as my bladder with an in line filter.

Jeff McWilliams
(jjmcwill) - M

Locale: Midwest
Tape or Glue repair on 07/28/2013 17:14:12 MDT Print View

I like the idea of using some sort of repair that I may already have in my patch kit, such as duct tape, Tenacious Tape, or similar sleeping pad repair kits, to attempt to fix one of these in the field.

Does anyone have any experience trying to do this? Maybe a small dot of SeamGrip backed by duct tape or tenacious tape?

I have a few extra 32oz wide mouthed nalgene cantenes. I may introduce a small failure in one of them and see how easy it is to perform a field repair.

John Borton
(ThinAirDesigns) - MLife
Canteen failures on 11/03/2013 16:01:19 MST Print View

I have 4 of the 96oz Nalgene Canteens and in one year of reasonable (but not heavy) use I have had 2 failures -- both of the same variety.

The failure point is where the flexible plastic joins the solid block at the mouth. Just pinholes and seems to be a fatigue failure from folding them up in my pack.

I loved them -- they were light and *seemed* more durable than some of the alternatives, but unless I can figure out how to stow them in a better manner and make them last as such I'm going to have to give up on them.

Bummed.

JB

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Gravity filter camp reservoir on 11/03/2013 17:27:51 MST Print View

As I read through this thread, I thought about using a recycled gallon PETE drinking water jug for camp use only (clean end). They are so light that you could stash it on the outside of a pack to avoid crushing it to fit inside. We used a couple for car camping trips this summer and they are as long lived as the smaller ones.

I don't think there is a lighter or cheaper way to manage a gallon of water:
Water jug

My local Seattle Goodwill stores have been selling these 2.8 liter bags for $1.79. They should work fine for the dirty end. Take a paper punch and make a couple holes in the bottom flange to hang them with (or a Platy). BTW, I think they are a little shy of 2.8 liters.

Goodwill water bladder

Edited by dwambaugh on 11/03/2013 17:33:04 MST.