Forum Index » Editor's Roundtable » The Evolution of a Winter Stove - Part 3

Display Avatars Sort By:
Michael Gillenwater
(mwgillenwater) - M

Locale: Seattle area
Re: Update on beta-test stoves - why the delay on 09/16/2013 18:10:12 MDT Print View

Glad you are feeling better. And no apologies necessary. Life if full of the unexpected.

Oliver Nissen
(olivernissen) - MLife

Locale: Yorkshire Dales
Same sentiments, no apologies necessary... on 09/30/2013 14:08:51 MDT Print View

Roger: I'm glad to hear you weren't flattened under 240kgs of CNC machine, but sorry to hear you were laid flat by a 0.01 microns wide, three weeks long flu virus... And for all your other set backs too.

I received your email, but just wanted to bring to your attention that you'd left your dollars ambiguous! It's safer to assume you're referring to US dollars (we're not going to short change you that way), as opposed to the more economical Australian variety.

My Paypal payment sent! Thanks

Edited by olivernissen on 09/30/2013 15:33:06 MDT.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
At last - production is happening on 10/03/2013 03:06:02 MDT Print View

After many weeks of promises, promises, we really do have production at an advanced stage. Andf the 3+ weeks of flu is past.

5483 Lots of canister connectors
Here we have a stack of canister connectors with cam valves in place. The next step is to connect up a lot of hoses - one is shown at the bottom.

The green-handled screw-driver at the top is an aid for the aged ... :-) Actually, it was getting painful putting the self-tapping screws into the acetal plastic for the retainer plates because the first insertion is a serious thread-forming process, and the handle of the silver screwdriver was really thin. The fat green handle makes that easy.

All the Nalge bottles at the top - bottles of bits to go into the stove. Amazing how many separate parts are involved.

5481 a range of stove parts
A range of parts. Untested stoves with burners at the left, then untested stoves without burners, a stove body with the new tripod legs, a fan of tripod legs, a handful of canister connectors with hoses, and finally at the right a handful of hoses.

The hoses do not have the filling cord inside yet, and they don't have the essential little internal heat exchanger rods either. They go in when the hose is connected to the stove body. Tomorrow is another day.

The final stage will be testing: pressure testing for leaks, flow testing for the whole system, and then a burn test for each stove to make sure the darn things work. So far I have caught one hose which was mostly blocked for some reason, and one stove which did not burn correctly. The latter had a foreign jet by mistake, and the fuel/air ratio was all wrong.

Cheers

Roger Caffin

Wednesday 9-Oct on 10/09/2013 00:00:44 MDT Print View

The first batch of stoves has been assembled.
They have all been pressure-tested for leaks and for flow.
They are now being individually burn-tested.
Next stop, package them all up and down to the post office.

Cheers
Edited to fix date

Edited by rcaffin on 10/09/2013 14:28:15 MDT.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Wednesday 6-Oct ?? on 10/09/2013 00:15:12 MDT Print View

What calendar are you looking at?

--B.G.--

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
The Evolution of a Winter Stove - Part 3 on 10/09/2013 00:50:16 MDT Print View

I am glad I put my order in early.

Rick M
(rmjapan) - F

Locale: Tokyo, Japan
Re: Re: Wednesday 6-Oct ?? on 10/09/2013 00:50:18 MDT Print View

What the heck is this? Roger is now making/selling a winter remote canister stove? Is it a limited beta or a full on production? What are the details/specs? Do we send our stoves to be modified? How much and where do I sign up?

Neil Johnstone
(nsjohnstone) - MLife
Wednesday 6th October on 10/09/2013 04:12:28 MDT Print View

Easily explained.
He is in Australia, so is upside down.
A 6 upside down is a 9......................

James Marco
(jamesdmarco) - MLife

Locale: Finger Lakes
Re: Re: Wednesday 6-Oct ?? on 10/09/2013 04:48:39 MDT Print View

October 6??? OK. You design a stove that is better than anything else. You repair CNC millers. You fiddle with things around the farm. But, you still do that retired thing and loose track of the date. Ahh, well...We know what you mean...well, sometimes anyway. That bug must've really knocked hell out of you. Nope, it must have been all that diggin'.

Anyway, I didn't get a confirmation from you, . I ass-u-me you got the payment. Thanks Roger!

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Wednesday 6th October on 10/09/2013 08:49:16 MDT Print View

Neil, you beat me to it...

Australian calendar is upside down

Roger Caffin

Re: Re: Re: Wednesday 6-Oct ?? on 10/09/2013 14:34:55 MDT Print View

Hi Jim

> I didn't get a confirmation from you, . I ass-u-me you got the payment.
That's the good thing about Paypal: you get a FULL record of transactions.
And yes, I check Paypal every day and record all payments on my machine too. Yours was recorded.

The date - a simple typo. But it seems to have created lots of postings! :-)

All stoves in this batch have been pressure tested for leaks (100% pass rate) and for flow rate (100% pass rate). They are now being burn-tested for correct fuel/air mix and power.

Cheers

Roger Caffin

Re: Re: Re: Wednesday 6-Oct ?? on 10/09/2013 14:37:12 MDT Print View

Hi Rick

> What are the details/specs?
Well, if you read the 3 articles to which this Forum thread is attached, you will find all the gory details.

Cheers

Rick M
(rmjapan) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: Wednesday 6-Oct ?? on 10/09/2013 15:12:52 MDT Print View

Roger, don't suppose there is a Cliff's Notes version of the info for those of us not privy to the BPL secret handshake?

Erik G
(fox212) - F

Locale: THE Bay Area :)
Re: Cliff Notes on 10/09/2013 15:35:36 MDT Print View

+1 to Rick M's request for a quick summary of the specs and if/how we could order one. I really want to get my hands on one of these stoves, but I really don't want to have to pay for an article or three just to see how to get it. It's the articles or the stove for this guy! :)

Edited by fox212 on 10/09/2013 15:36:29 MDT.

Michael Gillenwater
(mwgillenwater) - M

Locale: Seattle area
Re: Re: Cliff Notes on 10/09/2013 15:39:29 MDT Print View

Not to set off a firestorm of my own, but it is only $25 to be a member of BPL and get access to everything.

Peter (Taking a break)
(prse) - MLife

Locale: Denmark
Support on 10/09/2013 16:08:02 MDT Print View

This would seem like a good time to support BPL, so Roger can continue his awesome work/articles that we have all benefited so much from...

Erik G
(fox212) - F

Locale: THE Bay Area :)
Re: Cliff Notes and Support on 10/09/2013 16:28:37 MDT Print View

Thank you for the kind reminders and advice on how to spend my money. ;) I'd much rather support the development of the stove by - you guessed it - buying a stove! I really don't want to start a debate about the relative value of a dollar or 25 and trash this thread. If the requested info is members only, then so be it. If not, somebody spill the beans! :)

Edited by fox212 on 10/09/2013 16:31:53 MDT.

Rick M
(rmjapan) - F

Re: Re: Cliff Notes and Support on 10/09/2013 16:56:45 MDT Print View

Yes, and let's not forget the Kovea Spider can be had on eBay for only US$50 shipped. But from what I've gathered in Franco's post above, his 116t RC stove weighs 90g and may offer more power output control with the valve at the stove instead of the canister.

Anyway, I already have a 116t stove and I can still get high propane content Winter gas here in Japan. Wrapping some copper wire around the canister and leaving the tip in the flame for a makeshift canister power booster allowed me to have good burns in -10C temps.

Peter (Taking a break)
(prse) - MLife

Locale: Denmark
No worries on 10/09/2013 17:15:51 MDT Print View

I'll be so kind and suggest you get a membership AND the stove.

Yours truly! :-)

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: Support on 10/09/2013 18:26:50 MDT Print View

Roger volunteers all him time and effort here at BPL. Throwing money at BPL unfortunately will have no impact on Roger. If BPL was to cease Roger would have more free time to get stoves done. Catch 22.

Nice stove Roger.

Thanks for everything!