Forum Index » GEAR » Question for Arc Blast users

Display Avatars Sort By:
David Poston
(dgposton) - F

Locale: Texas / Colorado
Question for Arc Blast users on 07/16/2013 19:06:17 MDT Print View

I have a question about my Arc Blast: How do I tension the stays, and how do I know if the proper tension is achieved? I noticed that one side is more bowed than the other. Do I do this with the pack full or empty?

USA Duane Hall
(hikerduane) - F

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada
Question for Arc Blast users on 07/16/2013 20:07:35 MDT Print View

I noticed a very slight difference on mine also. Very stiff to try to adjust, seems to be fine now, but then this coming Thursday, I'll be out for a week, so I'll get to test if fully. Over the Independence Day holiday, it carried fine with upper teens weight wise, I'll have low 20's for my coming trip, depending on water carried. I hiked continuously for 3.5 hours, stopping briefly for water breaks as my old arms cannot access the water bottle pouch unless I partially take the pack off. My shoulders and hips feel no sore spots or rubs. I left my hose off to save that oz. or so and brought a Gatorade bottle which added another bit.
Duane

Mark Hurd
(markhurd) - M

Locale: South Texas
From z-packs website on 07/16/2013 20:11:14 MDT Print View

Got the following from Z-Packs website.

"The frame is curved to allow air flow and keep your back cushioned from the pack's contents. You can adjust the curve by tensioning the mesh back panel. The recommended arch is about 2.5" (6 cm), but feel free to experiment."

-Mark

Kent C.
(kent) - M

Locale: High Sierra
adjustment of Arc Blast on 07/17/2013 02:23:46 MDT Print View

David,

Sorry I can't find it now, but as I recall, the proper adjustment is with the pack empty.

It's super easy to verify though if you have access to email...just email them; Joe responds VERY quickly.

Drew Jay
(drewjh) - M

Locale: Central Coast
Empty on 07/17/2013 05:59:54 MDT Print View

The pack needs to be empty, if it is full you will distort or possibly break the buckles.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: Question for Arc Blast users on 07/17/2013 06:34:44 MDT Print View

Be careful. I broke a buckle trying to adjust one side when cranking down on the adjustment strap. Not field repairable.

Kent C.
(kent) - M

Locale: High Sierra
Arc Blast frame adjustment on 07/17/2013 14:42:51 MDT Print View

Also, if you stand the pack upright and then put a little pressure on the vertical frame to bow it a little, that will relieve the stress on the adjusting strap & buckle. This makes it much, much easier to make the adjustment.

Peter Bakwin
(pbakwin) - F
Blast arc on 07/17/2013 16:41:53 MDT Print View

I'm finding that the tensioners pop loose as I'm walking. The cord locks seem inadequate and also hard to retension. In the end I'm not sure that I don't just prefer to hike w/o the "arc" anyway.

USA Duane Hall
(hikerduane) - F

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada
Question for Arc Blast users on 07/17/2013 18:00:26 MDT Print View

Maybe we need to rig up a come-a-long? :)
Duane