Forum Index » Chaff » When cultures and fannies clash

Display Avatars Sort By:
Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
When cultures and fannies clash on 07/16/2013 12:27:52 MDT Print View

Just had a Scotsman explain to me what fanny means in the UK. Since I'm a guilty of felonious fashion faux pas.. I shall now call my fanny pack my "adventure pack!"

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Re: When cultures and fannies clash on 07/16/2013 12:32:04 MDT Print View

Those Scotts......I remember when someone posted about being a "tosser" and a turner at night, asking for quilt advice. We were all schooled on that one pretty quick :)

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: Re: When cultures and fannies clash on 07/16/2013 14:27:46 MDT Print View

Speaking of Scots....where is Mike?

I am still awaiting pics of his new Mini.

Marko Botsaris
(millonas) - F - MLife

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
Re: When cultures and fannies clash on 07/16/2013 22:23:13 MDT Print View

I have used the word "tweaking" for a couple of decades. When I was a kid that is what we call sneaking up on your friend an flicking their ear hard enough to make then jump about 5 feet off the ground. But I have just been using it to mean "making a small adjustment". However I found out the hard way when a friend started laughing at me that this is not the only slang use of the word. In addition to sometimes referring to masturbation (In Britain I think) and certain other sexual practices I found out it means freaking out on speed, and so on.

I usually tell them it's official as "making a small adjustment" since it was in the movie "You've Got Mail", but that barely stops most people from giggling at me (i.e. "tweeking out") about my mistake.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: When cultures and fannies clash on 07/17/2013 09:33:54 MDT Print View

Hmmm.... any pack can be an 'adventure' pack, no? Or are you defining fanny as an adventure (not that there's anything wrong with it)? FWIW, I call 'em lumbar pack or waist pack.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Re: Re: When cultures and fannies clash on 07/17/2013 11:33:03 MDT Print View

Kat,

I was stationed in Germany for a couple years. My then girlfriend and I decided to go to a pizzeria one night for dinner in Nurnberg. I picked up a slice of pizza with my hand and took bite just before I heard her gasp. I looked around the restaurant and realized that everyone was using their silverware to eat their pizza so I guess my stunt probably made me look like a barbarian (which is not too far from the truth I suppose.)

That was about the time that she stopped calling me schatzi and started calling me alte sow instead.

I'm not sure if that pizza protocol holds true in Switzerland or Italy but I thought you might get a kick out of it.

Edited by IDBLOOM on 07/17/2013 11:35:37 MDT.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Re: Re: When cultures and fannies clash on 07/17/2013 11:34:56 MDT Print View

"Hmmm.... any pack can be an 'adventure' pack, no? Or are you defining fanny as an adventure (not that there's anything wrong with it)?"

Good one Farva.

Marko Botsaris
(millonas) - F - MLife

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
Re: Re: Re: When cultures and fannies clash on 07/20/2013 10:10:22 MDT Print View

What the most interesting man in the world thinks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYKY2KTJZ3I

But I'm sure his ears perk up when he hears "Adventure".

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: When cultures and fannies clash on 07/20/2013 15:12:39 MDT Print View

Ha ha!