Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Options for lightweight, calf-length gaiters?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Curtis B.
(rutilate) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Options for lightweight, calf-length gaiters? on 07/14/2013 18:04:12 MDT Print View

I'm trying to avoid having to wear pants while hiking in hot and humid environments to protect my legs where the trail is slightly overgrown. But I'm not quite that risque, so I'm considering a pair of knee-length eVent or PacLite gaiters that I can quickly put on and remove (without taking off my boots). My wife has a very simple pair of PacLite gaiters that have velcro closure and a hook loop for the toe of the boot. I wear shorts that come nearly to my knee and the gaiters might weigh less than an extra pair of pants.

I'm aware of MLD's gaiters that require you to remove boots, and Integral Designs' shortie gaiters. Are there other options you're aware of? Do you know of someone who might be able to make these (ie. like Zimmerbuilt for packs)?

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Options for lightweight, calf-length gaiters? on 07/14/2013 18:43:04 MDT Print View

my OR gaiters fit your description. 7 oz
(can't remember the name...)

odd
I had a look on the OR site.
They look like the Verglas but I was sure that they are made with eVent..
I have the ID Shortie, so maybe I was thinking of those.
The OR are several years old .

Edited by Franco on 07/14/2013 19:03:57 MDT.

Curtis B.
(rutilate) - MLife

Re: Options for lightweight, calf-length gaiters? on 07/14/2013 18:57:20 MDT Print View

Would they be the

Verglas
or the Rocky Mountain High gaiters?

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Options for lightweight, calf-length gaiters? on 07/14/2013 19:07:58 MDT Print View

Outdoor Research has been in the gaiters market for decades, especially in the more heavy duty types like for cross country skiers. Mine are over thirty years old and still going strong.

--B.G.--

Curtis B.
(rutilate) - MLife

Re: Re: Options for lightweight, calf-length gaiters? on 07/15/2013 18:08:44 MDT Print View

It looks like OR is closing out the Cascadia design, which is what I think my wife has. Too bad, as it is lighter than the current offerings.

It is a shame that I'm not as handy with a sewing machine as I am with a table saw. I toyed with an idea of Dale Wambaugh's of taking a couple of throw-away rain pants, cutting the legs off, and sewing on some velcro to make my own gaiters. I might still have to give it a shot, even though the stitching will be crap!

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Options for lightweight, calf-length gaiters? on 07/15/2013 20:37:24 MDT Print View

Curtis,

Have you tried hiking in shorts without gaiters? It isn't that bad and the little scratches heal by the next day. The only time I wear gaiters is in snow and some times Dirty Girl Gaiters to keep out sand. On the other hand, if the gaiters are protection from stuff like ticks that would make sense.

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
re. the ID short gaiter on 07/15/2013 22:10:28 MDT Print View

I have a pair of ID short gaiters that I'm cutting open at the heel and attatching heavy duty Velcro closures.

Damnsd if I'll take my boots on and off to use the gaiters as they came. Dumb design.
Gram wise and ergonomically foolish.

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
Re: Re: Options for lightweight, calf-length gaiters? on 07/15/2013 22:25:43 MDT Print View

"Have you tried hiking in shorts without gaiters? It isn't that bad and the little scratches heal by the next day."

Have you ever walked through a thicket of dead manzanita in shorts? I have many times and it's not pretty.

Head into REI and see if they still have the REI trail gaiters. Uncoated generic black gaiters, velcro closure and a nice slim fit. They were on sale for $25 a couple weeks ago.

I took a cheap windbreaker from a thrift store, cut off the arms, and used them as gaiters for a while back. They don't deflect sharp branches, it still hurts, but it won't break the skin or anything. Heavy duty gaiter fabric is kind of overkill unless you are shaving your shins through horrible bushwhacking.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Re: Options for lightweight, calf-length gaiters? on 07/15/2013 23:25:38 MDT Print View

"Have you ever walked through a thicket of dead manzanita in shorts? I have many times and it's not pretty."

Justin,

It was not a derogatory remark towards Curtis. He said that he would be walking "where the trail is slightly overgrown" and that he is used to wearing long pants. I only suggested that it might not be as bad as it appears.

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
Re: Re: Options for lightweight, calf-length gaiters? on 07/15/2013 23:41:15 MDT Print View

I know Nick and I wasn't dismissing your advice. I agree that sometimes it's best to tough it out and get cut up a little.

Your post reminded me of some nasty bushwacks I've done in shorts. I've almost been stranded because of shorts.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Options for lightweight, calf-length gaiters? on 07/16/2013 00:15:02 MDT Print View

We have a lot of manzanita down here as PCT thru hikers know. But the desert can be worse. Catclaw is the worst of the worst, unless you hike through a cholla garden. A couple months ago I did a trip with BPL member Chad Eagle, and about 1/4 way through he was making fun of my legs, so I took a couple pictures during a rest stop...

legs 1

legs 2

Just a typical desert hike. Doesn't really hurt except for the stuff with big thorns or fish hook spines.

Curtis B.
(rutilate) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Options for lightweight, calf-length gaiters? on 07/16/2013 05:56:36 MDT Print View

"Have you tried hiking in shorts without gaiters? It isn't that bad and the little scratches heal by the next day."

I always hike in shorts. I can't stand pants as they get wet with sweat and bind my legs. Zip-off pants have never been comfortable.

On one particular trip in Yellowstone, I ended up getting a nasty sunburn on my shins. I was careful to apply sunscreen to the backs of my legs because I knew the sun would be at my back all day, but somehow missed the fronts. For the next three days I was hiking through overgrown brush on the trail and every step scraped the sunburned skin with twigs and branches (grass would've been fine).

I'm trying to find a solution for those occasional stretches where the trail is overgrown. Ideally a pair of lightweight gators would weigh less than a pair of pants and be easy-on/off.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Options for lightweight, calf-length gaiters? on 07/16/2013 09:32:51 MDT Print View

I think you are going to find tall gaitors to be heavy. My OR Verglas weigh 7.4 ounces for the pair.

You might want to try and find some cheap thin nylon pants at a thrift store and cut off the legs and try to make some. Easy for me to say, I can't sew :)

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Options for lightweight, calf-length gaiters? on 07/16/2013 09:42:36 MDT Print View

Depending on how you think about it, you only have to remove your shoes once for the MLD gaiters. Just put them on in the morning. Don't need them? Just loosen the top and let them fall around your ankles. Need them for a short stretch? Pull them up and cinch them around your leg.

They're very light, well made, and will work for what you want (except the easy on-easy off throughout the day bit).

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Options for lightweight, calf-length gaiters? on 07/16/2013 09:44:18 MDT Print View

Over the calf MYOG

2 ounces for pair. 1.1 oz breathable nylon. #3 zipper. Elastic at top.

I've used maybe 50 days, show some wear, I mostly stay on trails.

Derrick White
(miku) - MLife

Locale: Newfoundland & Labrador, Canada
+1 MLD Gaitors on 07/16/2013 10:05:33 MDT Print View

I have the MLD's. I would put them up against any other gaitor for durability\weight. As for having to remove boots to put them on, I don't see this as an issue. How often do you need to take them off during a hike?

Derrick

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
MLD eVent shorties on 07/16/2013 12:33:04 MDT Print View

C'mon guys, REALLY, how much does two 4" strips of Velcro per gaiter weigh?

Again, MLD gaiters are "Gram wise and ergoniomically foolish." (I love to quote myself.)

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: MLD eVent shorties on 07/16/2013 13:02:11 MDT Print View

"Again, MLD gaiters are "Gram wise and ergoniomically foolish." (I love to quote myself.)"

Do you actually say 'ergoniomically", or do you say it correctly? Just curious.

I also completely disagree. Of course, I wear my MLD gaiters, the tall ones, not the short ones, all day while hiking, so they work very well for me.

So "again, nyah nyah nyah." (I also love to quote myself.....)

jeffrey armbruster
(book) - M

Locale: Northern California
"Options for lightweight, calf-length gaiters?" on 07/16/2013 13:26:43 MDT Print View

Yep the mld gaiters--I have the calf length style--are ridiculously light and effective.
Put them on in the morning and go. However: I do tend to fiddle with my boot laces until I get them just right after walking a bit. It's a hassle with these gaiters. In fact with any gaiter, even those with velcro openings. More so with these. Enough so that I would vote for mld to offer these gaiters with a velcro option.

Edited by book on 07/16/2013 16:49:28 MDT.