Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » Custom G4

Display Avatars Sort By:
Kevin Stephens
(KyKevin) - F

Locale: Land of Arches
Custom G4 on 05/31/2007 06:18:26 MDT Print View

I am almost done with my new custom pack. I used the G4 for a rough model but made alot of changes. I did not like the look of the mesh pockets, so I installed nylon pockets and 2 insulated water bottle holsters. I know this add's a few extra ounces but the little bit of added weight was well worth it to me.

Sam Haraldson
(sharalds) - MLife

Locale: Gallatin Range
Custom G4 on 05/31/2007 10:04:35 MDT Print View

It seems like it's been awhile since anyone has posted in regards to custom packs. I look forward to seeing some photos.

In terms of added weight of nylon over mesh - weight comes second to function in my opinion. Not to mention that much of the heavy-duty mesh fabric can actually be heavier than lightweight nylon. I would highly suggest putting drain holes in the bottom of the pockets however as the nylon will tend to gather rain, condensation and water dripping from the bottles.

Edited by sharalds on 05/31/2007 10:06:03 MDT.

Benjamin Smith
(bugbomb) - F - M

Locale: South Texas
Re: Custom G4 on 05/31/2007 10:48:22 MDT Print View

I'll kick some pictures of my latest creation up as soon as I have the framesheet worked out.

And I agree on mesh pockets. They don't help me a bit for most of the hiking I do.

Edited by bugbomb on 05/31/2007 10:48:52 MDT.

Kevin Stephens
(KyKevin) - F

Locale: Land of Arches
Finally Done!! on 06/04/2007 13:41:38 MDT Print View

Well, I finally got my pack done last night, and I am VERY PLEASED. I used the G4 pattern for the main pack body, but I added a very large zippered pocket to the back, one mid size pocket with velcro closure flap to the top of each side, and a custom adjustable waterbottle holder with foam insulation to each bottom side. I had an old fanny pack with a nice belt strap assembly I integrated into this project. I did not use the same method for added structure to my pack (sleeping pad) instead I resused a nice molded piece of sturdy foam that was on the back of my fanny pack. The best part was when I showed it to my friends they asked what brand it was and how much it cost........that is the reason we build our own gear....pride.

pics will soon follow//