Forum Index » GEAR » What interesting gear have you found on the trail?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Tanner M
(Tan68)
Re: What interesting gear have you found on the trail? on 07/13/2013 04:41:02 MDT Print View

Well, this has been fun and I have literally laughed aloud.

3 red tent poles. Person came by the next day hunting them.

2 times, small piles of human waste. 1 on the trail, 1 with some little effort to conceal it. Bears don't use tissue...

1 hunting dog that missed the ride home. He staid with us until we had to go home...

Countless piles of stone. Some large some small. All mysterious...

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com
Damn, forgot something! on 07/13/2013 11:07:13 MDT Print View

I was wondering where I'd left all my stone. Thanks Tanner!

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Pack it out! on 07/13/2013 15:24:21 MDT Print View

"I hope I'm not the only one, but I have never left the woods without somebody else's trash in my pack."

You will rarely see me packing out other people's trash.

differential

I did find this, but someone grabbed the gear(s) before I got to it. Too heavy for me to pack out.

magazine

We left this magazine where we found it.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
lots! on 07/13/2013 16:26:33 MDT Print View

Sleeping bag (cheap)
Tents (2 or 3) (cheap)
Packs up trees and contents everywhere (probably lost during flood)
Cigarette lighters (plural)
Sunglasses (plural)
Shoes (usually one at a time)
Trekking pole (Makalu Titanium)
Camera lens covers
Food (including 1 kg block of cheese in good condition)
Fuel bottles
Ancient rifle (not historic, just rather old)
Ancient ammo for rifle
Ancient saddlery - possibly even 'historic'
Ancient waterbottle - probably historic
Ancient cannon - definitely historic
Ancient gold stamping battery, definitely historic
Antique cars, rusting
Remains of (many) pot (grass) plantations, with tools, pots, chicken wire etc etc

I could go on ...

Cheers

Edited by rcaffin on 07/14/2013 01:40:35 MDT.

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com
Love your Mother on 07/13/2013 21:59:51 MDT Print View

I encourage everyone to pack out other people's trash, when reasonable.

Leaving it better than you found it is a courtesy that more than makes up for the disregard of others, and seeing a pristine wilderness might keep would-be litterbugs from justifying their actions.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Love your Mother on 07/13/2013 22:30:55 MDT Print View

"I encourage everyone to pack out other people's trash, when reasonable."

When contradictions exist, check your premise.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: Re: Love your Mother on 07/13/2013 22:53:35 MDT Print View

Max,

I'm with you on this topic. I guess I've been a professional babysitter for enough years and have been on enough police calls in the military that it doesn't bother me to pack out the occasional water bottle or whatever.

That is with the exception of this "artifact" that I found in the Juniper Dunes Wilderness. I figure he's been sitting there since the '70s or early '80s without hurting anyone so I left him alone.

.Pepsi

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Locale: North Woods. Far North.
Re: Love your Mother on 07/13/2013 23:52:28 MDT Print View

+1, Max.

Personally, when I've hiked 20 miles without seeing any trash and then there is a piece, (1) it typically is a little scrap that most likely got dropped accidentally as someone pulled out a bandana or some such, and (2) it is jarring enough to see it and more upsetting to know if it remained there after I passed. Sure, it "belongs" in someone else's pocket. But I'd rather it was in my pocket than on the trail.

We are social creatures. Most people comply with most societal norms. If the norm (as evidenced along the trail) is "some people litter" then lo and behold, some people will litter. Whereas in places where "essentially no one litters", then almost no one litters. So I skew the results. I try to make hikers, collectively, look better than they actually are. A small fraction of people doing a little more than their share can change the mindset of the masses. I've seen behaviors improve over the decades (not perfect, but improved) about litter, cutting live trees, fire circles, not cutting switchbacks, etc despite there being many more people on the trail now.

Marko Botsaris
(millonas) - F - MLife

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
Re: Re: Re: Love your Mother on 07/13/2013 23:58:58 MDT Print View

Ian, at what point does an old pepsi can turn from garbage to a relic of archaeological significance that needs to be left in situ so that future generations will be able to study them?

Given enough time even the contents of feces can become an object for study by the professional archaeologist, but I'm not sure where the demarcation point is for a can.

Edited by millonas on 07/14/2013 00:01:44 MDT.

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
Massive amounts of trash, on 07/14/2013 00:00:02 MDT Print View

I've been to a couple places where I could not pack out the trash. I would need a pack animal to pack out the trash, and even then it might be a couple trips. It's really depressing.
Maybe I should burn it all? It would be better than just leaving it there.

Yes, I've left a few items in the wilderness. A couple water bottles, a pair of synthetic socks, a few tent stakes. I do feel bad about that.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
Re: Re: What interesting gear have you found on the trail? on 07/14/2013 00:10:21 MDT Print View

10" cast iron skillet, if you consider that "gear".

Fortunately, a USFS ranger out on a really long day packed it back out.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Love your Mother on 07/14/2013 00:10:37 MDT Print View

"Ian, at what point does an old pepsi can turn from garbage to a relic of archaeological significance that needs to be left in situ so that future generations will be able to study them?"

If my first reaction is "What kind of a &%#$%^& arsehole would just leave that here?!?" then I pick it up.

If my first reaction is "Holy crap! I was wearing bellbottoms the last time I saw one of those!" then I leave it alone.

Edit: I couldn't remember for sure but per wikipedia, that has been sitting there for at least 33 years. Was it left there by some Palouse farmer? Maybe an unsung hero of the Cold War from Hanford? Kennewick Man's great great great great great great great grandson? Dunno.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beverage_can

Edited by IDBLOOM on 07/14/2013 00:17:22 MDT.

Marko Botsaris
(millonas) - F - MLife

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Love your Mother on 07/14/2013 00:12:39 MDT Print View

I'm not %100 sure how, but I think that logic is a bit like only wanting to save the "cute" animals from extinction ;-).

Edited by millonas on 07/14/2013 00:13:40 MDT.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Love your Mother on 07/14/2013 00:19:22 MDT Print View

"I'm not %100 sure how, but I think that logic is a bit like only wanting to save the "cute" animals from extinction ;-)."

I'm ok with that.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Just remember.... on 07/14/2013 00:22:06 MDT Print View

...every arrowhead you find in the wilderness is the result of someone who wasn't yo diggity down with LNT.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Just remember.... on 07/14/2013 00:26:03 MDT Print View

Cans fro the 70's are a no, but pottery shards from the 1870's is OK? Where is the line? I find condensed milk cans in the middle of the desert. I leave them. Mylar balloons I'll pack out, The can is no threat to anyone.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Just remember.... on 07/14/2013 00:31:06 MDT Print View

If you hike around the Death Valley National Park backcountry a little bit, you will come across some great collector's items in the way of dead automobiles on and off trails. It's fascinating to try to identify the make and model based on a rusted hulk.

--B.G.--

Tanner M
(Tan68)
Re: Re: Just remember.... on 07/14/2013 02:04:01 MDT Print View

The ghost of an AMC Gremlin trying to make it to Disneyland.

Gerry Brucia
(taedawood) - MLife

Locale: Louisiana, USA
What interesting gear have you found on the trail? on 07/14/2013 05:48:11 MDT Print View

Speaking of rubber pole tips? I leave mine on because they tend to leave fewer marks on the trail and are a whole lot quieter than hearing click, click, click as I go down the trail. But I have to confess that I have also lost a couple over the years.

Twice in the last five years I have had my cache of water stolen. I wish people would not steal water unless it was an emergency.

I have not been lucky enough to find anything "good" on the trail that others left behind. I have only found their trash, which really pisses me off!

Fred eric
(Fre49) - MLife

Locale: France, vallée de la Loire
no one on 07/14/2013 07:22:44 MDT Print View

I checked this thread, but seems no one found, my bpl1100 pot with bushbuddy and myog spinntex bag that my wife lost the first day of a 5 day winter hike in the Vercors mountain.