What interesting gear have you found on the trail?
Display Avatars Sort By:
jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Re: What interesting gear have you found on the trail? on 07/12/2013 12:22:51 MDT Print View

I've seen a bunch of gear a number of times - tent, sleeping bag, a few other items, fairly low quality, laying on the ground. I just leave it because it's too heavy to carry out.

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Locale: North Woods. Far North.
Re: Re: Re: What interesting gear have you found on the trail? on 07/12/2013 12:47:36 MDT Print View

Yeah, flannel-lined, polyester-filled sleeping bags are the most common, large item left behind. Depending on the setting, I suspect teen-aged lovers or someone who wasn't going to camp again and didn't want to carry it back.

Glass bottles. When left in a USFS cabin, I imagine someone rationalized it as, "Someone could use it as a drinking cup or candle holder." But really, it was heavy trash they left behind.

Hunting camps will get things brought in but not out over the years. Some woodcraft stuff - tables and chairs from saplings, some thing flown or hiked in. There does seem be enough "pride of ownership" that they don't leave trash. And in bear country, they don't leave food waste.

A lot of things I'll carry out. Especially if it's my last day out.

Edited to add: walking my beach there is lots of sport and commercial fishing gear. My best finds were a Casio dual-time-zone, analog/digital wristwatch. And a Leatherman in good shape. On another beach, we found an upper-end halibut rod. In Prince William Sound we found a fiberglass kayaking paddle. We returned it to the kayak rental company who said the last renter would be happy to have the $200 charge reversed.

Edited by DavidinKenai on 07/12/2013 12:54:57 MDT.

Steve B
(geokite) - F

Locale: Southern California
Similar on 07/12/2013 13:04:54 MDT Print View

Rubber pole tips.

Titanium spoon, at Guitar lake. Feels better than most, it has a place in my pack now.

Full mountain biking gloves. They go in my kite buggy bag now.

Steve

Zach Waller
(Zach156)
** on 07/12/2013 13:34:32 MDT Print View

....found more trash than anything, and discarded clothing. But one time while setting up camp in what i thought was a scarcely traveled area i look down and see something shiny in the dirt below my hammock. Reached down and pulled it out and it was a mens gold wedding band. The most odd part about it was i wasn't at a campsite. I had just tied up between two trees a good bit off the trail and had to be atleast 10 miles or more from the trailhead. Made me wonder how it got there/how old it was all night...

Rusty Beaver
(rustyb) - F

Locale: Rocky Mountains
Re: What interesting gear have you found on the trail? on 07/12/2013 13:48:38 MDT Print View

Speaking of which, if someone found a faded green "John Deer" hat between Redfish Lake and Flatrock Crossing, I'd love to get it back. Was trying out my new pack last year and not being used to it, forgot to buckle one of the buckles that was holding my hat in place. It's only a hat, yes....but it's a bit sentimental to me.

A long shot, I know....but thought I'd throw it out there. Anyone?

Jeffrey McConnell
(Catalyst) - F
Re: Cuben duomid on 07/12/2013 13:53:43 MDT Print View

"You took it? How could you know it was forgotten? A pitched cuben shelter was unlikely to be forgotten. If you are not joking and trying to bait a reaction here you have questionable ethics in my book."

Come on now...sarcasm - hence the emoticon. I would hope no one on this forum would steal someone's gear. Besides, if someone lost a cuben duomid I'm sure the entire forum would know about it. :)

Edited by Catalyst on 07/12/2013 14:02:11 MDT.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: What interesting gear have you found on the trail? on 07/12/2013 13:59:50 MDT Print View

Innumerable plastic bags of dog poo left on the side of the trail. I'd rather they flipped it into the bushes with a stick than render it a permanent part of the trail side. My dog has his own pack to avoid such things. He makes a good trash hauler with that rig.

Toby with luggage

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: Re: What interesting gear have you found on the trail? on 07/12/2013 14:02:04 MDT Print View

What a beautiful dog!

What breed?

James DeGraaf
(jdegraaf) - MLife

Locale: Bay Area
Re: Re: What interesting gear have you found on the trail? on 07/12/2013 14:20:59 MDT Print View

On a day hike with the family, my daughter in a child carrier, dropped her ruffed monkey without us knowing. We didn't realize did we had everyone back in the car. I was about to go hike the whole 7 miles again to look for it (yeah it's that important) but found resting on a fence post near the trail head, much to the relief of my daughter , and wife! Thanks to whoever found it and brought it back!

Thaddaeus Wharton
(Thadjw) - MLife
Re: lost ring on 07/12/2013 15:08:00 MDT Print View

If it was in large cavern by a pool... Mine

Scott Bentz
(scottbentz) - MLife

Found on Trail on 07/12/2013 15:31:24 MDT Print View

Hiking in the desert I found a whole bunch of water stashed under a bush. I drank it all and left the empties behind...

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Re: Found on Trail on 07/12/2013 15:34:43 MDT Print View

Scott,

I hope it was not so somomes stash.

Richard Fischel
(RICKO) - F
and every once in a while you read a post on 07/12/2013 15:40:05 MDT Print View

like this

http://cascadeclimbers.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1025389/Found_skis_Mt_Rainier_near_Cam#Post1025389

in a lost-and-found section.

Hiking Malto
(gg-man) - F
AT in the spring on 07/12/2013 16:16:07 MDT Print View

If collecting gear is your thing then hike the AT approach trail in the spring during peak thru season. I have found tents, cook sets, bear canisters, axes, food bags, sleeping bag and countless articles of clothes plus hordes of smaller items. Local Boy Scout tripos could be completely geared up if they hiked that trail on a regular basis.

Charles G.
(Rincon) - M

Locale: Desert Southwest
What interesting gear have you found on the trail? on 07/12/2013 18:23:42 MDT Print View

A case of gelatin dynamite, 200' of primer cord, 24 blasting caps and 50' of 1 ft/min fuse. I'm not sure this counts as gear but it does count as a find. BTW, I left it where it was and reported it to the USFS. A trail crew had left it there by mistake. I wouldn't have wanted to be the crew foreman on Monday.

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Locale: North Woods. Far North.
Re: Re: Found on Trail on 07/12/2013 18:33:59 MDT Print View

>"I hope it was not someone's stash."

I had a regular route with the dog and I'd leave a gallon jug of water and a water dish tucked under a tree to give her a drink mid-hike (there was road access to the mid-way point).

I'll cache food and drink in advance of a very long (40-60 mile) day hike. It wouldn't be a survival situation if someone took it, but it would bum me out to do 10 miles without the food and water I'd planned on.

In a SW desert, taking a few gallons of water from someone's cache of water could result in a few dead undocumented immigrants.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Found on Trail on 07/12/2013 19:05:26 MDT Print View

Sarcasm. It's hard for some to fathom.

Found $2 today in the woods with the dog.

A liter Nalgene bottle filled to the very brim with some excellent tequila. Found amongst a bear ravaged campsite on the Lost Coast. Improper food storage. 1 Lara Bar also there untouched.

Jennifer Mitol
(Jenmitol) - M

Locale: In my dreams....
Re: Re: Found on Trail on 07/12/2013 19:42:26 MDT Print View

CharlieDog found a yellow tennis ball at a totally off-trail lake in the Winds. He was thrilled.

Gerald L
(Mtngeronimo) - F

Locale: SoCal
Found on Trail on 07/12/2013 22:01:21 MDT Print View

Garcia Bear Canister on JMT. First thought was some unwitting traveller dropped his food. Further inspection of the water logged contents revealed the ugly truth. Misc. trash including a pair of soiled tighty whities and possibly the remains of a WAG bag. Though tempting to score on a canister, I could never bring myself to store and eat from the soiled container as such would be a constant reminder at mealtime.

Edited by Mtngeronimo on 07/12/2013 22:02:04 MDT.

Don Amundson
(amrowinc) - M

Trail Finds on 07/12/2013 23:47:16 MDT Print View

I found a hat once on the trail. It took me awhile to realize it was mine. I'd lost it the year before.
I have a theory that if you look hard enough you'll find a tent stake at every camp and I've found some and lost some.
I really feel guilty on the trail when I realize I dropped something out of my pocket, mostly trash. I double up on my trash pickup on the way out when that happens.
And by the way, if anyone found a long handle titanium spoon about halfway between Muir Pass and Le Conte canyon a few years back just keep it. I learned to carve spoons out of sticks and ended up switching to plastic spoons as a result of that loss. I haven't lost a spoon since.
Over the years I've continued to renew my rights to my trail name.

Still Lookin'