I've been thinking about all the various interesting gear that I found abandoned on trails, and thought to share my finds. May be you can also share your story of interesting equipment.
1) Lately I have been finding a lot of those rubber caps that go on the hiking pole tips. I think people don't realize they are supposed to take them off, and they fall on the trail, or perhaps they are littering. I take them home and cap my extra spare poles.
2) One time I found some expensive looking Gucci women's sunglasses in the middle of the trail. So I picked them up and put them in a visible spot on a big boulder. On my way down from the mountain, I see this old lady hiking up with... her new pair of Gucci glasses. She was happy 8-D
3) In Malibu years ago, we got off trail, cut bush, then found a giant US flag in good condition. My guess is strong wind blew it over. I packed it in, brought it home and cleaned it.
4) A fisherman's hat with the fish hooks on the sand in the middle of the JT desert.
5) Came down from a punishing San G mountain day hike. I was the last car in the parking lot. Found a pair of expensive (at the time) Germany Leki Super Makalu Anti-Shock Trekking Poles with German writing. They were sold in the German market. I suspect a tourist finished late in the dark also, forgot the poles while getting unpacked, and left.
6) then there are the assortment of baseball caps, and children's gloves.
7) another time in Big B camping with the scouts, found some high caliber rounds.
8) Years ago, a friend had this amazing luck of finding money on the trail, or even scuba diving.
What objects or gear have you found on the trail that was of curious interest?