Forum Index » GEAR » What interesting gear have you found on the trail?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Roger Dodger
(RogerDodger) - F

Locale: Wess Siide
What interesting gear have you found on the trail? on 07/12/2013 05:23:33 MDT Print View

I've been thinking about all the various interesting gear that I found abandoned on trails, and thought to share my finds. May be you can also share your story of interesting equipment.

1) Lately I have been finding a lot of those rubber caps that go on the hiking pole tips. I think people don't realize they are supposed to take them off, and they fall on the trail, or perhaps they are littering. I take them home and cap my extra spare poles.

2) One time I found some expensive looking Gucci women's sunglasses in the middle of the trail. So I picked them up and put them in a visible spot on a big boulder. On my way down from the mountain, I see this old lady hiking up with... her new pair of Gucci glasses. She was happy 8-D

3) In Malibu years ago, we got off trail, cut bush, then found a giant US flag in good condition. My guess is strong wind blew it over. I packed it in, brought it home and cleaned it.

4) A fisherman's hat with the fish hooks on the sand in the middle of the JT desert.

5) Came down from a punishing San G mountain day hike. I was the last car in the parking lot. Found a pair of expensive (at the time) Germany Leki Super Makalu Anti-Shock Trekking Poles with German writing. They were sold in the German market. I suspect a tourist finished late in the dark also, forgot the poles while getting unpacked, and left.

6) then there are the assortment of baseball caps, and children's gloves.

7) another time in Big B camping with the scouts, found some high caliber rounds.

8) Years ago, a friend had this amazing luck of finding money on the trail, or even scuba diving.

Your turn.

What objects or gear have you found on the trail that was of curious interest?

Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Locale: Bristol,RI
Re: What interesting gear have you found on the trail? on 07/12/2013 08:46:26 MDT Print View

Found a Columbia nylon hat on the LT last year.. cleaned it up.. quite comfy. Also found a pair of cheap flip flops and since i didn't have any camp shoes they came with me the rest of the way.

I've found a bunch of mini baskets for trekking poles.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Re: Re: What interesting gear have you found on the trail? on 07/12/2013 09:10:44 MDT Print View

a tent, ice axe, random single gloves.

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com
Road Presents on 07/12/2013 09:51:59 MDT Print View

Not a backpacking story, but on our 2012 bike trip, myself and two friends had to replace a tube on my buddy's univega four times. Doing so stripped our wrench terribly. We were worried we wouldn't e able to fix it a fifth time.

Then, we found a brand new Mini Craftsman monkey wrench on the side of the road. Worked for the rest of the tour!

I also found a sweet L.L. Bean ranger hat.

James DeGraaf
(jdegraaf) - MLife

Locale: Bay Area
Re: What interesting gear have you found on the trail? on 07/12/2013 10:07:19 MDT Print View

Went on a trip with my younger brother in law. It was colder than expected the first night. The second night we were expecting the same. While we gathered wood for a fire we found a heavy synthetic L.L. Bean sleeping bag and a couple of bags of Ramen. We unzipped the found bag, shared it as an overbag and ate hot Ramen. We hiked out the next day and brought the "new" bag with us.
-James

robert mckay
(rahstin) - F

Locale: The Great Land
Stuff on 07/12/2013 10:08:22 MDT Print View

Too many broken water bottles. Too much trash :( My friends found a titanium .44 mag hiking outside of Fairbanks. Checked it out with the cops, now they are the proud owners.

Billy Ray
(rosyfinch) - M

Locale: the mountains
leave it on 07/12/2013 10:21:10 MDT Print View

I have found a ton of things over the years.

But I leave it where it is... in case the owner returns looking for it...

b

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Re: leave it on 07/12/2013 10:25:38 MDT Print View

me too.

Jeff M.
(Catalyst)

Locale: Costa Mesa, CA
Cuben on 07/12/2013 10:32:20 MDT Print View

Besides the random water bottle or bear canister one time I found a cuben duomid...just sitting there pitched...so I took it. I figured carrying the extra weight the rest of the trip would be worth it. ;)

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Pack it out! on 07/12/2013 10:41:40 MDT Print View

I hope I'm not the only one, but I have never left the woods without somebody else's trash in my pack.

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Re: Cuben on 07/12/2013 10:42:25 MDT Print View

HA! Any BPL members lose a DuoMid when they went peak-bagging?

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: What interesting gear have you found on the trail? on 07/12/2013 10:45:49 MDT Print View

1. Lots of rubber caps for trekking poles.
2. Lots of lens caps for cameras. Mostly Nikon, oddly enough. Mostly small ones.
3. Coins. I generally score about 25 cents per day.
4. Ballpoint pens.
5. Bandanas. I could go online with a used bandana store.

--B.G.--

Angus A.
(mangus7175) - F

Locale: http://theshadedtrail.blogspot.com
Re: Cuben on 07/12/2013 10:50:38 MDT Print View

WOW a cuben duomid? I hope that was really something that was left behind. I would hate to be that guy coming back to my camp to find out my $H17 was $%#&@ with.

Wish I was as lucky to find something like that...only things I've found were bandanas, hats, glasses, etc. nothing major.

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Nikon on 07/12/2013 11:01:06 MDT Print View

Bob,

I've lost two Nikon lens caps.

-M

Mike W
(skopeo) - F

Locale: British Columbia
What interesting gear have you found on the trail? on 07/12/2013 11:19:20 MDT Print View

I was day hiking a fishing trail and came across a couple of young guys that had backpacked in and set up camp right on one of my favorite fishing spots. I stopped and chatted with them for a few minutes and they were planning an extended stay. When I returned a week later, their camp had been washed out by a flash flood (I knew they had set up in a poor spot but figured they knew what they were doing... apparently not). I figured they must have abandoned their stuff in the middle of the night because the entire camp was still there, soaking wet tent, sleeping bags, fishing rods etc.). I left everything as it was, thinking they would return to claim their gear. I returned a couple of times over the next month and scavengers and the river took care of the gear.

On the flip side, I was on a backpacking trip with my kids when they were young teens and we had an apparent communication problem. I thought my son had gone and grabbed the bear bag but apparently he thought I had gotten it. We had left my bear bag up a pole and since we hiked out in one day, we didn't notice it was missing until we got home (600 miles away). I lost my stove, a gas can, my pot and some food utensils (as well as the bag). I always imagined it hanging there until the fall when nobody was around and a ranger would retrieve it.

Edited by skopeo on 07/12/2013 11:20:05 MDT.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Nikon on 07/12/2013 11:21:37 MDT Print View

I lost a Nikon. Or was it some other brand, I forget.

If anyone found it would you please send it back to me? : )

Elliott Wolin
(ewolin) - MLife

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia
RE: What interesting gear have you found on the trail on 07/12/2013 11:33:32 MDT Print View

Snotty industrial-strength handkerchief/bandanna. To my wife's horror I washed it and now use it.

Baby's bib, to my kid's delight I wore it down the trail, then tied it to a post at the trailhead.

Assorted fishing lures, often in trees near a river or lake.

30 feet nylon parachute cord.

Many tent stakes from many sites.

I generally carry out any garbage I come across.

I left food hanging once, discovered it at the trailhead, always wondered what happened to it.

Many years ago some friends had their off-trail campsite raided while bagging a peak, they lost everything of value.

M G
(drown) - F - MLife

Locale: Shenandoah
Cuben duomid on 07/12/2013 11:38:30 MDT Print View

You took it? How could you know it was forgotten? A pitched cuben shelter was unlikely to be forgotten. If you are not joking and trying to bait a reaction here you have questionable ethics in my book.

Jim W.
(jimqpublic) - MLife

Locale: So-Cal
Re: What interesting gear have you found on the trail? on 07/12/2013 11:49:33 MDT Print View

Found a campsite with cheap tent, sleeping bags, and rotting food and package scraps in Yosemite near Cloud's Rest in the springtime, looking like it had overwintered. We were on the way in for a week so I just left it. All I could guess was that the owners got hit by a fall storm and left the tent and bags to let them travel light.

Couldn't find my Timex Indiglo watch packing at home in California. Then on the trip, my wife fell partly down a cliff on the West Coast Trail in Canada. Luckily a branch caught between her back and pack stopping her. During the fall, as she was grabbing at brush she managed to grab a... Timex Indiglo watch matching mine.

Forgot to pack my water bottle when heading for Mt. Whitney this spring. Planned to dig in the trash for a used soda bottle, but found a bike bottle in the parking lot. Then saw the same Nalgene going up, and back down the trail two days later so I snagged that.

Lost 2 pair of gloves in different parking lots two winters ago, but found two pair of gloves under chairlifts when skiing the same year.

Just call me even steven.

kevin timm
(ktimm) - M

Locale: Colorado (SeekOutside)
Garmin Rhino on 07/12/2013 11:51:15 MDT Print View

THat wintered at 13000 feet and still worked