Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Tips for trash bag rain skirt
Display Avatars Sort By:
Stephen Parks
(sdparks) - M

Locale: Southwest
Tips for trash bag rain skirt on 07/11/2013 18:59:11 MDT Print View

So I've spent enough money on gear recently, and figured I'd just rely on a trash bag rain skirt to keep my lower body dry if needed this summer. I started with cutting up a compactor bag, punched some holes along the top for a shock cord "belt", and then realized I had made something that looked a lot like a trash bag with a built-in draw string. So next I just cut the bottom out of a tall kitchen bag. This is large enough for me to step into, is easy to tighten at the waist, and weighs just .75oz. It comes down to just below my knees, which I suppose is low enough as long as it won't be too cold. The main problem I can see is that when I try to take a large step up, the bottom opening is a little too tight and restricts my stride a bit. If I fold the bottom up to just above my knee, then it will ride up when I take such a step and so doesn't interfere with my stride.

How long and what bottom circumference do you like to use? I could use a larger bag and get more coverage, but I am tempted by the small pack size and low weight of the tall kitchen bag. Any other hints? I don't think I'll have any chance to test the bag locally before going on a trip in the PNW at the end of the month. Thanks!

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Locale: North Woods. Far North.
Trash bag rain skirt mods on 07/11/2013 21:32:32 MDT Print View

Ah, but does it "make your butt look big"?

To take another idea from women's fashion: From the lower hem to a bit above your knees, cut a slit in each side. Terminate the slit in a patch of duct tape (like 1" x 1") to reinforce that spot. It will allow a much greater stride while reducing the rain shedding very little.

My next lesson will be how to sew darts into your tight shirts to accommodate your massive pecs.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Trash bag rain skirt mods on 07/11/2013 21:35:50 MDT Print View

No white after Labor Day. Black for evenings. Most manly, Hefty Force Flex bags.

Kevin Schneringer
(Slammer) - MLife

Locale: Oklahoma Flat Lands
RE:Tips for trash bag rain skir on 07/11/2013 22:08:51 MDT Print View

"but I am tempted by the small pack size and low weight of the tall kitchen bag"

That just hit me as funny! tempted by a trash bag...
Well you must have drank an extra tall UL kool-aid.

My problem is while the trash bag works. My wife would wonder why everything else costs so much. I have to keep up appearances!

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Trash bag rain skirt mods on 07/11/2013 22:51:21 MDT Print View

hmmm

David is also an expert in women's fashion...

Stephen Parks
(sdparks) - M

Re: Trash bag rain skirt mods on 07/12/2013 10:18:35 MDT Print View

I'm 5'10" and 135 lbs, nothing is going to make my butt look big. Pecs? Ha-ha, I wish.

Edited by sdparks on 07/12/2013 10:20:00 MDT.

Stephen Parks
(sdparks) - M

Re: Trash bag rain skirt mods on 07/15/2013 19:13:09 MDT Print View

"From the lower hem to a bit above your knees, cut a slit in each side. Terminate the slit in a patch of duct tape (like 1" x 1") to reinforce that spot. It will allow a much greater stride while reducing the rain shedding very little."

This helped quite a bit. I used clear packing tape instead of duct tape because it is lighter and to not ruin the clean lines and monochromatic smartness of the garment. I reinforced some other high stress points while I was at it, and added only .03 oz of weight.

The slits do help with the stride. Stair steps one at a time are no problem. Two at a time, my stride is no longer impeded, but the hem does ride up, exposing my knee, and the hem doesn't fall back down without some help. I think the only cure for that would be a longer bag. Maybe I'll try a little longer slit. Still, not bad.

Edited by sdparks on 07/15/2013 19:14:18 MDT.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Re: Trash bag rain skirt mods on 07/15/2013 19:26:39 MDT Print View

"but the hem does ride up, exposing my knee"

You can continue that until bystanders begin to whistle.

--B.G.--

george carr
(hammer-one) - F

Locale: Walking With The Son
RE:Tips for trash bag rain skirt on 07/20/2013 11:19:11 MDT Print View

"but the hem does ride up, exposing my knee"

You can continue that until bystanders begin to whistle.

--B.G.--

Poking out my minds eye with an imaginary ice pick.......

Gerald L
(Mtngeronimo) - F

Locale: SoCal
Re: Tips for trash bag rain skirt on 07/21/2013 14:21:29 MDT Print View

It may be better to refer to this design as 'Polyethylene Precipitate Protective Gear with Bilateral Articulating Joints'. Just sayin' ;)

Stephen Parks
(sdparks) - M

Re: Tips for trash bag rain skirt on 07/21/2013 18:28:39 MDT Print View

Guys, enough with the trash talk. Ba-dum-bum.

The trash bag seemed to be functional but looked just a little too umm, trashy, so I'm making one out of clear window shrink film. Now I won't have to high step to tease with the knees - they'll be on display all the time. Oh yeah.

Stephen Parks
(sdparks) - M

Polycryo rain skirt on 07/24/2013 21:03:59 MDT Print View

I just finished my polycryo rainskirt. With Velcro closures and snack size ziploc "stuff sack" it weighs .97oz.

The material is very slick and I dont know what the effect will be on how my pack belt stays in place. Also I don't know if the Velcro will maintain its grip when wet. It is less shameful than the garbage bag, at least.

Daniel Pittman
(pitsy) - M

Locale: Central Texas
Re: Re: Trash bag rain skirt mods on 07/24/2013 22:39:59 MDT Print View

Dude's built like me! Whatever you do, don't use a black bag. Black is way too slimming.

5'10" 135 lbs represent!