Forum Index » Chaff » what to do when encountering fun on the trail

Display Avatars Sort By:
spelt !
(spelt) - F

Locale: SW/C PA
what to do when encountering fun on the trail on 07/11/2013 07:15:46 MDT Print View

Ok, maybe you don't like fun. Why do I have to give up MY hiking experience to save you the 90 seconds out of your whole hike you see me having fun because you don't like fun in the wilderness?

Yes, I agree that I having fun is a big responsibility and it's one I take very seriously. Am I perfect? Of course not. But I just can't get over the nastiness some people have over seeing me have fun on the trail.

It's an embodied experience. Like frustration or fatigue, the pang of fear, the stab of hunger....how is an unpleasant experience with fun any different from that? Because I brought it there?

I don't like mountain bikes, but hey, on trails where they are allowed? oh well. Horses? Same thing. How about large groups? Or as Tipi said, the sound of helicopters, or nearby roads, or motor boats, or planes..........I guess I don't understand how the purity of YOUR wilderness experience trumps mine.....

Ok. I'm done.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Re: what to do when encountering fun on the trail on 07/11/2013 07:50:48 MDT Print View

But, wait....shouldn't you be suffering and feeling guilty or at least fearful on the trail? I don't think you are taking this seriously enough. And then you laugh too? It I don't want to hear anyone while I am out in nature. Regulate fun. Wait we already do.
I say we look at all the threads that started like this one, but change the title to" when encountering ...( dogs, guns, drunks!!, nuns and fun) on the net! Because that is more the case.
;)