Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
A LIST: "Most windstorm worthy, double wall, 2 person, trekking pole shelters under 2kg"
Display Avatars Sort By:
Peter S (masc. ├╝ber linear logical club)
(prse) - MLife

Locale: Denmark
Keep it simple on 07/11/2013 21:06:57 MDT Print View

Hi Guys

I'm sitting here laughing at my attempt to make a very streamlined thread :-) - "it's like boys with toys" (from "Goldeneye")

@ Roger, Let's stick to my original criterias, and we can discuss ideology in another thread, but thank you for your concern, it's a legit question, that i'm very much aware of. Just look at this as a simple BPL brain pool study on a narrow subject.
The Caffin tent is not available. Roger, i believe you are a master at the teasing game!

@ Stephen, the Unna falls short on several of my criteria.

@ Bradford, Thank you, you are the first who dares to make a list!

NOW, go on and make your (subjective) lists!

Edit: Spelling...thanks Franco! - english is not my first language, so i'm excused... ;-)

Edited by prse on 07/11/2013 22:54:48 MDT.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
A LIST... on 07/11/2013 22:20:33 MDT Print View

Criteria

criterion, criteria.
Yes, it is Greek to me too.

kevin timm
(ktimm) - M

Locale: Colorado (SeekOutside)
A lot of shelters on 07/12/2013 12:03:15 MDT Print View

It seems at 4.4 lbs there are a lot of choices. Our Backcountry Shelter 1 with our 3 side DWR nest is less than that and I've been in 60 MPH winds with it. The Lil Bug Out Tent with a 3 piece vestibule, which is a nearly identical design to the BCS 1 but lower in profile and a little more "tipi" like should fit in that weight as well. The shelter is 25 - 26 ounces, the nest with a 2 -3 k mm sil floor and 3 sides DWR is 21. It requires 6 stakes and a trekking pole extender is just over an ounce while the robust CF pole with 3 inches of adjustment is 6.5 ounces. You can use up to 12 stakes if you like since there are numerous guy out points for maximizing space and anchoring in severe weather.

One word of caution, often it seems at least with larger tents that the stake integrity starts to get compromised at 60 MPH in standard soils using standard stakes. The smaller shelters do better, but an inner nest can accelerate stake out compromise since the floor can get caught by the wind, and the constant stress will slowly pull the stakes up. If you are in the nest, this is less of an issue. It can be mitigated by using more robust stakes at the Nest / Shelter connection or using separate stakes for the nest so the shelter always maintains integrity.

BJ Clark
(bj.clark) - MLife

Locale: Colorado
Re: A LIST: "Most windstorm worthy, double wall, 2 person, trekking pole shelters under 2kg" on 07/12/2013 15:33:51 MDT Print View

Yama Mountain Terraform 2 w/ inner nest. 40 mph with no flutter. Gusts to 50 mph were no problem. My setup is 38.5 oz. plus trekking poles. Tight for two but a great setup.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: A lot of shelters on 07/12/2013 15:45:51 MDT Print View

> stake integrity starts to get compromised at 60 MPH in standard soils using standard stakes.

A very good observation!
Too many stakes are short - some under 150 mm (6"). That length will not hold in a strong wind. For the ends of my tunnels I use longer stakes - between 180 and 200 mm (7"-8"), and I do not regret the extra weight.

Cheers