Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Trader Joe's Dried Kimchi
Display Avatars Sort By:
Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Trader Joe's Dried Kimchi on 07/10/2013 14:20:07 MDT Print View

If you don't already know about this, you should.

Used it on my last Sierra trip and fell in love.
1 package kimchi mixed with 1.5 bricks of ramen yields a noodle house sized bowl of spicy goodness. Ramen flavor packet not necessary; the kimchi has enough flavor on its own.

David W.
(Davidpcvsamoa) - MLife

Locale: East Bay, CA
Noodles on 07/10/2013 15:08:45 MDT Print View

My idea of "fusion tacos" with this product, tortillas and tuna may have been to ambitious. I was disappointed with the results. Maybe if I had rehydrated the kimchi for the tacos it would have turned out better. Your bowl of noodles sounds like a good bet.

James Castleberry
(Winterland76)
Great find! on 07/10/2013 15:11:29 MDT Print View

Thanks Craig. That's a good one.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Trader Joe's Dried Kimchi on 07/10/2013 17:28:36 MDT Print View

Craig, I think the hint on Kimchi is good for most folks, but not for those who have lived for a year in South Korea and had to endure the odor. We learned to hate the Kimchi odor more than North Korea.

Otherwise, it is an interesting food choice.

--B.G.--

Matthew Black
(mtblack) - F
Re: Trader Joe's Dried Kimchi on 07/10/2013 17:33:39 MDT Print View

Thanks for the post. I love kimchee and was skeptical enough that I didn't try it after after seeing it at TJ's. It's definitely going on my next trip.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: Re: Trader Joe's Dried Kimchi on 07/10/2013 18:56:28 MDT Print View

That's too bad Bob...I can't get enough of it.

A Korean student of mine was bringing me a container of grandma's homemade kimchi once a week last year.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Re: Re: Trader Joe's Dried Kimchi on 07/10/2013 19:22:56 MDT Print View

Many moons ago I used to get cold chills when I observed Kimchi pots in the village in South Korea. These were the clay pots where the Kimchi fermented (to make it), and the pots were bigger than I was.

I guess it is an acquired taste.

--B.G.--

Matthew Black
(mtblack) - F
Re: Re: Re: Re: Trader Joe's Dried Kimchi on 07/10/2013 19:54:14 MDT Print View

Easily acquired.

Charles P
(mediauras)

Locale: Terra
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Trader Joe's Dried Kimchi on 07/12/2013 23:45:13 MDT Print View

Awesome. I saw this last week at our TJ's (and love kimchi) so bought a packet. Have yet to to try it out tho. TJ also has a dehy seaweed salad that's not bad.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Trader Joe's Dried Kimchi on 07/13/2013 22:18:51 MDT Print View

Good find Craig! I'm now on a mission to find a trail friendly Bulgogi recipe.

Will Webster
(WillWeb) - M
Soup on 01/08/2014 07:57:06 MST Print View

Old thread, but I recently stumbled across this product and I'm trying to figure out what to do with it.

Maybe soup for two using ramen (no flavor pack) + sliced dried beef (the stuff normally served on a shingle with white gravy) + some beef stock concentrate? Can anybody (other than Bob G ;-) ) who is familiar with Korean cooking suggest what else should be added? Or is the kimchi going to overwhelm additions regardless?

I'd probably better try this one at home first just in case...

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Locale: North Woods. Far North.
Re: Soup on 01/08/2014 13:03:40 MST Print View

Will,

Freeze-dried peas and carrots, bacon bits, cut up beef jerky and/ or a dash of fish sauce are readily available store-bought possibilities to add to the soup.