Forum Index » GEAR » Suntactics sCharger-5

Display Avatars Sort By:
Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Re: Re: A review is not a comparison on 07/14/2013 20:38:32 MDT Print View

T125s will give you more bank for your buck :)

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Re: Re: A review is not a comparison on 07/14/2013 20:45:36 MDT Print View

"With backpacking solar systems there is the additional challenge of justifying the additional weight which once again keeps me out of the market."

Then there is the fiddle factor. Nick just doesn't want to have to keep fiddling with all of that stuff, just to keep some electronic device powered up. In general, I don't either, although I have resorted to transporting a big battery brick to keep camera gear powered. However, that was on a trip where the loads were carried by yak, so I didn't have to actually carry it.

--B.G.--

Edited by --B.G.-- on 07/14/2013 20:46:20 MDT.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Re: Re: A review is not a comparison on 07/14/2013 20:49:19 MDT Print View

"The one thing I think is true whether you are talking residential or back country solar is that it's best to reduce & refine the energy demand first and address the supply second."

Hmmm - parallel to backpacking

Better to cut your weight and leave stuff at home before you select a backpack that will carry enough weight

Buck Nelson
(Colter) - MLife

Locale: Alaska
It was Chad's review to write on 07/14/2013 20:50:03 MDT Print View

It's easy to find technical information about this product or most other products on the internet. When I buy a product I am MORE interested in the real-world experience of the end-user with similar needs and conditions than I am about technical details, and I am not alone. There is more than one way to write a useful review.

I'll bet some of the same people who are complaining about Chad's review would have loved a review with every conceivable technical detail without any in-the-field verification that the thing actually works and holds up.

Again, I used this charger for about 6 months last summer on three different trips to keep my iPhone charged and it worked great. A thru-hike, a three week trip on the Yellowstone River, and a Boundary Waters trip. I used my iPhone a lot. If you leave it plugged in in the shade it will drain power. You should have sun and it should be faced square to the sun. If you do it will charge an iPhone swell. If the battery is very low, say around 15%, it will fully charge my iPhone in about two hours. People can judge for themselves how much sun they'll get on their trip.

Chad gave people useful information in good faith. Chad your odds of pleasing the very technical minded are virtually nill. Write to your audience. Write what you know and don't bluff. Hike your own hike. Write your own blog and let others write theirs.

Edited by Colter on 07/14/2013 20:51:27 MDT.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: A review is not a comparison on 07/14/2013 20:54:09 MDT Print View

With my solar system I just check the water level every couple of months. The panels just sit on the roof and keeps every charged up. Out of sight, out of mind. I like solar, in spite of what other may perceive from my earlier posts.

But.. Right now I have no solar. Thieves stole everything two weeks ago.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Re: It was Chad's review to write on 07/14/2013 20:56:55 MDT Print View

Buck,

Agree. Your 3rd paragraph would have satisfied most people.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Re: It was Chad's review to write on 07/14/2013 20:57:50 MDT Print View

So what happens when the panel isn't facing the sun, does charging stop?

It's too bad that it won't just take what power is available, if you're in the shade it just takes longer.

And yeah Buck, Bob must have been taking a meanie pill : )

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: A review is not a comparison on 07/14/2013 21:01:22 MDT Print View

Is insurance going to cover your loss?

Will you end up with a better system if you have to start from scratch? Sometimes when I add onto a system piece by piece it becomes a little kludgy.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Re: Re: It was Chad's review to write on 07/14/2013 21:02:23 MDT Print View

If not in direct orientation to the sun output decreases. That is why I have extra capacity on my camper. They lay flat and are not as efficient in the morning or afternoon. Don't want to bother with a system to tilt or follow the sun. Shade is a killer. On most panels shade on 10% of the panel surface area can reduce output by over 50%.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: A review is not a comparison on 07/14/2013 21:04:25 MDT Print View

Jerry,

Still waiting on the insurance company, but we have comprehensive coverage. It looks like the good hands people have misplaced 9 of their 10 fingers at this point in time.

Chad Webster
(blaktee) - F

Locale: Targhee National Forest
Re: It was Chad's review to write on 07/14/2013 21:10:02 MDT Print View

Thanks Buck, I appreciate the feedback. Tough crowd here. wow!

Its great to know it has worked for you over the long haul. Guys who will still recommend a piece of gear after a thru-hike is the kind of review I am interested in. That is the real test.

Thanks again Buck!

Dave T
(DaveT) - F
so gross. on 07/14/2013 21:10:19 MDT Print View

"Chad gave people useful information in good faith. Chad your odds of pleasing the very technical minded are virtually nill. Write your own blog and let others write theirs."

+1.

(Or NOT write theirs, just criticize others.)

Chad Webster
(blaktee) - F

Re: so gross. on 07/14/2013 21:21:03 MDT Print View

"(Or NOT write theirs, just criticize others.)"

+1

I think it was a little heavy on the criticism.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Suntactics sCharger-5 on 07/14/2013 22:26:21 MDT Print View

Ian that is good advice I hear again and again. Reduce your power needs first. Me, I don't take anything hiking that needs recharging.

Edited by kthompson on 07/14/2013 22:38:17 MDT.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
It was Chad's review to write on 07/14/2013 22:36:18 MDT Print View

FWIW Chad did ask...

"Let me know what you guys think of this???"

Chad Webster
(blaktee) - F

Re: It was Chad's review to write on 07/15/2013 07:50:36 MDT Print View

"Let me know what you guys think of this???"

I did write this comment. I guess I was meaning what do you think about the Suntactics charger, not what everyone thinks about me and/or my level of education.

scree ride
(scree) - M
B&C windpower on 07/15/2013 08:14:40 MDT Print View

Any reviews on the Ben and Cecil power hats?

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

So... on 07/15/2013 08:58:08 MDT Print View

"I guess I was meaning what do you think about the Suntactics charger, not what everyone thinks about me and/or my level of education."

Can you discharge your phone to 0%. Tell what model phone you have and the mAh capacity of the battery.

Now, go out and charge it until it is at 100%. Tell us what time of day you charged it and your location. How long does it take to fully charge the battery.

This will be useful information for those looking to purchase this item.