Forum Index » GEAR » Most storm worthy trekking pole tent?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Most storm worthy trekking pole tent? on 07/10/2013 16:40:19 MDT Print View

A very important aspect,not often discussed, about trekking pole supported tents is one's ability to set them up...
For example ,as Eric has pointed out, that Moment behind the Solomid, could be set up better.
This is how the Pitch Lock corner in that one should look like :
my Moment

I am very impressed by the way Ross did his Vertex
(the Pitch Lock corner is that pyramid shaped end...)

Edited by Franco on 07/10/2013 16:42:59 MDT.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: Most storm worthy trekking pole tent? on 07/10/2013 16:46:38 MDT Print View

When I took the photo the Moment behind my Solomid was in the process of being set up and the Solomid wasn't guyed out yet....

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Most storm worthy trekking pole tent? on 07/10/2013 17:49:48 MDT Print View

Yes you can see that the X pole is still not attached to the fly and the owner appears to be finishing the other end.

I should have made that point a bit clearer..
The point was that I have seen shelters of that type incorrectly set up and looking pretty much like the Moment above .
Then I also see the owners complaining that theirs does not work.

David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

Locale: Crown of the Continent
mids v. tipis on 07/10/2013 18:14:59 MDT Print View

More sides generally means closer to conical, and thus less stuff for wind to grab on to. The tradeoff is setup time. A (essentially) six-sided Trailstar is more fiddly to setup than a conventional mid, the explanation videos for the Kifaru tipis are comically complex in their explication of the setbacks requires for various staking points. Most of us don't need top shelf wind shedding all the time, and thus a square or rectangular mid night be the best choice.

Peter S
(prse) - MLife

Locale: Denmark
Lots of insight on 07/10/2013 18:26:51 MDT Print View

thanks guys, lots of insight.

I'm going to start another parallel thread, with a more focused subject, as i believe this could be a help to me and others. It will center on only lightweight, 2 walls, 2 person worthy, windstorm worthy trekking pole shelters.

But this thread is a good place to continue discussing the finer details.

I'll ad to the discussion here myself:

Anybody have had good experience with a 2 person inner for the trailstar? I'm specifically thinking about the situation where fierce, driving rain changes direction directly toward the opening. I can see this not being a problem when using it as a solo shelter with a bivi bag. Do you just drop the opening?

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Locale: Cascadia
Storm worthy on 07/10/2013 18:30:55 MDT Print View

While both shelters work well, I'd easily grab my DuoMid over my Stratospire 2 if I was expecting rough weather.

Also, in some situations the most storm worthy shelter can be the one you can set up quickest. When a storm rolls in and you need to bail off a ridge and camp, ease of setup can be just as important as theoretical ability. Single pole shelters tend to win this category, with fewer sides being faster than more sides. I'm surprised no one makes a 3 sided pyramid.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Most storm worthy trekking pole tent? on 07/10/2013 18:48:06 MDT Print View

I'm surprised no one makes a 3 sided pyramid
Im not.
It would be very space inefficient.
Put one or two mats on the floor and then build a triangle around it and see what happens.
(don't forget the pole/poles)