Most storm worthy trekking pole tent?
Display Avatars Sort By:
masculine über linear logical club
(prse) - MLife

Locale: Denmark
Most storm worthy trekking pole tent? on 07/10/2013 01:00:41 MDT Print View

My guess would be the Stratospire 1 and 2.

Your opinions?

(I don't own the Stratospire)

Thanks

Thomas Gauperaa
(gauperaa) - F - M

Locale: Norway
Re: Most storm worthy trekking pole tent? on 07/10/2013 01:20:31 MDT Print View

MLD Trailstar (can get inners for it so I guess it can be classified as a tent?)

Jason Elsworth
(jephoto) - M

Locale: New Zealand
Most storm worthy trekking pole tent? on 07/10/2013 02:26:35 MDT Print View

Trailstar, as long as we aren't talking snow storms.

(prse) - MLife

Trailstar on 07/10/2013 04:14:29 MDT Print View

Yes, of course!

Stratospire 2. place, or?

kevin timm
(ktimm) - M

Locale: Colorado (SeekOutside)
Define Storm Worthy on 07/10/2013 06:20:09 MDT Print View

Is storm worthy the ability to repel water, wind or snow, or is it based on construction and materials used ? There are dependencies based on each design. For instance a tent with a long ridge line more like a pup tent, will not repel water as well as a tent with steeper profile like a tipi or mid, but this can be overcome with a fabric with a higher water proof rating. Fabric, materials, and tie out construction all play a part depending on conditions. I think you would be hard pressed to find a better, more storm worthy constructed tie out than what Seek Outside does on our Tipi tents. We have never had a tie out failure, and due to the way they are constructed you can even reset a tie out from inside the tent if needed (in the case a stake looses integrity which can happen in high winds). As far as shape, I think you will be hard pressed to find a more wind worthy single pole shape than a tipi, followed by a mid. High hydrostatic rating and shape help with repelling water, while a tight pitch and numerous guy outs help with wind. Steeper side walls help the most with snow loads, but it is a trade off, with wind.

(prse) - MLife

seek outside on 07/10/2013 07:03:41 MDT Print View

Hi Tim

Thank you for your input.

Let's make it simple and stick to windstorms, and let's leave tieout construction quality out - how would you rate your Tipi's to the Stratospire and the Trailstar in a windstorm?

kevin timm
(ktimm) - M

Wind Rating on 07/10/2013 07:14:51 MDT Print View

Tipi Rating would be extremely good, granted these are larger tents. I have had a 12 man( which is nearly 10 ft tall ) and had trees fall within 50 yards during a wind storm. We had a customer report that a large pine tree fell 5 feet from a 12 man during a fall wind event, thankfully they were fine. We even had one customer report surviving a storm in Alaska in which winds were reported at 100 MPH. I am not sure about the 100 MPH but there were reports of the storm and many people being without tents on an Alaskan forum and a nearby weather station reported 114 MPH winds. Recently, we had a customer who said they set up a smaller tipi (4 man) in the midwest and there were tornado warnings at the lake they were at. Apparently everyone slept in their cars that night, but the only tent left standing in the morning was the tipi. Properly staked, they handle wind well.

(prse) - MLife

Weight on 07/10/2013 07:21:09 MDT Print View

What's the weight on your lightest Tipi?

kevin timm
(ktimm) - M

Weights on 07/10/2013 07:50:04 MDT Print View

A 6 man in the basic version can be less than 5 lbs all inclusive.
A 4 man basic is closer to 4 lbs

The Backcountry shelter which is a mid tipi hybrid is 3 - 3.5 lbs
The Lil Bug shelter which is modular tipi / mid hybrid is about 24 ounces for a fully enclosed shelter and can go up to near 3 lbs for it's largest configuration. It is 16 ounces as a 3 side shelter . There is a spin video on our site that shows all the configurations

kevin timm
(ktimm) - M

Notes on 07/10/2013 07:58:51 MDT Print View

I should note, that I only recommend using a trekking pole in the Lil Bug Out. At the taller heights of the BCS and 4 Man you could link two high quality trekking poles and get decent performance but for real wind, I would use our telescoping carbon poles in the taller tents. You can use the carbon pole of the 4 man or BCS as a hiking staff if need be with an adapter.

Thanks
Kevin

(prse) - MLife

Thank you on 07/10/2013 08:01:29 MDT Print View

Well, since it's the Tipis you rate highest in a storm and weight is a consideration, they are too heavy for my use. But thank you for your input.

kevin timm
(ktimm) - M

Welcome on 07/10/2013 08:13:36 MDT Print View

You are welcome, the BCS and LBO do well in wind, but have some flatter sides which does matter a bit. They feature the same materials and construction.

brent driggers
(cadyak) - MLife

Locale: southwest georgia
stormworthy on 07/10/2013 08:37:06 MDT Print View

Golite SL2 and SL1 are extremely hearty in all conditions

Edited by cadyak on 07/10/2013 13:00:47 MDT.

Nathan Coleman
(RockChucker30) - M
Balance on 07/10/2013 09:14:59 MDT Print View

I think storm worthiness boils down to a combination of materials and shape. Different shapes are better for different conditions. For instance, a very low dome shape would be the best for high winds, but that shape would be terrible for handling snow loads. A vertical wall is preferable for heavy rain and snow, but fails at high winds. I agree with Kevin that for the most part a tipi is a very storm worthy shape.

Materials wise it is a tradeoff between bombproofness and weight, just like anything else. If you want storm worthy, then you must be ready to accept a weight penalty. What denier fabric and what hydrostatic head do golite and tarptent use in their shelters? I dug around on the tarptent site a bit but couldn't find anything.

Edited by RockChucker30 on 07/10/2013 09:19:23 MDT.

David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

Locale: Crown of the Continent
wind worthy trekking poles shelters on 07/10/2013 09:32:56 MDT Print View

If you restrict storm worthiness to high winds, I doubt you'll find anything better than a Trailstar. Mids do pretty well, but the larger surface of each panel lends itself to more deflection. For example, my Megamid probably approaches the Trailstar in wind worthiness, but the Trailstar is a lot (LOT) quieter.

Generally, a one pole shelter will tend to have better angles for wind shedding. Two poles shelter like the Shangrila 2 and Stratospires can do ok, but seem to have at least two angles where wind shedding is quite compromised.

Edited by DaveC on 07/10/2013 18:12:24 MDT.

Colin Krusor
(ckrusor) - M

Locale: Northwest US
Poles on 07/10/2013 11:10:14 MDT Print View

I think David's point about one vs. two pole shelters makes sense. I have used both kinds and I've thought about this tradeoff. In high winds, when you'd want the edges of your shelter pitched low, a single-pole shelter will need a lot of material and a large footprint to provide very much internal space. When pitched low, you'll have much more sit-up-able space in a two-pole shelter of the same weight. But the two pole shelter has large flat panels on two sides, so it only sheds wind really well end-on.

I have to agree with some of the others; I think a small, low tipi (eg, the Trailstar) is the best bet when high winds are expected.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Stormworthy on 07/10/2013 11:53:17 MDT Print View

I've been very impressed with the MLD Solomid.
The two poles in A-frame style provide a ton of support against wind on the larger panels. It's also pretty steep and pitches very taught- sheds rain/snow well.

We got hammered pretty good the night this photo was taken, gusts in the 40mph range and snow. The wind was blowing uphill, the large downhill panel of my shelter taking the brunt of it all.

That it was what Skurka carried in Alaska weighed heavily in my purchase...

Ross L
(Ross) - MLife

Locale: Beautiful BC
Re: Stormworthy on 07/10/2013 12:27:41 MDT Print View

V5The Tigoat Vertex 5 is also worthy of consideration. Conical shape makes it very wind resistant and it only weighs 24 oz including pegs. Sleeps two comfortably and cavernous for one.

Edited by Ross on 07/10/2013 12:51:44 MDT.

Paul McLaughlin
(paul) - MLife
2 poles can be better than one on 07/10/2013 12:43:13 MDT Print View

I've had my MSR twin peaks in some fierce winds and it was great. With adjustable poles - especially if they have flicklock type adjusters - you can jack up from the inside and really get it tight (as long as your stake placements are stout). I also have a Megamid and the Twin Peaks is FAR superior in the wind in my experience.

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
TT Notch on 07/10/2013 13:18:11 MDT Print View

If it were me I'd go for the TT Notch for a solo tent supported with hiking poles.

I have the Moment and (always far better rigged than the one in the photo) it is great in the wind.

The Notch is a Moment with hiking pople support.