What happened to all the UL trekking poles?
Display Avatars Sort By:
S Long
(Izeloz) - M

Locale: Wasatch
What happened to all the UL trekking poles? on 07/09/2013 23:27:20 MDT Print View

Why are Ruta Locura, Gossamer Gear, and Locus Gear perpetually out of their adjustable carbon fiber trekking poles? Are there any other suppliers?

Thaddaeus Wharton
(Thadjw) - MLife
Love my Ruta Locura treking poles on 07/10/2013 00:22:35 MDT Print View

Super light and have had no problems over 500 miles so far. Great craftsmanship.

John Abela
(JohnAbela) - MLife
Re: What happened to all the UL trekking poles? on 07/10/2013 03:33:56 MDT Print View

They are all facing supply issues of the parts that they use IIRC. GG and LG are also undergoing redesigns of their locking systems - so they are doing R&D plus parts sourcing and revamping up their product manufacturing. RL is usually always "out of stock" because he seems to make them on an on-order basis, so contact him and he will likely make you one (and at this time is the only place you could probably get a cottage ul hiking pole). I do not know of any other cottage companies that make carbon fiber hiking poles.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: What happened to all the UL trekking poles? on 07/10/2013 05:26:50 MDT Print View

It might be worth remembering that some of the majors also do CF trekking poles. We reviewed the Easton 3-section UL Carbon 3 trekking poles at
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/easton_carbon3_poles_review.html

Note: many of the cottage UL poles are either 2-section, so they don't fit in a pack for air travel, or the handles are not all that good (personal opinion based on my own experience). The Easton pole has a good handle and collapses to fit inside a pack - but it is not really 'UL'. Light, yes.

Cheers

kevin timm
(ktimm) - M

Locale: Colorado (SeekOutside)
Rock West on 07/10/2013 06:24:55 MDT Print View

I think Rock West Composites has UL trekking poles

Edited by ktimm on 07/10/2013 07:59:38 MDT.

Derrick White
(miku) - MLife

Locale: Newfoundland & Labrador, Canada
Rota Locura on 07/11/2013 10:37:12 MDT Print View

I ordered a pair of RL 3 piece poles about 2 weeks ago. Arrived yesterday. I am unsure the volume he is able to do.

I am amazed at how stiff they are for the weight.

DW

Jeff Sims
(jeffreytsims) - MLife

Locale: So. Cal
Re: Rota Locura on 07/11/2013 11:14:59 MDT Print View

I ordered a pair of RL 3 piece poles about 2 weeks ago. Arrived yesterday. I am unsure the volume he is able to do.

I am amazed at how stiff they are for the weight.

I had a very similar experience. I ordered them back in April and they showed up about 10 days later. Great customer service. and awesome poles

Jeff