Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Quinoa
Display Avatars Sort By:
Sean Passanisi
(passanis) - MLife
Quinoa on 07/08/2013 22:05:58 MDT Print View

I purchase quinoa at home that cooks in about 15 minutes. I see that others here cook quinoa on the trail. Is there a source for quick cooking quinoa?

Backpack Jack
(jumpbackjack) - F - M

Locale: Armpit of California
Quinoa on 07/09/2013 00:48:53 MDT Print View

I cook the Quinoa first at home, then dehydrate it, then it's easy and faster to rehydrate on the trail using less fuel.

Jack

Leigh Baker
(leighb) - F

Locale: Northeast Texas Pineywoods
re: Quinoa on 07/09/2013 03:59:46 MDT Print View

Ditto what Jack said.

Dondo .
(Dondo) - F

Locale: Colorado Rockies
Re: Quinoa on 07/09/2013 05:42:23 MDT Print View

There's a company out of Boulder called Keen One that sells little 4 oz. packets of quinoa that cook in 8 minutes.

Sean Passanisi
(passanis) - MLife
Re: Quinoa on 07/09/2013 11:01:52 MDT Print View

Pardon my ignorance, but does dehydrating require a machine?

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: Re: Quinoa on 07/09/2013 14:20:34 MDT Print View

No, you can cook and dry without a dehydrator. Just line baking sheets (rimmed ones) with parchment paper, and spread the cooked quinoa on it. Dry in your oven on the lowest setting, stirring every 30 minutes, until toasty dry.

Here is a simple method for cooking quinoa on the trail that doesn't require 15 minutes of fuel.....
http://blog.trailcooking.com/2012/08/08/the-thermos-method-for-quinoa/

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Quinoa on 07/09/2013 14:26:26 MDT Print View

Outdoor Herbivore sells dehydrated organic quinoa.

http://outdoorherbivore.com/instant-dehydrated-quinoa/

Rafi Harzahav
(rhz10) - F

Locale: SF Bay Area
instant quinoa flakes? on 07/09/2013 18:55:43 MDT Print View

E.g., http://www.purcellmountainfarms.com/Organic%20Quinoa%20Flakes.htm

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: instant quinoa flakes? on 07/09/2013 22:43:44 MDT Print View

Rafi, the flakes work best in creamy dishes - like breakfast cereal, or savory ones for dinner.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Quinoa on 07/10/2013 17:46:25 MDT Print View

I was introduced to Quinoa a few years ago. Once in a while, I purchase Quinoa flakes at the Whole Foods store. Most of the time, I purchase normal Quinoa and cook it normally (like rice), then dehydrate it on a food dehydrator (during the winter, when the waste heat warms the house). Dehydrated Quinoa is simple to use on a backpacking trip, and Quinoa flakes is better for baking Quinoa Cookies. Either makes a good diet source for protein and carbohydrates.

--B.G.--

Virginia Craft
(aletheia.va) - F

Locale: Feet dangling from the perimeter
pre-soak on 05/08/2014 13:11:31 MDT Print View

You can also pre-soak (typically 6-8 hours) the quinoa and it cuts the cook time in half.

This may or may not be a viable option though depending on how much water you are carrying and if you have a sealed container to put the quinoa in.
It is, however, an option if you aren't prepared with dehydrated quinoa and you don't want to use a ton of fuel to cook it up.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: pre-soak on 05/08/2014 17:06:02 MDT Print View

"You can also pre-soak (typically 6-8 hours) the quinoa and it cuts the cook time in half"

Excellent idea, particularly if you are laying over for a day, or doing base camp/day hike backpacking. It works very well for split red lentils(masoor dal), too.

Virginia Craft
(aletheia.va) - F

Re: Re: pre-soak on 05/08/2014 20:10:24 MDT Print View

Mmm...split red lentils. So tasty!
Legumes and grains react very well to a good pre-soak.

Another thing that my boyfriend and I recently discovered on our cross-country bicycle trip relates to spaghetti:
We would boil a pot of water, put in some spaghetti (I prefer the thin spaghetti - capellini), put out the flame, cover, and let sit for 7-12 minutes, depending on the thickness of the noodles.
Essentially, you only use your fuel to boil the water, then put out the flame, save the remaining fuel, cover the pot and let it sit for the given times.
After a 80 or 90 mile bike ride, this became the ambrosia of all ambrosias!

Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear1) - F
Re: Quinoa on 05/10/2014 09:21:58 MDT Print View

There is also Amaranth, which has some similarities and minor differences to Quinoa. One difference is that Amaranth i think is two essential amino acids short from being a complete protein so called, but it is a bit more nutritionally dense in other areas.

Taste is quite a bit of a difference in that Quinoa is more neutral tasting, and Amaranth has a more distinctive and nutty type taste. Amaranth also gets sticky when well cooked. (lends itself well to making homemade energy bars or the like, perhaps).

Sometimes i make a dehydrated energy meal out of a combo of blended figs, dates, and amaranth all cooked together (the amaranth gets cooked longer) and then dehydrated. A goodly amount of sugar and carbs, but since there is lots of fiber not near as blood sugar spiking as more refined sugars and carbs. Sometimes i glaze the top with some extra virgin coconut oil and/or sprinkle some goat milk powder on.

Virginia Craft
(aletheia.va) - F

Re: Re: Quinoa on 05/10/2014 10:15:28 MDT Print View

Yum! I especially like the final touch of a coconut oil and goat milk powder glaze. Now we're talkin'!

Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear1) - F
Re: Re: Re: Quinoa on 05/10/2014 10:25:21 MDT Print View

Haha Virginia, you must be strange like me. Glad you appreciated the sort of recipe though.

Virginia Craft
(aletheia.va) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: Quinoa on 05/10/2014 11:53:02 MDT Print View

Here's to strangers being strange! *clink*

Dan Magdoff
(highsierraguy) - F

Locale: Northern California
quinoa on 05/24/2014 22:17:48 MDT Print View

if regualtions allow you to have a fire, I often cook my quiona (and most dinners) directly on the fire. I get a nice bed of coals, and just put my pot directly on them. Eliminates a lot of fuel needs and its kind of fun :)