Forum Index » General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Does anyone find they sleep LESS in the woods?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Kevin Burton
(burtonator) - M

Locale: norcal
Does anyone find they sleep LESS in the woods? on 07/07/2013 11:42:26 MDT Print View

I seem to sleep fewer hours and more efficiently when I'm in the woods.

Further... I have FAR more vivid dreams and remember them more often.

I sleep 8-9 hours at home and like 5-6 hours in the woods.

Anyway... I suspect that the physical activity causes me to go into REM more and maybe this causes me to sleep more efficiently?

I would LOVE to figure out a way to duplicate that when at home :)... sleeping only 5-6 hours and being fully rested would mean more time to do other things.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Re: Does anyone find they sleep LESS in the woods? on 07/07/2013 12:41:12 MDT Print View

I find I sleep better outdoors as I hardly drink any booze or have my eyes glued to an ipad/computer/tv or stressed out over something at work.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Does anyone find they sleep LESS in the woods? on 07/07/2013 13:11:26 MDT Print View

At worst I sleep well a whole bunch of times during the night. At the other end I have slept 14 hours straight through in my hammock too. I sleep well everywhere.

Tony Wong
(Valshar) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: Does anyone find they sleep LESS in the woods? on 07/07/2013 13:23:48 MDT Print View

Kevin,

I sleep a lot less in the woods, is a bit maddening.

Typically, I will fall asleep for 3-4 hours straight after kicking out 15 miles on the trail.

Then I will wake up to go to the restroom and struggle to fall back asleep.

Often, I find that I will lay awake for 30-45 minutes and then wake up one or two more times til sunrise.

Sometimes, I am just laying there wide awake, hoping the sunrise will come sooner than later so I can get breakfast and hit the trail.

Annoying, but it is what it is....small price to pay to enjoy the spectacular views of the back country.

-Tony

Kevin Schneringer
(Slammer) - MLife

Locale: Oklahoma Flat Lands
I'm Sleepy on 07/07/2013 14:01:52 MDT Print View

I seem to crash hard for 3-4 hours as well.
Then nature calls and I am lucky if I get another 1-2 and that is restless.

I often think I would feel better if I just packed up and hiked instead of laying there tossing n turning!

Hiking Malto
(gg-man) - F
Sleep on 07/07/2013 14:28:59 MDT Print View

I probably sleep longer but not as well in the woods. I end up waking up from bear noises, falling tree noises, Bigfoot noises, mouse with fang noises and mutant psychopath noises. Basically, I'm a light sleeper but thankful I fall back to sleep quickly. It's just not as much quality sleep.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Sleep on 07/07/2013 14:58:19 MDT Print View

I sleep much longer in the woods than at home, mainly because I can. At home I get between five and six hours at most, but uninterrupted and comfy. In the woods, in my hammock I can easily sleep twelve hours, maybe waking up once to adjust something. Thankfully I still don't get nature's calls at night for the most part.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Malto and Sleep on 07/07/2013 14:59:26 MDT Print View

Malto,

Your opinion doesn't count. You are insane.

If I could do your mileage of 30-40 miles a day for weeks or months on end, I would sleep like a baby.

:)

Randy Martin
(randalmartin) - F

Locale: Colorado
Location and sounds on 07/07/2013 15:17:03 MDT Print View

Location and sounds are the biggest factor in good sleep for me.

Location-Level, near a stream (see sounds). I can't tell you how many times I think I have a level location only to find myself sliding in one direction during the night which then results in multiple re-positioning attempts and sleep disruption. Of course, arriving at camp late often prevents a thorough assessment of my location..

Sounds - Silence or constant sound preferred. Ear plugs can help with the silence part, streams or steady rain provide great white noise.

Delmar O'Donnell
(Bolster)

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio
Not when solo. on 07/07/2013 15:48:51 MDT Print View

I don't sleep as well, particularly when solo. Seems my ears are on "security duty" all night long, and that comes at the cost of deep sleep.

Somewhat concerned that using earplugs is counterproductive to my body's natural "security system."

Obviously non-solo requires just as much vigilance, but my brain doesn't understand that.

Edited by Bolster on 07/07/2013 15:50:48 MDT.

HK Newman
(hknewman) - MLife

Locale: Western US
Re: Does anyone find they sleep LESS in the woods? on 07/07/2013 16:06:16 MDT Print View

I usually need a night to adjust to new situations, so another reason in choosing to sleep at the TH the night before if at all possible. Same with hotels, etc....

Dena Kelley
(EagleRiverDee) - M

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska
"Does anyone find they sleep LESS in the woods?" on 07/08/2013 10:47:01 MDT Print View

I sleep less but it's because I'm constantly waking up - I'm hyper alert and any noise will wake me.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Does anyone find they sleep LESS in the woods? on 07/08/2013 10:51:46 MDT Print View

Depends. If I'm ground dwelling, yes, I sleep restlessly. If I'm hammocking, no, I sleep soundly throughout the night.

mark henley
(flash582) - F
visibility on 07/08/2013 11:15:05 MDT Print View

+1 on the hammock ...

But it also has to do with visibility ... if I can see out, for some reason, the night noises don't bother me as much ... if in an enclosed tent I toss and turn all night

Steofan The Apostate
(simaulius) - F

Locale: Bohemian Alps
Re: "Does anyone find they sleep LESS in the woods?" on 07/08/2013 11:17:53 MDT Print View

4 to 5 hours per night is all I get, inside or outside. Sunrise and fresh coffee are always good early-morning companions.

Joe Geib
(joegeib) - F

Locale: Delaware & Lehigh Valleys
That's why I hate BPing on 07/17/2013 14:32:33 MDT Print View

I wake up at the slightest sound when sleeping outside. Every time I hear a mouse fart I wake up.

Love to be outside and hiking, but that's my main issue with BPing. i NEVER sleep well.

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: west coast best coast
sleep on 07/17/2013 15:15:12 MDT Print View

In the winter i get most of my sleep between 6 am and noon when i understimate how much insulation i will need.

Roger Dodger
(RogerDodger) - F

Locale: Wess Siide
Re: Does anyone find they sleep LESS in the woods? on 07/17/2013 16:43:37 MDT Print View

I think this topic has been covered before, but I'm too lazy to dig up the BPL link.

It's normal to have a different sleep pattern when in the woods.
it's not the same as your soft nightly bed mattress.
There is no TV to drain you to sleep.
Your ears are not used to the night sounds of the woods.
Temperature varies greatly (versus your well insulated bedroom)

Many variables:
Altitude, hydration level, lumbar support, salt & sugar intake, caffeine or alcohol consumption, the absence of the comforting snoring of your pets or domestic bed buddy, the anxiety of the trip planning, your mind is concerned that you didn't bring a projectile weapon, you regret and feel guilty arguing on BPL against bringing along such a weapon, you feel like a hypocrite because you convinced others to camp without a projectile weapon but you secretly wish there was an armed security guard outside so you could sleep easy.

or not.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Re: Re: Does anyone find they sleep LESS in the woods? on 07/17/2013 17:18:58 MDT Print View

That was funny Roger!

Mark Cashmere
(tinkrtoy) - M

Locale: NEOH
Re: Does anyone find they sleep LESS in the woods? on 07/17/2013 17:30:22 MDT Print View

I used to have the same problem until I found the equation that worked for me:

(Miles + Elevation Change) * (Alcohol + Earplugs + Neoair) = Rest

'Changes in Latitude : Changes in Attitude' also helps