Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
The Ultralight Movement is keeping me from backpacking
Display Avatars Sort By:
Brian Johns
(bcutlerj) - M

Locale: NorCal
Re: Start later in the day on 07/16/2013 21:38:15 MDT Print View

I'm with Paul. The late start, early return is the best way to squeeze in an overnighter of almost any distance, especially a loop if you can camp where you want. Mini trips are a great way of not letting life get in the way of backpacking. But Ken's idea of doing the loop twice just to boggle the minds of the scouts and bikers you met sounds great too. Maybe you could pretend that you're lost on pass two and let the scouts save you. Everybody wins.

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
Re: The Ultralight Movement is keeping me from backpacking on 07/16/2013 21:44:08 MDT Print View

I think you need a wilderness hobby besides walking. I like to fish or practice bushcraft skills while backpacking. My friend is studying ecology and likes to identify plants.
Learn to gather wild edible plants.
Climbing stuff is always fun.

Jennifer Mitol
(Jenmitol) - M

Locale: In my dreams....
Re: Re: The Ultralight Movement is keeping me from backpacking on 07/17/2013 06:38:31 MDT Print View

This is why I like to bring a nook - I can do a lot more mileage than my friends, so I just take a nice long lunch at a beautiful spot, take off my shoes, have a bit of a soak, and lose myself in a good book surrounded by awesome smells, sounds, feelings, breeze on my face...that can consume a heck of a lot of time if I'm not careful....

Bogs and Bergs
(Islandized) - F

Locale: Newfoundland
Re: Re: The Ultralight Movement is keeping me from backpacking on 07/17/2013 07:59:33 MDT Print View

Birdwatching. Warning: addictive. In no time at all, you'll want to collect the whole set.

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
The Ultralight Movement is keeping me from backpacking on 07/17/2013 10:16:12 MDT Print View

I like the idea of doing the loop twice. But change clothes before the second loop, and act like you don't know anything about that other guy that looks like you.

Bob Salcedo
(Baughb) - F

Locale: So Cal.
Running out of trail? on 07/25/2013 09:39:57 MDT Print View

I'll second Justin's statement. Fishing can occupy a whole day for me and it leads me to be near a consistent water supply.