Forum Index » General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » The Ultralight Movement is keeping me from backpacking

Display Avatars Sort By:
Ozzy McKinney
(PorcupinePhobia) - F

Locale: PNW
The Ultralight Movement is keeping me from backpacking on 07/07/2013 00:16:12 MDT Print View

Second time this has happened. Load up the pack, head out for a North Cascades overnighter. Perfect weather, no bugs, just rambling through swift flowing streams in some sandals.

Get to my overnight spot early... kick around, find a camp spot, decide against it, find a better one, set up, scramble the nearest high point, eat... it's 3pm.

Why quit hiking on a perfect day? Break camp, continue on, check out the lake, take a side trail, take some photos, wade into a creek (early summer in the Cascades is, well... the bees knees). Talk to some ambitious mountain bikers, impromptu ptarmigan photo shoot, lie to some boyscouts about distance to the pass.

Before you know it, loop is done, walking back to the car. Could have avoided this had I shunned the UL movement. Now I'm at home with nothing to do but drink beer and watch Korean movies.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
The Ultralight Movement is keeping me from backpacking on 07/07/2013 00:37:53 MDT Print View

I suggest next time you take a slab* of Korean beer with you and an iPad so you can watch some American movies.

A slab is a carton with 24 stubbies
A stubby is...
oh, never mind

Ozzy McKinney
(PorcupinePhobia) - F

Ha! on 07/07/2013 00:42:59 MDT Print View

Oh Franco, you can assume I know what a stubby is...

But serious, too many friends from Seoul. Last time I took a "slab" anywhere was an island hiking trip with a rack of Fat Tire from Costco.

God I hate Costco.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: The Ultralight Movement is keeping me from backpacking on 07/07/2013 08:16:08 MDT Print View

Sounds like my first 25 mile day. Need a bigger loop.

Andrew Urlacher
(anarkhos) - M

Locale: Front Range CO
Possible Solution on 07/07/2013 08:22:33 MDT Print View

Do the loop twice?

At very least it would be fun to confuse the mountain bikers and boy scouts again.

HK Newman
(hknewman) - MLife

Locale: Earth (mostly)
Re: The Ultralight Movement is keeping me from backpacking on 07/07/2013 09:21:02 MDT Print View

Maybe another side trip or UL gourmet cooking? There's also buying a better camera to take more pictures in the late afternoon sun. If not ambitious mileage, activities after camp should be planned for. Better to have too much time rather than stumble into camp at dusk.

Kevin Burton
(burtonator) - F - M

Locale: norcal
Re: The Ultralight Movement is keeping me from backpacking on 07/07/2013 11:30:48 MDT Print View

This is becoming my problem too.. I keep putting in TOO MANY miles and under estimate everything.

I just did 45 miles in 3 days ... actually more like 2.5 days.

I actually WANTED to do all four days but I finished 1.5 days early.

I guess that's better than 1.5 days late and worrying my family ... but still.

Ozzy McKinney
(PorcupinePhobia) - F

twice on 07/07/2013 15:19:05 MDT Print View

Doing the loop twice did cross my mind, the area was beautiful.

I think if nothing else, just plan way more miles next time. I'm not much of a foodie, but I suppose I could try out actually cooking on a trip. I don't usually bring a stove unless the wife is along. That might be fun. Or just carry more beer.

M G
(drown) - F - MLife

Locale: Shenandoah
"The Ultralight Movement is keeping me from backpacking" on 07/07/2013 15:50:52 MDT Print View

Time to up the mileage. I had the same problem for years as I've always had a fast metabolism and tended to speed hike. I've found having something to do in camp and showing up exhausted at the end of the day can help. That can be fishing, or sketching or just bringing a good book and a nice drink. Better to relax somewhere with a good view than at home whenever possible.

Alex H
(abhitt) - MLife

Locale: southern appalachians or desert SW
Re: "The Ultralight Movement is keeping me from backpacking" on 07/07/2013 16:11:26 MDT Print View

Have run out of trail several times and come home early. Once my partners wife thought we had had a fight and that is why we came back early (she was worried no one would go with him anymore) ;)

Richard May
(richardmay)

Locale: Costa Rica
The Ultralight Movement is keeping me from backpacking on 07/07/2013 17:49:56 MDT Print View

Add more weight to slow you down? :P

Paul Magnanti
(PaulMags) - MLife

Locale: People's Republic of Boulder
Start later in the day on 07/07/2013 18:24:45 MDT Print View

Have a leisurely breakfast with the wife, drive up and start later in the day. Camp at dusk. Hike out and grab a late breakfast in town. Makes for what I call 24 hrs in the woods. Sometimes it fits the schedule well.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: The Ultralight Movement is keeping me from backpacking on 07/07/2013 18:30:42 MDT Print View

Relax, look, and listen?

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Locale: North Woods. Far North.
Re: Re: The Ultralight Movement is keeping me from backpacking on 07/07/2013 19:08:43 MDT Print View

>"Or just carry more beer."

Too much beer weight is self-correcting.

Aaron Sorensen
(awsorensen) - MLife

Locale: South of Forester Pass
Re: Re: Re: The Ultralight Movement is keeping me from backpacking on 07/07/2013 19:13:22 MDT Print View

Leaving UL, coming back SUL!

Hiking Malto
(gg-man) - F
Infliction on 07/07/2013 19:18:30 MDT Print View

You sound like you are are about to enter the land of uber high mile days. It is addicting and also opens up weekend trip to itineraries that most do in a week. There is no known cure!

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: west coast best coast
Re: The Ultralight Movement is keeping me from backpacking on 07/07/2013 19:51:36 MDT Print View

Try getting into fishing. That should slow you down a bit.

Paul Magnanti
(PaulMags) - MLife

Locale: People's Republic of Boulder
...or hike off trail on 07/07/2013 20:12:03 MDT Print View

..and if you hike off trail, mileage has less meaning. When you are climbing up steep tundra with some low class 3 scrambling on the talus in places and then bashing through willows, I can assure you the mileage will go down. ;) (That's why it took me a while to do ~16 miles Saturday! Luckily the last 7 miles out was on trail. :D)

The best part of hiking off trail is that you go where few people go and really feel like you are deep in the wilderness.

So the TRAILS aren't challenging? Get a good topo and go off-trail.

Edited by PaulMags on 07/07/2013 20:24:01 MDT.

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: west coast best coast
Re: ...or hike off trail on 07/07/2013 20:30:48 MDT Print View

I totally agree with Paul. Off trail hiking is fun, so much fun that you won't be rushing or concerned with mileage. You will want to explore places in a non linear fashion - just hopping around lake to lake or peak to peak.

Ozzy McKinney
(PorcupinePhobia) - F

off on 07/07/2013 23:11:58 MDT Print View

off trail might be the ticket, I'm just such a horrible planner! if I show up with endless miles of trail ahead of me, I know I have minimal navigation and therefor, maximal "head time" if that makes sense...?

i'll admit I used "Flagging" for the first time ever two weeks ago. Had 12 hours to escape, and a heavily wooded peak to summit. I collected every piece on the way down, my guilt is light. oh well.

I can't wait to do a long thru-hike. No objective but Going. April can't come fast enough!