Forum Index » GEAR » McHale pack or Zimmer pack?

Display Avatars Sort By:
K C
(KalebC) - F

Locale: South West
RE: Custom packs on 07/06/2013 22:35:55 MDT Print View

Packs hand made in the USA... McHale Packs may be the best made packs in the world. Pay close attention to stitching and tacks, that is where it counts. Zimmerbuilt packs are like having a custom built home, whatever you can imagine, he can build.

TJ Wharton
(Thadjw)
Re: on 07/07/2013 01:18:36 MDT Print View

Wild stuff here on this thread. Hope no one feels angry about the discussion and looks ok by now. Let's all play relatively nice in the game of life. Dan has been kind enough to reply via outside email a few times. He has an idea he's going to speak to me about. I'll keep it private and hope you all have a merry day.

A great pack is quite valuable to me and there has been some helpful advice here! TW

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: Re: on 07/07/2013 07:20:10 MDT Print View

You really owe it to yourself to contact Chris Zimmer as well. Always good to have options to get exactly what YOU want.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Re: Re: Dan and Dave on 07/07/2013 07:31:50 MDT Print View

"So David Ure, who's the other chap you mention that I charged for emails?"

"He had my pack for quite awhile, and I worked with him quite a bit, all the while he would go out on trips and use the pack for free. Suddenly one day, his wife was pregnant, and he suddenly could not get a pack. In the emails alone there was a huge amount of time invested. I decided I would recoup a little time and charged him 25 cents per email for the 100 emails that went back and forth. In my website it says there is some discretion in regards to refunds"

Dan Mchale, do you believe this approach to charging for emails is ethical? Do you believe that it may be better to put on your website that emails from you are not free? Do you not supply Demo Packs and tell clients to us the packs on trips? Are you aware of what it costs to have a baby? When you say "suddenly" is this because you are not aware that this is how the initial stages of pregnancy occurs?

I find it amazing how you come off as an unbelievably unprofessional vendor, claim there is an agenda against you, offend everyone, edit your posts again and again, wait until Roger deletes some of your posts and then you edit your posts again to come off looking like a saint. You even convince others to edit their posts when they wrote nothing wrong? This happens again and again, in virtually any thread you have been involved in over the past several years. Pretty easy to see that by doing a search.

If anything, it is really awesome how you do that. I applaud you!

Edited by FamilyGuy on 07/07/2013 08:05:28 MDT.

michael levi
(M.L) - F

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles
re on 07/07/2013 08:05:06 MDT Print View

I agree, just from what I've read I have no desire to do business with him. I highly recommend zimmerbuilt though, I've had 3 packs made from him and they were all great. Not overpriced either.

Edited by M.L on 07/07/2013 11:11:56 MDT.

Tanner M
(Tan68)
Re: Re: Re: Dan and Dave on 07/07/2013 08:11:01 MDT Print View

If I read the thread again, it is different, now ?

I admit I have read this thread and the comments following the Cottage Industry editorial because I was intrigued by the changes made to the 'If you could only have one pack' thread.

Posts were edited a year later...

I thought I could get in on the ground floor and follow this and the Cottage threads. I still got lost.

I don't know why your head keeps changing. Sometimes it is a large squid head only. Sometimes it is a squid head on a man. I decided to use it as a reminder to take pain reliever. Squid head is for Tylenol and squid man is for Ibuprofen. Still don't understand. Feel better, though :^)

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: Dan and Dave on 07/07/2013 08:27:25 MDT Print View

Always just been Davey Jones Squid or Pinnacle Lake. Maybe this thread is giving you a headache? Maybe it was the pot roast? Dan Mchale threads are usually morphing on an ongoing basis. It is like a "signature." At least there are no surprises. LOL.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Dan and Dave on 07/07/2013 08:33:28 MDT Print View

Copy and paste.

Davey, I would copy and paste and then reply.

Looking back at the chewing that Ron Moak got, for being a vendor that "argued" with a customer here.....now I think maybe he just wasn't aggressive enough??

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: Dan and Dave on 07/07/2013 08:35:32 MDT Print View

Good idea Kat. It was hard to keep up on this thread if you weren't glued to the monitor.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Dan and Dave on 07/07/2013 08:36:42 MDT Print View

Indeed, Kat. indeed.

scree ride
(scree) - M
e-mail on 07/07/2013 09:26:12 MDT Print View

E-mail takes time. Time is money. Who here does not charge for time? Consultation fees?
While some are lucky or skilled enough to work in a field that we all view as a hobby, it is still work and they should get paid. They still have bills and mortgages like the rest of us they have to pay. That means that they have to get money from somewhere and someone. That leaves the actual customers that know where babies come from and plan for and around them. They are the ones who actually pay. That would not be fair to them or me.
I have noticed that most of the popular cottages, after the first one or two e-mails, stop replying. I've come to expect it. Tarptent, Hmg, Six Moons...Zimmer was out for a couple of weeks, but was probably the best at replying. I'm the same way. I hate dealing with some customers. They charge for their time, yet they want mine for free.

Edited by scree on 07/07/2013 09:27:13 MDT.

M B
(livingontheroad) - M
pack on 07/07/2013 09:28:18 MDT Print View

Quite frankly, if you are UL, you can carry what you need in just about anything, ...even a cuben sack with shoulder straps.

McHale packs are legendary, but not in the UL area because they simply arent required.

I dont find the website bad, but then again I have no complaints about dirtygirlgaiters.com website, and some blast her for the worst website on the web,as if it really matters.

A lot of folks get a custom item made, and then its up for sale shortly after too. I think many folks "custom" ideas dont really work out for them long term, whether shelters or packs. Its also amazing the number of people that get a custom pack made, and then sell it claiming its too small. Ive seen what I regarded as some hideous custom packs on here, whether in terms of just colors, or pack options.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Re: e-mail on 07/07/2013 09:34:25 MDT Print View

Scree wrote,

"E-mail takes time. Time is money. Who here does not charge for time? Consultation fees?
While some are lucky or skilled enough to work in a field that we all view as a hobby, it is still work and they should get paid. They still have bills and mortgages like the rest of us they have to pay. That means that they have to get money from somewhere and someone. That leaves the actual customers that know where babies come from and plan for and around them. They are the ones who actually pay. That would not be fair to them or me.
I have noticed that most of the popular cottages, after the first one or two e-mails, stop replying. I've come to expect it. Tarptent, Hmg, Six Moons...Zimmer was out for a couple of weeks, but was probably the best at replying. I'm the same way. I hate dealing with some customers. They charge for their time, yet they want mine for free."

The difference is that the other cottage makers haven't sent you demo gear to try out, decide on options and perfect the fit. You are supposed to email Dan Mchale with pictures, videos, and questions. The process is very well defined in his website (unless that has been edited as well) and is expected to take a lot of back and forth through email. Given the price of a Mchale pack, it is a reasonable expectation that emails would be included in the price of the pack. The consultation as you put it would be included. But if not, we have all learned something.

What are you asking Tarptent? The length of the shelter? Whether you can get their products in cuben (you can't, BTW)?

Zimmer was replying to your emails consistently because the dialogue must be extensive and ongoing if you are having him build you a custom pack.

Regarding babies, yes, we should all plan better. LOL

Edited by FamilyGuy on 07/07/2013 09:37:15 MDT.

Charles Jennings
(vigilguy) - F - M

Locale: Northern Utah
Response to the OP's question on 07/07/2013 10:08:17 MDT Print View

"For high end packs are you really getting something worth paying for?"

Depends on how much you use it, I suppose.

I have read complaints about paying $800 for McHale custom packs. Well, that price is a pretty generalized statment. I believe that those who are taken back about the cost are comparing these packs to production packs made outside the U.S. . They are not in the same league, such as it would be foolish to compare Merrell custom boots ($1200) to those off the shelf. To me, they were a bargain, and I wanted to get the different models now before Dan retired.

One of my McHale packs, a Merke, cost under $500. Another, a Chasm, cost around $950. Of course it was full Dyneema. My large pack, a SCMII, cost around $950, and it is a Dyneema/Dyneema grid construction.

In my Merke, I carry weights anywhere from 10 lbs to 50 lbs and it can handle it. The weight of McHale packs have never concerned me. I always choose durability first before counting ounces, in packs, as well as tents, as I commonly camp at or above timberline in the Winds and the Uintas.

McHale packs are built to last, the stitching is impeccable, as well as the fit. The suspension is amazing.

I have never regretted my purchases from Dan. I am confident that these three packs will last me the rest of my life.

Edited by vigilguy on 07/07/2013 10:13:09 MDT.

dan mchale
(wildlife) - MLife

Locale: Cascadia
squid face on 07/07/2013 10:13:59 MDT Print View

I'd like people to know that the real reason Squid Face is chasing me around here and in the cottage consumption thread is because I got tired of 'working' with him. I made the personal conclusion that something was wrong with this picture and that somehow he just was not the normal sincere customer, this after giving him another chance after trying to ignore him. I told him to go and find another pack maker to play with. He can fill you in on the details of what I actually told him........something about circles and jerks.... I tried to escape him by ignoring him but that did not work. He is already an 'AMBASSADOR' for HMG, and he's probably on the most valuable player list at Mystery Ranch. He's up for grabs. Anyone want him?

David Ure is trying to make a big deal of me charging for emails when this was the only time I have done it - I doubt he would bring it up if he knew that. It's strange that David has been in contact with this person. David has located the only customer I ever charged for emails. I have to wonder about that. The reason I charged for the emails was to make a statement to a person that seemed to have no concept of the amount of my time he wasted. He did not even consider it, and it was quite a bit of time. The money I charged was purely token, and the person did not even understand that. I was in contact with this person for 4 months and his intention from the beginning was to get a pack.

Edited by wildlife on 07/07/2013 21:03:15 MDT.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: Dan and Dave on 07/07/2013 10:18:02 MDT Print View

Thanks you two for the glowing example that people aren't perfect.

"I'd like people to know that the real reason Squid Face is chasing me around here is because I got tired of 'working' with him. I made the personal conclusion that something was wrong with this picture and that somehow he just was not the normal sincere customer, this after giving him another chance after trying to ignore him. I told him to go and find another pack maker to play with. He can fill you in on the details of what I actually told him........something about circles and jerks.... I tried to escape him by ignoring him but that did not work. He is already an 'AMBASSADOR' for HMG, and he's probably on the most valuable player list at Mystery Ranch. He's up for grabs. Anyone want him?"

Be the bigger man and let it go.

Edited by kthompson on 07/07/2013 10:19:59 MDT.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Re: Re: Dan and Dave on 07/07/2013 10:46:44 MDT Print View

Yes, I did want to talk to you about your after sales service....

Folks, I won't fill you in on the packs fit issues and certainly not the offensive emails from Dan Mchale, as this is not the correct forum. Some find no fit issues; some do. If you look back at every post I have made, I have never said a bad thing about a Mchale pack. In fact, if I look at my very first post on this thread it recommended a Mchale pack. Yet my character has been attacked, my family attacked (that post was edited, LOL), etc.

In any event, caveat emptor and all that. Last post on this thread from me.

scree ride
(scree) - M
no soup for you on 07/07/2013 10:46:51 MDT Print View

Yet the "non serious" customer did buy a quality pack. you probably have enough customers anyway. So what if you have to eat your own pot roast?
Buy a Lawson.

Tanner M
(Tan68)
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Dan and Dave on 07/07/2013 12:14:03 MDT Print View

You might be right...

> ... I think maybe he just wasn't aggressive enough??

scree ride
(scree) - M
back on suject on 07/07/2013 12:44:21 MDT Print View

Are they worth it? How much is it worth to you?
How often will you use it compared to other things in your life? A $200 pack may well do, meaning that you could possibly spend $300 on other gear or possibly food for the baby. For me $500 was too much. If I spent more time on the trail, or was a guide, or had greater income, it might be cheap. For myself, I really could only excuse around $300...and then stretched it. I'm very happy with what I have. I'll probably die before it wears out. Just buy the best that you can afford. Regardless of what you carry 20-30 pounds in, it will still be 20-30 pounds. You can't buy your way out of it unless you hire a Sherpa.