Sweaty Back Syndrome
Display Avatars Sort By:
Jim Sweeney
(swimjay) - MLife

Locale: Northern California
Sweaty Back Syndrome on 07/05/2013 16:57:59 MDT Print View

I'm always a little puzzled when pack manufacturers talk about one feature or another of their packs that minimizes back sweating, and am curious to hear from others who are bothered by sweaty back.

It always seems to me like a bit of a princess-and-the-pea-ism, but then I remind myself that I'm working on being more compassionate, and give myself a taste of the lash.

For me, the problems are usually more like the heart and the brain have filed a joint report stating that their oxygen reserves are getting dangerously low, or my right shoulder is threatening to leave the union, or that I haven't felt my toes in several hours.

But perhaps a sweaty back is more serious than I've given it credit for being, and I'd love to hear from others who better appreciate the magnitude of the problem.

Edited by swimjay on 07/05/2013 16:59:14 MDT.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Re: Sweaty Back Syndrome on 07/05/2013 18:06:38 MDT Print View

Hmmm. I don't sweat much at all compared to most people, even under exertion and heat. I do, however get a sweaty back when carrying my packs, even those with mesh and all the other goodies that should help prevent it. I don't mind much, except if it's cold and I don't have time to dry out.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: Sweaty Back Syndrome on 07/05/2013 18:12:37 MDT Print View

"It always seems to me like a bit of a princess-and-the-pea-ism, but then I remind myself that I'm working on being more compassionate, and give myself a taste of the lash."

Backpackers that complain about sweaty backs don't deserve compassion.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Sweaty Back Syndrome on 07/05/2013 18:15:17 MDT Print View

If my back is sweaty I'll bet the front of me is also.

Mark Ries
(mtmnmark) - M

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!
Re: Sweaty Back Syndrome on 07/05/2013 19:02:16 MDT Print View

You know those cooling crystals they used to put in bandannas and hat bands? I think it was called blue bandoo or something. Maybe they should put them in back pads. With marketing it does not have to work it just needs to sound like it will.