Why I am on BPL this holiday and weekend
Display Avatars Sort By:
Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Bead and jack on 07/07/2013 16:21:24 MDT Print View

"Did you try putting the jack on your tire and jacking the camper on it to unseat it?
I learned that trick a few years ago but have only used it once."

Kat,

Now that is an excellent idea. I will store that in my memory bank. I used to mount tires on Class 8 trucks so I do have some experience. The tools I had with me didn't work. Your solution would have.

My biggest mistake was being too trusting -- obviously. What happened is the last thing I expected. Heck I have left the camper popped up in and unattended in camp sites for days while hiking, and even at trail heads closed up. Never had a problem.

Everything that was stolen was secured by locking devices. Of course we know security measures are only meant to keep the honest people honest.

Thanks everyone for the positive notes and PM's. We still haven't heard back from the insurance company, but being a holiday week that doesn't surprise me. Once they tell us what they will or will not do, we will plan our options.

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
"Guard" at the trailer on 07/08/2013 11:34:37 MDT Print View

Nick,

Would it have been possible for one of you to drive to get the necessary help and the other (perhaps you) to stay with the camper?

In the future if this happens again you may need to consider a "guard" to watch the camper - like a 110 lb., trained Rotwieller!

P.S. Gotta say, I'd have love to come back as the theives were beginning their spree. With the machete and Asp baton I aways have in my car things may have gotten "interesting". Grrrr!

Edited by Danepacker on 07/08/2013 11:37:15 MDT.