Just a fun little mental gear shopping game I thought of. Say your house burns down to the ground, and literally all of your gear is gone. Damn! But let's say you have great insurance, and after you find a new home and replace your stuff, you of course have to sit down and order brand new backpacking gear. Hooray! Your insurance company is willing to pay for any brand new gear of your choice, but only for one set of the important "big 5" (which I just came up with), which is:
1. Shelter system
2. Sleep system
4. Rain gear
Let's say your insurance agent is a nice person, feels bad for you, is willing to be flexible (e.g. trekking poles can count as part of shelter system, if you so desire) and money is no object for these five choices (the point is a pleasant game, after all).
I'll go first!
1. Zpacks Hex twin tarp, Borah Cuben bivy with custom net vent, big roll of Tyvek for MYOG groundsheets, GG LT3C Trekking poles fixed length
2. Zpacks 30 sleeping bag, STS silk bag liner (for winter), Neoair Xlite regular, set of Smartwool merino base layers and socks, Zpacks pillow stuff sack, GG Thinlight Pad 3/8 (for winter)
3. Merrell Trail Gloves, Dirty Girl gaiters
4. Zpacks WPB jacket and pants, Zpacks Cuben backpack cover, Montbell Tachyon Wind Jacket (for light rain)
5. Zpacks Arc Blast plus pair of hip pockets
For the record I am not sponsored or given free gear by any company.
What about the rest of you?