Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
where to buy instant beans ?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Rafi Harzahav
(rhz10) - F

Locale: SF Bay Area
where to buy instant beans ? on 07/04/2013 12:29:25 MDT Print View

Hi,

I'd like to try making some beans and rice on the trail and thought these would be good:

http://www.amazon.com/Santa-Fe-Bean-Vegetarian-7-25-Ounce/dp/B000FICDO8

Does any know if these (or anything equivalent) are sold in retail stores? I'd like to give it a try at home since the amazon offering is for a large quantity.

Thanks,

rhz

Dondo .
(Dondo) - F

Locale: Colorado Rockies
Re: where to buy instant beans ? on 07/04/2013 13:08:43 MDT Print View

I've found some in the bulk bins at Whole Foods. Not all the stores carry them, so you may need to hunt around a bit.

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: Re: where to buy instant beans ? on 07/04/2013 13:15:23 MDT Print View

Mexicali Rose, on Amazon is Great! Pinto, and Black Bean Refries

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: where to buy instant beans ? on 07/06/2013 12:48:26 MDT Print View

I buy beans from www.harmonyhousefoods.com - the beans are precooked and dried (which, yes, you can also do at home I might add!). I prefer whole beans over refried style, that is just me :-)

Dena Kelley
(EagleRiverDee) - M

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska
"where to buy instant beans ?" on 07/08/2013 12:53:50 MDT Print View

My local Carrs/Safeway has dried bean flakes in their bulk food bins. They make good burritos, or soup.

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Locale: North Woods. Far North.
Re: "where to buy instant beans ?" on 07/08/2013 14:01:21 MDT Print View

My Safeway does as well (maybe it's an Alaskan Safeway thing?) There are also boxes on the shelf (mostly in the Organic Food section) that have bean soups, etc, with dried beans plus seasoning, etc. But the bulk bins would be a lot less expensive.

For some reason, we never think to TELEPHONE the grocery store, but you actually can. Ask them if they stock dried beans in their bulk food section and they'll run over, check, and tell you. That can save a lot of gasoline and time driving around town.

peter vacco
(fluff@inreach.com) - M

Locale: no. california
Re: where to buy instant beans ? on 07/08/2013 15:27:28 MDT Print View

i have pounded back hundreds of 7oz bags of dehydrated refried beans from Fantastic Foods over the years. but i'v had to mail order away for them. same for Deboles corn pasta.

fear not buying a case or two. it's not like they have a shelf life. plastic beans will bring the same Goodness to your camp and home 5 yrs from now as they will today.

you can toss synthetic beans into any polymer based entree and it will nought but improve it.

v.