Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
NOBOS: 6/30 Sonora Pass
Display Avatars Sort By:
Paul Wagner
(balzaccom) - F

Locale: Wine Country
NOBOS: 6/30 Sonora Pass on 07/04/2013 08:09:19 MDT Print View

During our last hike at Sonora Pass, one thing was clear: PCT NOBOs are supposed to get to Sonora Pass by the end of June.

(For those of you unfamiliar with the terminology, those people hiking the Pacific Crest Trail in its entirety, from Mexico to Canada--North Bound--are NOBOs.)

We met at least ten of these hikers on the few miles of trail we hiked on June 30th, and they were all right on schedule. They were also young, friendly, and seemed to be having a great time. They were also really looking forward to the food (and showers) they were expecting at Sonora Pass.

The section they had just completed was a long one, from Tuolumne Meadows to Sonora Pass, and the next few stages will be much shorter and easier. At least one of the next stages, from Carson Pass to Echo Summit, can easily be done as a day hike.

It was fun to see them on the trail. Here's hoping that they all make it!

Bill Law
(williamlaw) - M

Locale: SF Bay Area
Re: NOBOS: 6/30 Sonora Pass on 07/05/2013 14:21:00 MDT Print View

Interesting. I was just south of Sonora Pass the weekend before and saw a good number of NOBOs, also. I thought they were ahead of schedule since there wasn't much snow this spring. In a typical year, Tioga pass (the road) opens Memorial Day. So getting through the High Sierra and to Sonora Pass by the end of June seems challenging. But so does hiking at the Canadian border in October...

Needless to say, *I* won't be doing a through hike!

Somebody spelled out "1007" with rocks at the crossing of a creek 10 miles or so south of the pass. So that's 1/3 of the way (I assume that's the mileage on the PCT; yep, just looked it up and it's 1018 miles to the pass). Stats at pcta.org seem to support the "Sonora Pass by 4th of July" rule of thumb.

P.S. You must be the same Paul Wagner who has the "backpackthesierra" web site. I happened across that when researching my trip and enjoyed reading your trip reports. Thanks!

Paul Wagner
(balzaccom) - F

backpackthesierra website on 07/05/2013 14:54:14 MDT Print View

HI Bill

Yep. That's me! Thanks fore the kind words.

And no, I don't think I'll be doing the PCT in a single year, either!

Bill Law
(williamlaw) - M

Locale: SF Bay Area
Re: NOBOS: 6/30 Sonora Pass on 07/06/2013 12:22:07 MDT Print View

> They were also really looking forward to the food (and showers) they were expecting at Sonora Pass.

I forgot to comment on this line: These hikers are going to be really disappointed when they get there and find out that the Sonora Pass Resort has been closed for years now.

Paul Wagner
(balzaccom) - F

showers on 07/06/2013 21:15:32 MDT Print View

Most of them were getting a ride into town for the evening...and showers.

Sonora Pass resort? Where is that? Kennedy Meadows is still open...