Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Sonora Pass peaks
Display Avatars Sort By:
Paul Wagner
(balzaccom) - F

Locale: Wine Country
Sonora Pass peaks on 07/03/2013 12:46:34 MDT Print View

The good news? I am now healthy again, and able to hike.

How do I know? Because over the weekend we went up to Sonora Pass and headed South on the Pacific Crest Trail for a day hike. On the way, we managed to find a couple of peaks to climb, including one that was 11,845 high.

And that went just fine, thank you very much.

The flowers were blooming,

IMG_7418.JPG

and the lichen in this area was astonishing.

IMG_7455.JPG

Plus, the views from up there were simply stunning. Check out this shot, looking southeast along the crest of the Sierra towards Matterhorn Peak, the Sawtooth Range, and in the distance, all the major peaks of Yosemite, including Cloud's Rest and the Clark Range over there on the right. Wow!

IMG_7440.JPG

The view North from the second peak, about 11,000 feet or so. ©http://backpackthesierra.com

It sure felt good to be able to hike again, and we're already making plans for a longer stay in the Sierra, this time, with backpacks!

If you want to see the photos of the whole hike, here's a link that will take you to the trip log for the hike on Picasa.

https://picasaweb.google.com/balzaccom/SonoraPass2013DayHikingInTheSierra#

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: Sonora Pass peaks on 07/03/2013 18:34:45 MDT Print View

Hi Paul,

I'm relatively new to BPL and don't know what your story is but I'm glad to hear you've recovered. The pictures are absolutely breathtaking. I've never been to the Sierras and I'm pondering a JMT hike in the summer of 2014 or 2015.

Take care and happy trails.

Tony Wong
(Valshar) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: Sonora Pass peaks on 07/06/2013 08:13:09 MDT Print View

Paul,

Thank for sharing your pictures and congrats on getting back out on the trial!

Question for you: what where the temperatures like when you were out there?

I see snow in the background and I am going to be taking a trip out that way later this month.

Would like to get a better sense of how much clothing I should take and if I can get away with using a 40F sleeping bag at night to save weight without endangering myself.

Thanks!

-Tony

Paul Wagner
(balzaccom) - F

Locale: Wine Country
Temps on 07/06/2013 10:03:34 MDT Print View

That day it was well over 100 in Modesto, and about 90 at Pinecrest Lake, (6,000 feet) But the temp at SOnora Pass waas 75 degrees. Lovely,

Bear in mind that you're looking south in that photo, so you are seeing the North face of every mountain. Check out the other photos on Picasa to see what some of the other views looked like.

We take bags that are good down to well below freezing on our trips to the High SIerra...but we often don't zip them up fully. Nighttime temperatures can be anywhere from 15-40, depending on the weather at high elevations.

Tony Wong
(Valshar) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: Temps on 07/06/2013 10:14:44 MDT Print View

Paul,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly and posting up the conditions that you faced.

Yup, guess I am going to my 25-30F JRB Quilt on the trip.

The few ounces of weight savings isn't worth the risk of suffering a night of shivering.

I did see the pics of your trip on your link.

Looks great....love the thought of 75F temps up there while the rest of the world is frying at 100 F.

Again, thanks for sharing and I appreciate your insight to help me with having a save trip.

Tony