Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Semi-Custom Backpacks
Display Avatars Sort By:
Lawson Kline
(Mountainfitter) - M

Locale: LawsonEquipment.com
Thanks on 07/08/2013 01:10:34 MDT Print View

Thanks for all the compliments and feedback.

This particular pack style does not have a frame but I have many more that do. Some of my designs have just a foam backpanel and some have a foam backpanel, plastic frame sheet, and removable aluminum frame stays.

The packs have a contoured shape cut into the sides of the pack so they fit your back better. The load lifter system is sort of two part. Its helps to compress the pack more while allowing you to adjust how the load feels on your shoulders.

As far as customization goes. I am still thinking about this. I want to be able to offer a product that is unique to the customer while being able to produce it in a very short amount of time. I am thinking kind of like how Timbuk2 does their bags.

Joe S
(ThreeRidges) - M
go for it on 07/08/2013 06:40:59 MDT Print View

I'm tall and have not found a mid-priced pack that deals with long torso folks (21.5) well without dropping $$$. I've ordered products from you in the past and have faith in your quality, so I'd be all over this if you pulled the trigger.

Matthew Perry
(bigfoot2) - F

Locale: Oregon
You Can Do It, Lawson! on 07/08/2013 10:13:57 MDT Print View

+1 on the multi-cam. C'mon , Lawson...we're all rooting for you and will buy AT LEAST what you produce.

Matt

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nwv61Uu1fdA

tyler marlow
(like.sisyphus)

Locale: UTAH
custom options on 07/08/2013 17:16:50 MDT Print View

I'd like to see options for water bottle, kangaroo, and interior stash pockets pockets.

Maybe a beavertail option

Removable lid

Removable frame

Hipbelt options

Edward Zwibel
(YetiEddie) - MLife

Locale: Sunny San Diego
I'd have to try one! on 07/11/2013 14:12:29 MDT Print View

Looking forward to seeing.....

Peter Longobardi
(paintplongo) - F

Locale: Hopefully on the Trail
Price? on 07/11/2013 19:48:21 MDT Print View

Best advice on pricing is price the pack out at cost and then markup to retail. Might sound simple and logically, but hitting price points is the way the large, mass production companies built products typically. If you need to price at $180, don't let a couple of people telling you, $130 or it won't sell, scare you away from bringing these to market if you feel you're created a great product that has it's place in the category. Wow...run on sentence there at the end.

Lawson Kline
(Mountainfitter) - M

Just Found on 05/02/2014 22:28:23 MDT Print View

I just came across this forum and remembered about the Multicam X pac backpack I built 9 months ago.. So I dug it out and took two photo's since I said I was going to way back when I started this forum.... I guess I got too busy and forgot.

The pack in question uses VX33 which is a 330d cordura Multicam Xpac, and VX42 black for the back panel which is a 400d cordura. I would say the size is a true 35L. Basically the same pack as the red one above, just no zippers, no daisy chains, no ice axe loops, and more durable materials. Oh yeah and plus a semi-frame.. It weighs 24oz without the frame stays and 30oz with two aluminum 1/8" thick x 3/4" wide x 22" long frame stays..

multicam backpack

multicam backpack

Edited by Mountainfitter on 05/02/2014 22:34:34 MDT.

Kenda Willey
(sonderlehrer)
Re: Wait time for semi-custom packs on 05/04/2014 21:19:03 MDT Print View

A very nice-looking pack! Eight weeks is, however, too long--just because others do it, doesn't mean it's okay. If you decide to make them, I think you should engage some personnel to make them, instead of doing it yourself. From the sound of your posts, you're thinking of expanding, right? So doesn't that lead to bigger operations?
You're very well-regarded in your one-man operation--don't you think you can retain your standards if you increase your production? I've bought several items from you, and am very happy with the quality and the personal communication. Frankly, I'd give your affordable tarps or packs the benefit of the doubt over others, but waiting for two months just plain turns me off.

Scott Jones
(Endeavor) - M
Semi Custom Backpacks on 05/04/2014 23:10:53 MDT Print View

Cool Pack! I would like to see what the suspension looks like on the other side.

Kenda Willey
(sonderlehrer)
Re: Eight weeks on 05/05/2014 09:18:27 MDT Print View

Re-reading my posting from yesterday, I think it sounded a little pedantic. Sorry about that, and the pack looks very nice. I am a happy customer of yours, but I think eight weeks is too long to wait. Plus, once you open up orders for your packs, tarps, etc., you'll have a lot more orders, thereby possibly increasing the wait time?

Lawson Kline
(Mountainfitter) - M

Wait Time on 05/06/2014 01:25:54 MDT Print View

Truthfully it takes me a day or two to build most packs from start to finish. So 8 weeks was just a hypothetical number..

At first the lead time would probably be 2-3 weeks from order time as I would have to fit pack building in to my current schedule and would have to stock up on more materials.. My guess is after I start selling these the lead time would increase as there will be ALOT of people that want them. Since I am currently a one man operation I am sure I won't be able to keep up with demand so this is where I came up with the longer lead times. But if I have that much demand for these packs, I would look to hire some help as I really would like to expand my business.

Before I posted this forum 10 months ago, I was always against selling custom built gear as its much faster to build something in bulk.. Like maybe 20 packs at a time since the time to build one would be cut in 1/2 or maybe even less.. But I feel like the allure to this whole thing would be that each pack could be semi-custom. Basically built for the user and their needs.. Because after all no two people are built alike and everyone has a different need.. I guess the best way to describe the process would be like how you customize a vehicle online. Choose the model, the size, the colors, and all the features that you need.

One thing that might be of interest to some people is that my packs are essentially 100% Rain Proof.. Rather than encasing the fabric edges in 1" grosgrain tape like almost all packs are. I actually use a seam tape to make the seam semi-waterproof... The PU used in hot melt seam tapes melt at a higher temp than the PET film used in Xpac so I use a very aggresive 1" wide roll adhesive with fabric tape on the top. It really finishes the inside of the pack off nice, adds strength to the seams and makes the pack 100% rainproof. This does take extra time, but I think its well worth it...

All that said, I have now received quite a few requests for the above Multicam pack asking the price and how soon they could have one. I have been kicking it around all day and as it sits, the model in the photo with Multicam would cost $250.00. Lets call the pack model the Ultra 35.. I could do the same pack in VX21 200d for $235.00 as the material is a little less costly. The VX21 is a 200d Xpac and comes in a ton of colors (varieties of black, gray, blue, red, orange, yellow, etc) and for those of you who really want the best possible pack and want a white pack., I could do $300.00 in Dyneema D40/DX40 which is dyneema/polyester blend. Warp: 400d Dyneema, Fill: 125d polyester, Rip Stop: 800d Dyneema on warp and fill.

If anyone is interested, send me an email and we can discuss further..

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Wait Time on 05/06/2014 02:55:10 MDT Print View

> I actually use a seam tape to make the seam semi-waterproof...
I do that too, on my X-Pac packs. Works very well.

Cheers