Forum Index » Editor's Roundtable » The Politics of Cottage Consumption

Display Avatars Sort By:
dan mchale
(wildlife) - MLife

Locale: Cascadia
Dave Ure loves Dan on 07/06/2013 13:44:00 MDT Print View

David Ure, (Davy Jones) said,

"I can say Dan McHale is an innovator."

David likes my stuff so much he is using one of my photographs as his avatar. I'm flattered Dave! Where is that lake David?

Edited by wildlife on 07/06/2013 13:53:06 MDT.

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Locale: North Woods. Far North.
Spread the word on 07/06/2013 13:49:02 MDT Print View

>"And that is truly the key here - size of market. When the market is truly tiny and product development is expensive, that's when you don't see innovation because it doesn't pay. Ultralight gear hovers on the edge of that equation."

Paul: Agreed. Until you get to REI's shelves, it's really hard to make price points and get the exposure that would bring in more customers.

I see sustainability people in my area partnering with homesteader types, off-the-gridders, organic-food advocates, and preppers because they are all into locally-grown food for their own reasons.

When I was looking for a youtube on the Vargo Hexagon wood stove, half of them were by UL types but the other half was by preppers.

We've got some authors right on this website doing great research and write-ups but then preaching to the choir. How about submitting articles to Field & Stream and Backwoodsman Magazines? - those guys will spend big bucks if it could marginally help them bag a trophy deer or survive the coming zombie hordes.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Spread the word on 07/06/2013 13:54:34 MDT Print View

Sometimes people are driven by financial reward (let's call that the "Nick" crowd)

But sometimes people are driven by intelectual curiosity

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Re: Re: Re: Crowdsourcing on 07/06/2013 13:58:14 MDT Print View

James,

I don't understand what your point is.

My point is that most start up businesses fail. You can look at failure in many ways; missing adequate ROI, product failures, missing product delivery time forecasts, or even dissolution of the company. Rates run the range of 40% - 95% in the FIRST year, depending upon your definition of success.

Even Kickstarter admits that their projects are late 87% of the time (I got this fact off the their website last year).

How do you know a product will even do what the start up person says it will do? What recourse do you have if it doesn't work as advertised? How do you know the person has a successful track record in product development.

With crowdfunding you are not investing in a company, you are taking a risk the product will work. The buyers are taking the risk, usually not the product developer. Also look at the low level contributions... these really fall into the realm of donations or charity.

If I want to donate money to someone, I will give my money to organizations that help children or to cure disease; not someone who has a dream, cannot fund it or is unwilling to risk their own money, or cannot find funding through conventional methods.

Do I want to give my money to someone who MIGHT be able to make some new gizmo that we really don't need, or a child who has suffered some tragedy beyond the control of the parents or family?

If I want to invest money, I will invest in a company that has a good chance of being successful and returning a significant profit to me in return for my risk -- and I know how to analyze those opportunities. Crowdfunding does not present these kinds of opportunities. If I am interested in a new product I will wait until it comes to market and is shown to be successful.

dan mchale
(wildlife) - MLife

intel on 07/06/2013 14:01:46 MDT Print View

Jerry, you misspelled intellectual. That's a no no. :>)

"But sometimes people are driven by intelectual curiosity."

Did anyone notice that Davy Jones and Dan McHale have the same avatar? What's up with that? Maybe it's because their first names start with the same letter? Maybe Dave forgot where he got it? Maybe Dave doesn't do enough hiking to take his own photos?

Edited by wildlife on 07/07/2013 11:50:32 MDT.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: intel on 07/06/2013 14:04:10 MDT Print View

Hi Trace.

Ha!

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Crowdsourcing on 07/06/2013 14:05:15 MDT Print View

Bad analogy, Midas starved to death.

dan mchale
(wildlife) - MLife

curious on 07/06/2013 14:09:13 MDT Print View

What are you getting at now my brilliant friend?

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Re: intel on 07/06/2013 14:09:14 MDT Print View

If I was intelectual, I'de know how to spell it : )

That's weird, after I hit refresh button, DJs avatar switched from squid face to mountain lake and DM from a different scene to the same mountain lake

This is so confusing that people are constantly changing names and avatars : )

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Re: Re: Crowdsourcing on 07/06/2013 14:10:47 MDT Print View

"Bad analogy, Midas starved to death."

But not Midas Mulligan.

dan mchale
(wildlife) - MLife

photo on 07/06/2013 14:11:24 MDT Print View

Jerry, I was pointing out that Davy is using a photo of mine as his avatar. That in itself is not a big deal. I wonder if he knows where the lake in his avatar is located. You'd think he would have something else to show people besides a squid face or a photo of mine he lifted.

Edited by wildlife on 07/06/2013 14:16:44 MDT.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Re: Re: Spread the word on 07/06/2013 14:12:22 MDT Print View

"But sometimes people are driven by intelectual curiosity"

Perhaps. But sometimes it sounds like a bunch of spoiled children wanting a new toy.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: The Politics of Cottage Consumption on 07/06/2013 14:14:33 MDT Print View

Once again the forum discussion is more interesting than the article.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Re: photo on 07/06/2013 14:15:50 MDT Print View

That's YOUR photo?

It was posted by someone by the name of Trace @ www.trailspace.com which is where I got the picture. From what I believe it is Pinnacle Lake. Did HE take it from you?

This can't be you, can it? If it is, that is some pretty special intel you were pulling yourself! Of course, I figured it out on the thread. Transparency is a difficult concept for you. When I confronted you, you started calling people idiots. LOL.

Here is the link: http://www.trailspace.com/forums/gear-selection/topics/113220.html#113596

I have a suggestion: maybe write your responses on word and edit them there. You keep changing your posts and it all gets really confusing.

Edited by FamilyGuy on 07/07/2013 22:25:14 MDT.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Re: Re: photo on 07/06/2013 14:18:20 MDT Print View

Oh and Dan - as I mentioned to you before: Davey Jones IS the Squid Face. Cool, huh?

Would you like me to remove the picture of Pinnacle Lake?

No problem.

dan mchale
(wildlife) - MLife

Trace on 07/06/2013 14:19:38 MDT Print View

I was Trace. At that point in time I was trying to find out who a guy was using the avatar CWF that was saying things about my packs. I had no I idea it was you. There was no evidence of David Ure anywhere. You have since changed it to Family Guy. I'll bet you are a great family guy. Don't you have 2 boys? What do they do while you waste your time on the net?

Edited by wildlife on 07/06/2013 14:20:18 MDT.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Crowdsourcing on 07/06/2013 14:19:59 MDT Print View

Midas?

Midas Mulligan?

People constantly changing their names and avatars?

I am just getting so confused...

dan mchale
(wildlife) - MLife

stay away on 07/06/2013 14:22:05 MDT Print View

Jerry, I'm just pointing out you want to stay away from the Davy Jones creep.

Davy, Don't worry about anything. I saved your CWF posts. What's that stand for anyway? Should we have a guessing game contest?

Edited by wildlife on 07/06/2013 14:25:40 MDT.

Kevin Schneringer
(Slammer) - MLife

Locale: Oklahoma Flat Lands
Intro music on 07/06/2013 14:24:07 MDT Print View

I think instead of Avatars that Dan & Davey
Need intro music like Pro Wrestlers.

I can't stop watching! This is so entertaining.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Re: Trace on 07/06/2013 14:25:28 MDT Print View

"You have since changed it to Family Guy."

Nice try. I can't change that.

You sneaky little devil.

Hilarious - you edited again!!!

I have a Mchale LBP38 for sale; anyone interested? ; )