Forum Index » Post-Trip Reports » Hoover Wilderness from Leavitt Lake

Display Avatars Sort By:
Bill Law
(williamlaw) - M

Locale: SF Bay Area
Hoover Wilderness from Leavitt Lake on 07/01/2013 20:05:37 MDT Print View

I drove last weekend (June 21-23) to Leavitt Lake off CA 108 and hiked to Cinko Lk and back. 2 nights, 20 or so miles and a fair bit of uphill (for me).

"Full" trip report (and more pictures)

Notes

1. Leavitt Lake Road is pretty rough. I would strongly discourage anybody trying it in a car or if you don't want your vehicle scratched. There was one particularly difficult bit which required hugging a tree on one side and making sure one's opposite wheel hit a rock in the middle, else risking sliding into 18" holes on either side. I fretted about the return trip the whole time I was out.

2. Snow is almost gone (on the trail). The road up and over Big Sam looked to still be covered in places, but is likely melted in the recent heat wave.

3. Fair number of PCT thru-hikers northbound, which suggests the snow coverage isn't proving too much of an obstacle going through the High Sierra further south.

4. Mosquitos started around 9200' down to the meadow (worse the lower one got). Moderate in places; worse in the morning/evening, less so midday.

Leavitt Lk:
Leavitt Lake

Tower Peak
Leavitt Lake

Big Sam
Leavitt Lake

Walker Meadow
Leavitt Lake

West Walker River
Leavitt Lake

Cinko Lake
Leavitt Lake

Edited by williamlaw on 07/01/2013 20:06:34 MDT.

Charles P
(mediauras)

Locale: Terra
Re: Hoover Wilderness from Leavitt Lake on 07/01/2013 23:00:14 MDT Print View

Excellent. I was going to go out of Leavitt Lake the weekend before but I was told by a ranger the road was still closed at that point. We ended up going out of Twin Lakes (up Little Slide Canyon over Mule Pass and on to Peeler Lake). Had a blast, great time of year to be in Hoover.

USA Duane Hall
(hikerduane) - F

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada
All that snow on 07/02/2013 08:55:09 MDT Print View

I'm very surprised to see all that snow. Thank you for the great pics.
Duane