Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » New SUL Quilt Idea...

Display Avatars Sort By:
Aaron Sorensen
(awsorensen) - MLife

Locale: South of Forester Pass
New SUL Quilt Idea... on 07/01/2013 17:43:40 MDT Print View

Came up with an idea for a SUL Quilt that I guess I will have to make now.

It will be similar to my sub 10 ounce quilt in the way it is made.
It will have a single layer of fabric on the bottom where your body would compress the down anyway.
The shape and width will be the same.

qw1

Looking at a 13 ounce quilt with 1.25" baffles and at least 6.5 ounces of 900 fill down.
Actually I'll probably use 850 fill as it's much cheaper and I cannot tell the difference, (probably the only difference is a few feathers in the 850).
Will use Nobul1 for the inside and M50 outside.

I will use a velcro for the neck area instead of sewing the neck down.
This will give me the ability to open the quilt up if needed. I like having the neck closed down like you see in the pictures. It traps the heat in and gives you something similar to a draft tube around your neck.

The biggest change in the make of the quilt is that it will have vertical baffles and one side will have the baffles end about 3-4" from one side of the quilt.
This will give you a single length chamber that you will be able to shift the fill from one chamber to another.
The idea behind this is to go from a 2 season quilt to a 3 season quilt when you shift the down tho the bottom 2/3rds and use it with a down jacket.

I figure the 2 season would get you down to 45 and probably 35 with the jacket, (I sleep cold).

This style quilt actually works better with a hammock or even a full length pad.
Of course the full length pad kind of contradicts the SUL weight.

My sub 10 is much warmer than you would think it would be for 9.8 ounces as it encompasses your entire body and traps the heat in much better than a standard top quilt.

I actually got this idea while emailing some info back and forth with John from Hikelighter.com.

Thanks John

Edited by awsorensen on 07/01/2013 17:52:31 MDT.

todd harper
(funnymoney) - MLife

Locale: Sunshine State
Re: New SUL Quilt Idea... on 07/02/2013 09:15:02 MDT Print View

Can't wait to see the results Aaron!

You constantly make me think and rethink things.

Eric Lundquist
(cobberman) - F - M

Locale: Dry side of the Eastern Sierra's
Re: New SUL Quilt Idea... on 07/02/2013 09:39:48 MDT Print View

How is the baffle design different than the Karo Step baffles from Enlightened Equipment quilts? I like the idea though, would keep the most down over your torso instead of slowly falling to your sides over the course of a night.

Aaron Sorensen
(awsorensen) - MLife

Re: Re: New SUL Quilt Idea... on 07/02/2013 11:12:10 MDT Print View

Eric

It would be the same concept as a karo with baffles.
I thing if you tried to move all the down out of the upper 1/3 about half the original down would shift back in over the night just do to the difference of pressure.

Having a 3" chamber on the side would make it harder to initially shift the fill down but would stay put once you do.

Matthew Perry
(bigfoot2) - F - M

Locale: Oregon
??? on 07/02/2013 23:10:58 MDT Print View

Aaron,
Not sure I am understanding the whole concept. I get the vertical baffles, and also the layer of fabric underneath, but how is it different than a Big Agnes bag (pad sleeve underneath), or an old WM Pod bag? I think i'm missing something here....

M

Aaron Sorensen
(awsorensen) - MLife

Re: New SUL Quilt Idea... on 07/03/2013 14:07:47 MDT Print View

Difference between the WM Pod?

It's a quilt version with the same loft and will handle drafts better and has much better venting options in warmer weather.
It is also 5 ounces lighter and would double as an elephants foot for even lower temps.

Same concept as the WM Pod really but a lot more versatile.

It's not like all of my concepts work anyway.
Of the 12 or so quilts and bags I have made, 10 of them have all been completely different. They just seem to find a niche that can fit into any trip I take.
I kind of like to push the boundaries yet I am a cold sleeper so pushing the sleep system is the best option.

Jason Elsworth
(jephoto) - M

Locale: New Zealand
New SUL Quilt Idea... on 07/03/2013 14:50:46 MDT Print View

My experience with karo baffles, on my EE quilt, wasn't great. The trade off between being able to move down around and effective down control needs to be very carefully managed.

Many moons ago I think Gossamer Gear had a quilt available with fabric on the bottom.

Will be interesting to see how this works out for you. I am always amazed by what people managed to produce by their own hand.

michael levi
(M.L) - F

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles
re on 07/03/2013 16:39:59 MDT Print View

My EE quilt weight 19.1 ounces and it has 12.9 ounces of down.

Matthew Perry
(bigfoot2) - F - M

Locale: Oregon
New SUL Quilt Idea... on 07/03/2013 17:06:12 MDT Print View

Thanks for answering my question, Aaron. Now we need pics from the field.

M

Aaron Sorensen
(awsorensen) - MLife

Re: New SUL Quilt Idea... on 07/03/2013 18:52:55 MDT Print View

I am working on a polycyro tarp with a single pole set up first.

I'll still need to get this done while the weather is still good.