Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Getting Fish to camp
Display Avatars Sort By:
Justin Nelson
(jnelson871) - MLife

Locale: CA Bay Area
Getting Fish to camp on 07/01/2013 13:26:32 MDT Print View

New to back country fishing and I am trying to figure out the best way to get fish from the stream to camp for cooking. What does everyone else use?

Andrew F
(andrew.f) - F - M

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: Getting Fish to camp on 07/01/2013 13:31:01 MDT Print View

Nothing fancy, just a gallon ziplock bag. If it's hot out or it'll be awhile til I get to camp I partially fill it with cold water and tuck it under some insulation in my pack.

Justin Nelson
(jnelson871) - MLife

Locale: CA Bay Area
Brilliant! on 07/01/2013 13:32:25 MDT Print View

Brilliant! One of those head slaper ideas. Going back up to Trinity Alps in a few weeks and will give that a try.

Kerry Wilson
(mntnflyr4fun) - F

Locale: North of Eugene, South of Portland
Zip Lock on 07/15/2014 23:54:56 MDT Print View

I'm in the zip lock camp, if I have a bit of a hike I line the bag with dampened grasses

If I'm close in, I just use a forked stick which I can keep in the water till I start for camp. (old school I know, please save the lectures on killing the grass and brush)

Gregg Lenart
(Mudwalker68) - M
Another thought.. on 07/24/2014 17:50:39 MDT Print View

One thing my backpacking buddies and I do is just pack our cooking gear to the lake or stream and enjoy dinner there. Having had bears near our campsites before we decided the further our cooking/eating area was the better. Plus we all usually met at one end of the lake for bragging rights. And of course no matter where we are we exercise caution when filleting and cooking these delights. Great idea with the baggie and cold water!