Forum Index » Multiple Use Gear » Pack-4-Back

Display Avatars Sort By:
Alex Guppy
(AlexGuppy) - M
Pack-4-Back on 07/01/2013 06:33:41 MDT Print View

After reading a few recent articles on lightweight camping chairs, the reluctance to carry them, and the joy of sitting on them, I thought I would post my own preferred back-support method.

I use a framed backpack to which I attach two pieces of rope near the top. My backpack has a handle conveniently located for this purpose, but almost everyone's pack has something. Then I tie those two strands of rope around a tree, or I use my hiking pole and a tent stake to create tension. Then I just plop down on the ground, buckle myself in with the waist strap and lean back. It's perfect for reading a book or journaling. The only trouble is just getting it right so that the rope doesn't dig into your neck or shoulders.

Dena Kelley
(EagleRiverDee) - M

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska
"Pack-4-Back" on 08/19/2013 15:17:26 MDT Print View

Ingenious, but requires a tree. I camp mostly in treeless alpine terrain. Went for years without a chair, but decided this year that I want one. I'm tired of being jealous in camp of my companions when they whip out their nice comfortable chairs and I'm sitting on a slice of z-rest on the ground.

Steve Martell
(Steve) - MLife

Locale: Eastern Washington
Re: Pack-4-Back on 08/19/2013 16:46:49 MDT Print View

Neat idea--and a good use of available resources.

Not really multi-use but one of my favorite luxury items is a home-made version of this:

http://store.kifaru.net/field-chair-p27.aspx

Mine weighs in at 6.5 oz and has fixed length fiberglass stays as the supports. I carry it on almost all my hikes now as it adds significant comfort for reading/writing/campfire dreaming etc. It's also nice to have a chair when you are stuck under a tarp/shelter in bad weather.

Jake S.
(spags) - M
Why carry something when you can learn a skill? on 08/26/2013 18:08:13 MDT Print View

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y76UbfBr5vo

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Pack-4-Back on 08/29/2013 18:13:11 MDT Print View

Jake,
I see that the Asian squat is not recommended to people with unusually large breasts.
Now, I don't want to cause any damage to my almost perfect body (apart from my unusually large breasts) so I will probably upload a shot of said breasts for evaluation.
I hope that some of the resident breast experts will be able to chime in.

Daryl Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
Re: Why carry something when you can learn a skill? on 10/06/2013 09:36:20 MDT Print View

Jake,

I liked the video. Funny but true.

I'd love to be able to do the Asian Squat. I am not and never have been flexible enough.

Franco,

Seems like large breasts would provide counter balance.

McDowell Crook
(mcdcrook) - M

Locale: Southeast
alite on 10/11/2013 12:40:30 MDT Print View

If I'm hiking solo I like to relax and read for long stretches of time. Nothing beats the Alite Designs Mayfly chair. A bit heavy at 1.4 lbs. but worth it on certain trips.

http://shop.alitedesigns.com/mayfly-chair.html