Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Forums Newsletter
Meals for a pre-diabetic (i.e. no sugar)
Display Avatars Sort By:
Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Locale: The WOODS
Meals for a pre-diabetic (i.e. no sugar) on 06/30/2013 18:57:31 MDT Print View

We just found out my dad is pre-diabetic and needs to cut back on sugar. Trouble for him is most backpacking food is sugary. Here is what we've come up with

Summer Sausage
Beef Jerky
Cheese
Crackers
Nuts of various kinds and flavors
Organic Fruit (no added sweeters)
Peanut Butter
Olive Oil
Mtn. House Meals
Potato Chips
Banana Chips
Baby Carrots
Apples (first day)

Any other ideas? Its hard when you are trying to avoid sugar and minimize wheat.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Meals for a pre-diabetic (i.e. no sugar) on 06/30/2013 19:07:12 MDT Print View

As a general rule for pre-diabetics, you want to avoid sugary stuff that is high on the glycemic index, like pure sugar. You can still eat some of that, but you need to balance it with a lot of stuff that is low on the glycemic index. Leave out the Gatorade, and you ought to be fine. Your list is OK.

One of my favorites is dehydrated quinoa. I buy the grain, cook it, and then dehydrate it, so I get these little tan nodules. It is a complete protein, which is unusual for a vegetable food. I rehydrate it on the trail using warm water, or I can eat it directly as a snack. It works best when mixed with some soup base and simmered.

--B.G.--

Ben H.
(bzhayes) - F

Locale: So. California
What did his doctor say about sodium? on 07/01/2013 11:31:04 MDT Print View

You might want to check out what his doctored said about sodium. The foods you list are pretty high in sodium and I thought reduced sodium was a big part of diabetes prevention too.

It seems like you should be aiming for complex carbs and reducing sodium.

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Locale: The WOODS
Sodium on 07/01/2013 11:58:25 MDT Print View

I don't know about Sodium, I'll be checking on that.

Link .
(annapurna) - MLife
Re: Meals for a pre-diabetic (i.e. no sugar) on 07/01/2013 12:29:00 MDT Print View

Miguel Arboleda
(butuki) - MLife

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan
Re: What did his doctor say about sodium? on 07/01/2013 17:24:58 MDT Print View

I'm diabetic. Have been for 17 years. I eat a low carb diet.

If you're going to reduce your carb intake it is imperative that you keep up the sodium, not reduce it. This is due to a physiological change that causes your kidneys to start flushing out sodium with potassium, which is essential for your health. A high carb diet (150 g or more) offsets this and you can safely reduce your sodium, but not on low carb. If you don't keep up the sodium you will feel lethargic, weak, possibly even nauseous. Also you should find a good source of potassium, like beef broth, because when you cook meat a large amount of potassium is leeched out.

If you continue to eat higher amounts of carbs, even after lowering them more than you ate before, you won't see the benefits of low carb. You must go down below your personal carb intolerance level, which is different for everyone. It's usually around 50 g a day or so for anyone who has metabolic syndrome, is pre-diabetic, or is full-on diabetic. What you are aiming for is for your body to switch to ketogenic (fat using) metabolism.

Also, if you reduce your carbs, you must up your fats so that you get enough calories for the work your body will be doing on the trail. You can't get enough calories from protein, and too much protein is unhealthy. The thing is, it takes your body at least two weeks to adapt to a low carb diet. If you try this in the mountains without giving it the necessary time to change over, you might not have the energy to do much of a walk, or you might feel pretty sick. I'd say stay with the high carbs for now if you don't have time to adapt before hiking, and do the change over when you get back.

If you're going to be doing high energy movement, then make sure you have enough carbs to deal with hypoglycemia. You don't want to pass out on the trail due to depleted glycogen in your muscles. If you are keto-adapted, you should already be able to deal with eating less food, but this is not something you want to discover on the trail.

Since you're pre-diabetic there is a very high possibility that you can reverse your condition if you learn how to eat low-carb. It's insulin resistance that is the culprit, and all that revolves around how much carb you eat. Try reading The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living by Jeff S. Volek and Stephen D. Phinney (and the accompanying book for athletes, The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance), that will clarify what is happening in your body, and then The New Atkins for a New You, also by the same authors, which tells you how to eat low-carb, and offers recipes. It's a completely revised take on the older Atkins book, based on much more recent and experiential research.

One problem is that there is very little information on low carb recipes for hiking, especially if you want to reduce weight and bring foods which won't spoil. I'm still very much seeking information on this.

Bob Shaver
(rshaver) - F

Locale: West
hikers need tons of carbs on 07/01/2013 18:01:55 MDT Print View

I'm diabetic, injecting two types of insulin plus taking oral meds. I've found that when I do endurance sports events like cycling or backpacking, I generally don't have a need for insulin. The exercise promotes the body to produce insulin. Don't be too fast to eliminate carbs from the diet during heavy exercise. test for blood sugar and eat accordingly.

Of your list, potato chips and banana chips have lots of carbs (sugar in the case of banana chips) but might be just what he needs when hiking. My danger is in taking too much insulin, waking up in the middle of the night, and then having to get the food bag down from a tree to eat.