Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Video of my 1235 gram / 2.72 pound / 1.23 kilo setup for a three day hike
Display Avatars Sort By:
Kevin Schneringer
(Slammer) - MLife

Locale: Oklahoma Flat Lands
RE:"Video of my 1235 gram / 2.72 pound / 1.23 kilo setup for a three day hike" on 07/01/2013 20:58:17 MDT Print View

Something to ponder for sure! When I first watched the video I thought it was just plain crazy!

But 8 months ago I thought getting a pack under 18 lbs was crazy.This has opened my eyes to the the possibilities of XUL. Is it for me at this point in my outdoor life-no.
But it made me look back over my gear sheets for sure!

John does have great gear reviews and info and it is nice to see these types of setups.
Even if you don't agree there is a lesson in it. This list is extremely thin but if you look on his site he still loves his Jetboil Sol Ti. I guess you get critiqued no matter what you carry...

John-Thanks for the post

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
Re: Video of my 1235 gram / 2.72 pound / 1.23 kilo setup for a three day hike on 07/01/2013 21:24:35 MDT Print View

Your video would make a great endorsement for Ziploc.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: Re: Video of my 1235 gram / 2.72 pound / 1.23 kilo setup for a three day hike on 07/01/2013 21:34:53 MDT Print View

so...has anyone used this set up for a week?

michael levi
(M.L) - F

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles
not every day on 07/01/2013 22:13:43 MDT Print View

This list is mostly just a challenge to go really light, you guys need to take it for what it is.

Of course adding a air pad, fleece blanket etc is what many people would do, and still it would be under 5 pounds.

But the point of Abela's post is the challenge itself of hiking with a crazy light setup.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: not every day on 07/01/2013 22:51:15 MDT Print View

"But the point of Abela's post is the challenge itself of hiking with a crazy light setup."

Right. Go it. But for how long? Overnight? Day hike? Groomed trails? Abundant water? Distance? We already know about the zero rain and very warm temps, and zero chance of a first aid requirement, but beyond that, this looks like a mental exercise in leaving gear behind instead of considering UL options, which ultimately generates questions on the practicality of the set up. Most of these questions are genuine in nature on how this set up would actually work for backpacking for several days where distance, location, and weather would become a factor.

Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Locale: Bristol,RI
Re: Re: not every day on 07/01/2013 23:00:53 MDT Print View

it's like physics with no gravity or friction. I tried to bring reality into it and got yelled at.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
IMO... FWIW on 07/02/2013 13:21:16 MDT Print View

John does post a lot of useful information on his website and it is a great resource for many folks.

So my thoughts and PLEASE, I am not being critical of John.

To me the value of posting a gear list is for others to see how gear can work as a system. The value of a gear list for most is how it can be used in varying conditions (3 seasons), with an eye to the variables in terrain, weather, etc. A gear list should be able to handle a trip of 2 to 7 days with the only variable being how much food is required.

I often do trips of a couple days in perfect weather that have base weights of ~2 lbs... but that is not useful to anyone except me on the specific trip.

IMO, to be valuable, a 3 season gear list should be inclusive of gear to handle rain and temps down to freezing. The hiker can remain warm, dry, and safe.

A couple years ago I posted a trip report of 3 days that included rain and low nighttime temps at freezing. FSO weight, excluding consumables it was under 5 lbs and included shelter, 32F quilt, rain gear, sleep pad, and a reasonable (IMO) FAK. Many folks found this useful -- although maybe a little spartan for their own use.

Of course, anyone can find fault with any gear list... opinions are plentiful.

Link .
(annapurna) - MLife
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Video of my 1235 gram / 2.72 pound / 1.23 kilo setup for a three day hike on 07/03/2013 12:11:24 MDT Print View

Jake D,doing personal attack , I don't beleive it!

Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Video of my 1235 gram / 2.72 pound / 1.23 kilo setup for a three day hike on 07/03/2013 12:39:10 MDT Print View

I didn't personally attack John nor you Anna.

Eric Lundquist
(cobberman) - F - M

Locale: Northern Colorado
Re: Video of my 1235 gram / 2.72 pound / 1.23 kilo setup for a three day hike on 07/03/2013 12:43:14 MDT Print View

Pretty spartan if you ask me but a great resource for what it takes, or more importantly doesn't take, to make up a simple 1-season setup for a few days on the trail.

For what it's worth, I'd probably call John a little crazy too for such a light setup, but he's had much more time on the trail to learn what he needs and doesn't need. I only get out about a dozen nights in a year, John gets 200! Much more time to get comfortable with sleeping on forest duff, predicting weather trends, and knowing the trail. I haven't spend enough time in a single trip or multiple trips to realize an item never really does get used.

Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Re: Re: Video of my 1235 gram / 2.72 pound / 1.23 kilo setup for a three day hike on 07/03/2013 13:12:28 MDT Print View

I'd like to know his miles out vs nights out. Come do 550mi/summer in the northeast when the weather can be 80F in the valley and 50F on top then dip into the 40s at night.

last summer highlights

29 x NH 4000 footers including Presidential traverse in a day (25mi)
280mi Long Trail thru hike in 17 hiking days

this is what i'm going up Sunday ;) no switchbacks out here.
http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4080/4803390796_c5ef31b48e_z.jpg

Steve Meier
(smeier) - MLife

Locale: Midwest
Always surprised... on 07/03/2013 16:09:52 MDT Print View

Always surprised by the need of some to attack and criticize that which they don't agree with. Are we really that insecure? There are lots of things here that I've tried, decided it was not for me, and moved on. I never think to share why it won't work, however, since I know it may for others. A little politeness certainly goes a long way...

Good luck on your hike, John. I wouldn't want to go that lean but will be interested to hear how it goes for you.

Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Re: Always surprised... on 07/03/2013 16:27:01 MDT Print View

All i said was his FAK was inadequate imo. I explained that superglue does not work to close wounds when they are still bleeding.

man you guys are touchy. should probably avoid rock climbing forums, you couldn't handle it.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Re: Re: Always surprised... on 07/03/2013 16:32:17 MDT Print View

Well it appears that our John has more gear and equipment than John Muir carried. Few of us will attain what Muir did in his lifetime, especially since he didn't have our technology and USGS topo maps. Abela will be fine. Sounds like he is out hiking and we are here critiquing him. Something wrong with that picture, IMO.

Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Re: Re: Re: Always surprised... on 07/03/2013 17:00:56 MDT Print View

I stopped critiquing yesterday until Anna decided she had to stick her little nose in this thread too.

If John was trying to help others, then I was trying to help John by giving him MY professional knowledge of advanced first aid (certified athletic trainer since '05) I also asked my friend who is a physician and another who is a Paramedic and they both agreed with my advice. But apparently i don't know crap because I don't have a blog.

I had no other qualms with his gear other than a 6g addition.

I'll be hiking 30ish miles this weekend with somewhere in the 10k elevation gain range. oh no. my 11.5 baseweight is going to hold me back to still well below book time.

Edited by JakeDatc on 07/03/2013 17:04:58 MDT.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Always surprised... on 07/03/2013 17:29:35 MDT Print View

"If John was trying to help others, then I was trying to help John by giving him MY professional knowledge of advanced first aid (certified athletic trainer since '05) I also asked my friend who is a physician and another who is a Paramedic and they both agreed with my advice. But apparently i don't know crap because I don't have a blog."

I don't know if John was trying to help others. More of telling what works for him. Remember he makes a living from websites (apparently), so perhaps he is just driving traffic there. Nothing wrong with that.

Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Always surprised... on 07/03/2013 17:40:00 MDT Print View

The people being angry at me say that John is helping other people. So if they are going to use that argument then my counterpoint is valid.

If he is just pushing his blog then he should be posting in the On the Web section eh?

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Always surprised... on 07/03/2013 18:27:14 MDT Print View

Jake,

Don't take it personally. It's just a freak'n website :)

Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Always surprised... on 07/03/2013 18:46:44 MDT Print View

Who said i'm taking it personally? It takes more than 6g of gauze for me to actually care about the outcome.

I just found it funny that because he has a blog that he becomes sort of expert that we can't question or disagree with? 200 nights doesn't mean jack if he's always going out in perfect weather and temporpedic pine needle ground. Skurka's 8lb baseweight that can go through weeks and months of thru hiking is much more impressive and useful in real life.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Always surprised... on 07/03/2013 18:50:41 MDT Print View

I know Jake. Read my earlier post regarding the usefulness of gear lists. They really need to cover typical 3 season use to be of value to most hikers.

I did notice a lack of a pencil.