Forum Index » SuperUltraLight (SUL) Backpacking Discussion » Video of my 1235 gram / 2.72 pound / 1.23 kilo setup for a three day hike

Display Avatars Sort By:
John Abela
(JohnAbela) - MLife

Locale: www.hikelighter.com
Video of my 1235 gram / 2.72 pound / 1.23 kilo setup for a three day hike on 06/30/2013 15:36:03 MDT Print View

Hey All,

I threw up to youtube a video of the setup I will be using for a two night three day hike. Sorry for the bad audio quality... not sure what happened, this video camera usually has awesome audio. Might be time for a remote mic.

Full gear list is available here - minus the maps, still printing them out - which will add another 10 grams or so.

Just decided to take a nice leisurely hike so taking the full on cook kit (4.19oz) for some hot meals and coffee.

Base Pack Weight is 2.72 pounds.

Total Pack Weight is 6.41 pounds.

Full Skin Out weight is 8.88 pounds.

This will give those of you interested in checking out the orange color hybrid cuben fiber a chance to see what it looks like.

+John Abela

Jolly Green Giant
(regultr) - MLife

Locale: www.jolly-green-giant.blogspot.com
Re: Video of my 1235 gram / 2.72 pound / 1.23 kilo setup for a three day hike on 06/30/2013 16:11:34 MDT Print View

So just a bug bivy and no quilt? Relying on gloves, a wind jacket, a down hat, and a long sleeve shirt....but no puffy layer? No ground pad. And no rain gear at all? Guess your weather, temperature and environment are, in your estimate, entirely predictable with no chance of danger, surprise or error?

Edited by regultr on 06/30/2013 16:14:34 MDT.

John Abela
(JohnAbela) - MLife

Re: Re: Video of my 1235 gram / 2.72 pound / 1.23 kilo setup for a three day hike on 06/30/2013 16:29:33 MDT Print View

Hey Jolly, do not really need a quilt in 60 degree temps ;)

It takes a whole lot of rain for me to put on rain gear. 19 years of living in a rain forest has made me pretty tolerant of rain. Everything in my backpack is protected, so good to go. And, a 10 or 20 percent chance of rain, means it is not going to rain. At these high temps we are having, just do not see it happening. Plus, I have an 80 gram (2.82oz) tarp... what more does a hiker need :)

Do not need a pad... the lovely softness of the redwood floor is softer than any sleeping pad I could take. Really only use a sleeping pad for r-value, and at 60 degree nights, who the heck needs to worry about r-values.

Not really even sure *why* I threw in the BRG hat or the gloves. Guess there is still some level of "unpredictable" left in me ;)

And yeah... weather here in the Redwoods of Northern California are some of the most stable weather anywhere in the USA. For all their glory and magnificence, the Redwood trees just do not like unstable weather conditions, so, they make their own :-D

Hope all is going good back there for you. I very much look forward to a follow-up article on your highly custom made LHG SoLong!

michael levi
(M.L) - F

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles
re on 06/30/2013 19:44:24 MDT Print View

I think a down vest (4 oz) would be a lifesaver if the temps did drop. When asleep the body cools quite a bit.

The long sleeve shirt you have is 8 ounces!

You already have a hiking shirt, so switch that for the down vest and save weight and gain warmth!

I think you should atleast add in 3oz for a 1/8th ccf pad, it will help you avoid pokies and even the ground out a bit.

Edited by M.L on 06/30/2013 21:21:13 MDT.

John Abela
(JohnAbela) - MLife

Re: re on 06/30/2013 19:56:19 MDT Print View

Hey Michael,

The Icebreaker Men's Long Sleeve Chase Zip Multisport 200 that I am taking offers waaaay more warmth than any vest I have ever used. Its heavy at 7.9 ounces, but it is one truly amazing mid-layer. If I really felt there would be an issue with cold weather, I would probably just throw the Montbell Mirage into the pack (I think I could probably fit it in there, not sure) but again, it is just not something that I am going to need. Even if the temps at night drop 10 degrees... it would still be 50 degrees, and that just does not warrant it (for me.)

I have not actually seen if a GG 1/8th will fit inside of this new backpack... not sure if it is tall enough, and no way it would fit all rolled up, I just do not have the room for that. But just not needed for this trip.

Thanks!

michael levi
(M.L) - F

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles
re on 06/30/2013 21:22:40 MDT Print View

You could always strap the pad to the outside of your pack. But honestly you know the conditions, when I was a kid I never used a pad, I always thought they were for old people.

One last thing, my large MB tachyon (blue) weighs 2.5 ounces. How did you get yours to 2oz?

John Abela
(JohnAbela) - MLife

Re: re on 06/30/2013 21:45:22 MDT Print View

You could always strap the pad to the outside of your pack. But honestly you know the conditions, when I was a kid I never used a pad, I always thought they were for old people.

One last thing, my large MB tachyon (blue) weighs 2.5 ounces. How did you get yours to 2oz?

I gotta say, I have used a 1/8th pad a lot... well over a 1000 miles, and it has just never done any good at all for providing support from rocks and such. The only reason it has ever gone with me is to protect my cf bathtubs, rather than using a groundsheet.

As for the Montbell Tachyon Wind Jacket... Montbell updated them for the 2013 edition. It was first announced by Damien when he was at the 2012 Summer OR.

They are 1.6 ounces for side medium. Mine is a large so it is 57.76 grams (2.037 ounces).

Montbell Tachyon Wind Jacket, 2013

Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Locale: Bristol,RI
Re: Re: re on 07/01/2013 10:53:25 MDT Print View

Edited by JakeDatc on 07/01/2013 19:55:24 MDT.

John Abela
(JohnAbela) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: re on 07/01/2013 16:13:36 MDT Print View

i know it's SUL but you have nothing to stop any sort of bleeding. a few grams of gauze and a few bandaids would seem to be useful. would be much more useful than neosporin for a 2 day trip, especially with nothing to cover the cream afterward.

Superglue 9:02 ;)

a torso sized 1/8" pad folds into the size of a magazine.. there is plenty of room in that pack for it if you wanted it.

lolol, you guys are not giving up on the 1/8th pad huh LOL

I keep waiting for somebody to just suggest the famous butt pad hehehe.

Thanks Jake :)

Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: re on 07/01/2013 16:29:01 MDT Print View

Edited by JakeDatc on 07/01/2013 19:56:00 MDT.

John Abela
(JohnAbela) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: re on 07/01/2013 16:40:47 MDT Print View

lol, there is always the light daves arm on fire method... if the superglue does not work :-D

Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: re on 07/01/2013 17:02:01 MDT Print View

Edited by JakeDatc on 07/01/2013 19:56:33 MDT.

Jason Elsworth
(jephoto) - M

Locale: New Zealand
Video of my 1235 gram / 2.72 pound / 1.23 kilo setup for a three day hike on 07/01/2013 18:41:23 MDT Print View

Jake, you probably know this, but John really isn't posting here for feedback:).

Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Re: Video of my 1235 gram / 2.72 pound / 1.23 kilo setup for a three day hike on 07/01/2013 18:59:34 MDT Print View

Edited by JakeDatc on 07/01/2013 19:57:17 MDT.

John Abela
(JohnAbela) - MLife

Re: Re: Video of my 1235 gram / 2.72 pound / 1.23 kilo setup for a three day hike on 07/01/2013 19:18:43 MDT Print View

yea, he wants blog hits

Heck yeah I do!!

The more people viewing my articles, the more people buying gear from companies. The more people buying gear from companies the more they are ordering material and products from those who make it. The more those companies that make the material and products sell they more revenue they have for further R&D and thus the better products they are able to sell in the next generation of their gear. The better the products they make, the more more the gear companies buying it will buy, because more folks like us are buying their gear because of great products!

So, yes, please, help us all out... visit my articles... buy some gear!!

And, hopefully from reading some of my articles or watching my videos you will find some encouragement to get out and try some SUL/XUL hiking of your own! It is fun, hard, challenging, and will teach you new things.

So yes, please, help the Lorax!!

Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Re: Re: Re: Video of my 1235 gram / 2.72 pound / 1.23 kilo setup for a three day hike on 07/01/2013 19:38:57 MDT Print View

Edited by JakeDatc on 07/01/2013 19:54:41 MDT.

Aaron Sorensen
(awsorensen) - MLife

Locale: South of Forester Pass
Re: Re: Re: Video of my 1235 gram / 2.72 pound / 1.23 kilo setup for a three day hike on 07/01/2013 19:44:55 MDT Print View

The idea of being able to do without is what backpacking "Light" is all about.

I hate the fact that people consider light to be a sub 10 pound base.

I even scrutinized John's list for not being light enough.
He also has a few pieces of gear he could do without.

As a tester, I think he is just bringing them along for the testing purposes?

John spends about 200 nights out in the wilderness testing gear.
If he says he doesn't need it, who am I to say he does?

John Abela
(JohnAbela) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Video of my 1235 gram / 2.72 pound / 1.23 kilo setup for a three day hike on 07/01/2013 19:46:08 MDT Print View

Jake D (JakeDatc): do we get to mock when you end up unprepared? or have to use the fancy windshirt to sop up blood ;) you can't superglue a bloody nose.

If you want to turn a gear list / video into a personal attack, by all means, continue on.

If you think personal attacks are a means of voicing your thoughts, go for it.

I share what I share to potentially help others. I help, you attack. Good plan.

Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Video of my 1235 gram / 2.72 pound / 1.23 kilo setup for a three day hike on 07/01/2013 19:53:48 MDT Print View

enjoy

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Video of my 1235 gram / 2.72 pound / 1.23 kilo setup for a three day hike on 07/01/2013 20:36:26 MDT Print View

John,

Interesting kit list, a bit too minimal for me as from experience I know I would need a decent pad and quilt or else I would not sleep well and be tired next day but your post does tell me I need to get my pack a bit lighter.

:-)